Cuckoo's Nest

CorkingCrackBand
edited March 2023 in Covers

https://on.soundcloud.com/4SdVF

A cover of both songs (traditional folk songs themselves) by the same name by two separate folk rock outfits. The first 2/3's is a cover of Morris On's (functionally The Albion Band) song Cuckoo's Nest and the last 1/3 is Cuckoo's Nest by Steeleye Span - which was the last 1/3 of a song they did called Drinking Down the Moon! Confused?!😀 My vocal is pretty strained at the start but is better (when hidden) when the instruments come in. I added some lyrics in to Steeleye Spans song, namely:

The King is dead

The King is dead

His crown is on the ground

The King is dead

The King is dead

His body can't be found

Perhaps he walk amongst us

No tomb to home his rest

Forever ever hunting down the Cuckoo's Nest

Hi the Cuckoo

Ho the Cuckoo

Hi the Cuckoo's Nest

Hi the Cuckoo

Ho the Cuckoo

Hi the Cuckoo's Nest

Sirens on the rock put many men to tortured test

Tempted by their cravings of the Cuckoo's Nest

Comments

• I haven't heard any of the originals, but this definitely has a style and mood going. I think the instrumentation and mix are working well for you.

• Cheers @RainyDayMan - I love a bit of traditional folk music and always loved the 70's folk rock scene's reinterpretations of the old classics, so this was fun to do.

CCB

• icystorm
    edited April 2023

I agree with Owen's comments. I haven't heard the originals, nor had I heard of the artists you mentioned, but I enjoyed your version and your added lyrics, particularly 'Sirens on the rock put many men to tortured test'. Was that your addition? Regardless, cool stuff! It conjures up an image of Medusa! LOL! I considered a song title of 'Medusa's Charms' for the soundtrack for my new book, but probably not. Anyway, I enjoyed listening to your cover, CCB. Nice work! 😀

• Thanks @icystorm

Yeah, everything except the :

Hi the Cuckoo

Ho the Cuckoo

Hi the Cuckoo's Nest

Hi the Cuckoo

Ho the Cuckoo

Hi the Cuckoo's Nest

in my post was added by me as the original only had 2 verses and a repetitive chorus - in traditional folk style. Seeing the length of the song I made, I felt it best to change things up a bit and added the additional lyrics - I'm glad you felt they worked. I'm still looking forward to what you rustle up for your latest piece. I'll keep my eyes peeled. 👍️

By the by Morris Ons Cuckoos nest is well worth checking out. I didn't change it much but the original is wonderful and atmospheric. 😉

CCB

• So Jack Nicolson did not write the song ?

Good job , Never heard of them artists

• I doubt the English folk rock scene made much of a splash stateside. I know Dylan was a fan of Ashley Hutchins... that's all I got. 😀

Oddly Nicolson did write on both of these songs after taking a Shining to English folk in the early 70's. He ghost wrote both of them...

• Impressive! Is that you playing the accordion? I'm old enough to remember Steeleye Span, although All Around My Hat is the only song that comes easily to mind.

Interesting metaphor, the cuckoo's nest, although the fact that they get married kind of obscures the obvious implication. In the second song, with the mention of the king, I wondered if it might be a Jacobite song with a coded reference to the Hanoverian usurper.

• I kind of like the marriage (despite as you say it rather ignoring the heavy suggestion) as it gives it a rather sweet nature to the prior suggestiveness - and makes it less dodgy to modern sensibilities. I don't disagree with your point, though.

Your accordion question is a painful one for me to answer - when I went to play my accordion on the track (yes I play accordion - i love it's sound and have to remember to use it more) something wasn't right - a reed stuck somewhere I think. I had to buy and download a (to be fair very good) plug in and use that. Of course, having recorded the song and going to take my accordion to be mended I suddenly found it working again... That should be a happy ending but then I'm a glass half empty kind of guy! 🤣

As to the king, as mentioned above, those lyrics were added by me - they don't really fit the song and were just spur of the moment 'I need something' lyrics.

Anyway - thanks so much for listening. I love folk rock but I know the length is an ask.

CCB

• This is also a first time listen to this song, and I am loving this recording.

Very captivating and truly full of emotions.

This is the only way to sing, well done!!!

• Hi @ReneAsologuitar

Your covers are all things of real beauty, so thank you for your kind words.

CCB