Let me try a German song here:

It's called "Wenn das Nachtprogramm läuft"

meaning, when your sitting the whole night in front of your TV, watching (bad) commercials without break. And actually this one is on those people, not able to interact with other human beings and becoming more and more strange.

Though it's a german song, the video should be rather universally understandable. Let's see and I'm grateful for any open minded feedback.

https://youtu.be/w15A7W7I2VU

Best regards from Germany,

The Basement Kid

Comments

• You must have put a lot of effort into that video! There's a lot going on there.

I enjoyed listening to the music, though I don't speak German, so couldn't follow the lyric. But it's a good sound.

• Yep. This was a certain effort... and fun. Given that I'm "adult" since many years, the childish part of me still quite often overwhelmes me.

And thanks for the positive feedback :-)

• I speak pretty good German, although I am a bit out of practice these days :) I'd count Reinhard Mey as one of my songwriting influences (which shows my age lol). I enjoyed this. Clever lyric and the musical arrangement really suits it. And the video is very slick and amusing.

It's nice to see someone writing in his own language instead of feeling that they have to write in English, which puts them at a disadvantage. I've tried writing in languages other than my native English and only ever managed to finish one song to anything approaching my satisfaction.

• Thanks a lot for the great feedback and interesting to meet someone here, knowing Reinhard Mey (I rather wouldn't have expected that).

Actually, from time to time, I'm also writing in English, From the personal perspective there are pros and cons: English is in so far "easier" that I know less alternative formulations while in German the choice of THE best wording is much bigger and thus can take pretty long. Also, English is phonetically easier to adapt & sing.

On the other hand: having less options makes it harder to put some subtil messages/emotions etc. between the lines and for the audience this could most likely sound more generic/less authentic.

Best regards,

Basement Kid

• I'm sure Germany has their own music market

Good job

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited May 2023

My dad spoke low german for years , We changed our last name do to the Hitler vibe back in the 50ties

My uncle changed his name from Krahne to Brown for the same reason

I'm not sure how they got from Germany to States in 1946 or so

they never talked about it

Sometimes I pick up German words , but never pursued learning the languge

• The video is amusing and super entertaining. Although I don't understand German, I totally enjoyed the show. The music and melodies are great. Good stuff :)

• Thanks a lot and yes: to my knowledge the 4th largest in the world :-)

Oh wow: in those days obviously any German sounding name must have had Hitler vibes, but fortunately (after 4 generations) this is over. I mean, obviously still you don't wanna be called Hitler or Goebbels, but Mueller, Meyer, Schulze isn't that suspicious anymore. Even in Hollywood, you have some German names such as Diane Kruger, who must have lost her Umlaut (ü) :-)

Thanks a lot and even the making of the video was super entertaining (I swear we've been sober, except when we were writing the script). A while after I have finalized a song, I finally put them into 2 categories: those with melodies and/or phrases which keep in mind and those who don't. Meanwhile I can say, this one belongs to category 1.

Best regards,

Basement Kid

• I confess I don't speak German either, however it doesn't stop me from enjoying a great piece of music. I get the jist of it from the video. I'll echo what's been said already, really good to hear a song sung in your native language. English does not have to be the default. I really enjoyed this.😀

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited June 2023

Yeah Americans think they have it covered

My grand father died on a train chained to a box car , they thought he was crazy , He's appendiz burst , He was 35 years old

Of course my dad was a story teller , later he said he was kicked by a horse

That was in Texas or something . might have been Canada , They were there first .

My other grandfaher was shot in a bar , rumor has it he was in the mafia

They all came to America from Germany in 1941 or so ..... 8 kids

• Interesting: so far I thought that Germans mainly brought rocket, submarine & nuclear technology to the US and Mafia was rather an Italian job. But it's easily possible that Germans contributed to this as well: in the end the whole Nazi organization was nothing else than a huge Mafia like apparatus. Unfortunately equipped with an infinite amount of hatred and weapon technology :-(

• Interesting video and a cool song! It has a sublime vibe. Other than a few words and phrases, I can't understand the lyrics. Nice acoustic guitar work! The melody calls to mind a song from the mid-90s called "Barely Breathing" by Duncan Sheik, and it's also mildly reminiscient of the style of the Cranberries. Thanks for sharing!

• MoraAmaroLaLoba
    MoraAmaroLaLoba Madrid (Spain)

Hola @Basement_Kid ement

I think it's the most absurd advertising video song I've seen so far!! I still don't understand but it's been a lot of fun! A mix of real-pub-fiction-lyrics--music for the world world hahaha Catchy music!

• Wow, thanks a lot for both comparisons. Didn't know "Barely Breathing" by Duncan Sheik yet and just checked it. Yes, this is the type of Indie style & guitar pronounced singer songwriter stuff, I like pretty much. And well... being (mildly) compared to the Cranberries style is an honor anyway :-)

• Yep. Making it the most absurd advertising video was one of the video goals. Some explanations on the "products" we promote:

• Anti gene radiation glasses against the gene radiation emitted by 7G smartphones (aluminum hat unfortunately fails)
    • A wooden security wedge (doormaster 3000) which can be programmed and remote controlled via a smartphone app.
    • Dr. Wank's speed polish, delivering 15 extra horse powers for your car.
    • And of course a turtle bycicle helmet :-)

But in the end, the video shall not be completely funny, but also somewhat sad & dark, since it's focusing on escapism, as well as the lyrics do.