United

I wrote this years ago, and it's probably my most popular and most played song, although, understandably, it won't mean much to most here. I guess you could say it has a strong niche appeal.

Forty years ago today my brother Malcolm and I witnessed the culmination of a miraculous season for our home town football club when they won the Scottish Championship with a victory at the stadium of our local rivals on the last day of the season. For a small, unfashionable club with no big money players - almost all were local lads - up against the might of the "Old Firm" of Rangers and Celtic, it was an astonishing achievement. They went on to humble the biggest teams in Europe. This song is a tribute to those glory days.

The "Luggie" in the chorus refers to the nickname of one of those local lads, Paul Sturrock, while Ralphie is Ralph Milne, the kid whose most memorable goal was one on that day.

https://soundcloud.com/themysteriousbeings/united

UNITED

Farewell you dirty streets

Of the city by the Tay

Where on Saturdays I watched United play

I must leave your windy shores

There are places I must see

But I never will forget my home in old Dundee

I was there in ‘83

When Ralphie made us smile

With the shot that brought the flag to Tannadice

And I was there in ‘87

When the Buddies broke our hearts

And the long long journey home from Hampden Park

CHORUS

And United we’d stand

Against the proudest in the land

Oh the glory days will surely come again

The Old Firm wi’ all their loot

Were nae match for Luggie’s boot

And for once the good guys won in the end

When Moenchegladbach came

They hardly knew our name

And the manager was glad of an easy game

He got a little bit upset

When five goals hit their net

And he couldn’t wait to get his boys back on the plane

The kids who pay today

To watch corporations play

How I wish they could have known those days of yore

When eleven Scottish lads

Grabbed Europe by the nads

Gave it everything they’d got

And then gave more

CHORUS

And United we’d stand

Every Saturday we’d go

In the rain and in the snow

My brother, his friend Boris and wee Ted

Cup of Bovril and a pie

To keep the cold away

As we all joined in the shouts of “Come on, United

So come on and stand with us

Stay off the Glasgow business

Support your local club and dare to dream

Hearts, Killie, Motherwell

Even Dundee, what the hell!

A true fan stands by his hometown team

CHORUS

And United we’d stand

Copyright 2016 Gavin Sinclair

Here's a short video about the team's achievement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhXSnfi1ZoY

Comments

• Booo!

Nah, I'm kidding - I've no allegiance one way or another.

A lovely ballad and an engaging story. You voice has a wonderful character to it that carries this sort of lyric with aplomb.

All the best - here's to more wins for 'the good guys'.

CCB

• Well Unites States think the own the market I guess

So your songs relate to people in Scotland

Good job !!

• Thanks, CCB, this was one of the first songs I wrote, and it probably shows in the simplicity. If I were writing it now, I'd probably throw in a key change or something to change it up a little, since it is pretty long.

These particular good guys could do with a few wins these days - they seem to be heading towards relegation.

• Thanks, Elvis. Actually, it's only a small subset of people in Scotland lol. Supporters of Dundee United, of whom there's not that many.

• Some have strength in numbers, some have strength in spirit.

Some more have strength standing in the poxy rain watching their team get pumped 4 -1 every ruddy Saturday. 😁

CCB

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited May 2023

Well at least some of you have a sense of humor

Do you believe in love at first sight ?

Let me drive back around

• I like that chorus! I can imagine that being sung in a pub after a match! A little niche, but meaningful to those who understand.

• Very niche, Owen. I wrote this from the heart rather than following any marketing strategy, but aiming for a niche is a pretty good idea sometimes.

• icystorm
    edited May 2023

I enjoyed listening, Gavin. It's a cleverly-crafted folksy tune that would fit well in a pub after a match as Owen suggested. Good music and vocals as usual, and the mix is crystal clear to my ears. Nice work! 😎

• Lovely song. I used to take my kids to watch Notts County!! (No - not Forest). For those unfamiliar with UK geography, that's some way south of the River Tay (another country actually!!)...about a mile north of the Trent to be precise!! Better times for the Pies just now but it's been a long time coming. I know where you're coming from with this song. I'm not a huge footie fan, but I understand what it means. I think our stories are not entirely dissimilar.😀

• really great tune! Really took me away for a few minutes. production/sound top-notch as always

• Thanks Icy. Definitely a song for live performance somewhere like a pub, not least because of its length!

• Notts County, @ChrisPrice - a venerable old club indeed. If I'm not mistaken, they're the oldest football club in the world. And congratulations on promotion back to the EFL. I know about that because I'm friends from way back with the other Notts County supporter 😁 He was at Wembley and posted about it on Facebook the other day.

• I can see why this is a favorite! It has a special message that hits the hearts for those who understand. It's super enjoyable without understanding too.

@ElvisNash, For the record, I don't believe USA expects to 'own' any part of soccer.

My son played competitive soccer and it's a very exciting game. I truly enjoyed this song! Love that 'the good guys' won :)

• MoraAmaroLaLoba
    MoraAmaroLaLoba Madrid (Spain)

Hola @OnlyGavin

Yes, I remember this one, it's soooo catchy and well everything!!! Enjoying it again, thank you!! Lovely story too!!!!

I love a lot the soundd your reach with guitars!!!

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited May 2023
  • Your voice is so clean James Taylor would blush. I'm a fan of your work. Your a good song writer. Cheers!

• Dig it Gavin. Really like your style.

That chorus is very catchy!

• @jrandolph Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed it.

@Andrea Thanks for the kind words. It's rare for "the good guys" to win. The next season, the bad guys reasserted themselves when United reached the semi-final of the European Cup (what would be the Champions League today) and beat AS Roma 2-0 in Dundee. I was there. In the return leg in Rome, they were subjected to really nasty abuse - spitting, kicking, all kinds of cheating - and lost 3-0. It later emerged that Roma had bribed the referee. At least Liverpool beat the scumbags in the final, but a Liverpool v United final would have been quite an occasion!

• It sounds like a very exciting rivalry, with some nasty crap thrown in to ruin the 'love' of the game. It's such a shame that 'bad guys' will be 'bad guys' :(