Rattlesnake

Here’s another rocker! It features more mischief from Spider Maya...that darn vixen will be the death of me!! The words are, shall I say, a bit rock n roll but I don't think there's anything offensive.

I think there’s a few things to tweak with the mix before this goes onto my up-coming 4th album. I’m interested to see what reaction it gets.

Rattlesnake

Words and Music by Chris Price ©2024

https://on.soundcloud.com/n6hiC

I rented a Ford and I drove all day along Highway 99

Four hundred and twenty five miles so I’m thinkin' that now is the time

To check into the El Capitan and take me a break

When I walk up to reception, well that’s when I make my big mistake

She got big green eyes but I didn’t realise, I still recognise that rattlesnake perfume

So I got me my key and I got the number and I gave her my nom de plume

As I lay down my head, right there in my bed, Spider Maya was there in the room

She said it’s real good see ya hun, n she love me so hard until my back break

She scream n holler, yeah nothin’ bout Spider Maya was fake

When I woke up she was gone, gone with my money and all I could smell was her rattlesnake perfume

I check into the El Capitan to take me a break

When I walk up to reception, well that’s when I make my big mistake

She got big green eyes but I didn’t realise, I still recognise that rattlesnake...

She said it’s real good see ya hun, n she love me so hard until my back break

She scream n holler, yeah nothin’ bout Spider Maya was fake

When I woke up she was gone, gone with my money and all I could smell was her rattlesnake perfume

Tagged:

Comments

• icystorm
    edited February 14

Another winner, Chris! "Rattlesnake" is a clever rocker with good vocals, solid guitar playing, nice arrangement, and cool lyrics. Nice work as usual!

It's always challenging to find anything to critique in your songs, but if I had to pick a single thing about this one, I would say the hi-hats (or maybe it's a combo of hi-hats, crash cymbals, and/or shakers) cloud the mix a bit. It's nothing major, but I think the overall good sound would be even clearer/cleaner if those were dialed back just a little or those specific frequencies were targeted and reduced. Your production and mixing skills dwarf my own, so take my comments with a grain of salt. It's a cool song and I enjoyed listening! 😀

Cheers,

Joseph

• Thanks Joseph. Your suggestions make sense. The mix is something I intend to have another look at. I'll rest my ears for a day or two and then have another go at it. I'll have in mind what you've said here. I think you could be right.

• You're welcome, but don't change it too much! It's a very strong track and cool song exactly as it is now. 😀

Cheers,

Joseph

• Classic Chris Price rocker! High energy tales of bad women ;)

May I ask why you went with "Rattlesnake", rather than "Rattlesnake Perfume" as the title?

Excellent tune.

• Thanks guys. I couldn't wait! I've just done a remix. It's now the extended version which is how I originally wrote and recorded it. I've tamed the cymbals and hats a bit. Joseph was right about that. I've replaced the Soundcloud file. I think it's better but I can always revise it further.

The title?..Strangely enough, 'Rattlesnake Perfume' was my original title. I shortened it though I've no idea why!! I may revert to the original title when I put my album together.

• icystorm
    edited February 15

Awesome, Chris! Nice remix! Super good guitar solos toward the end after time index 3:00 min in this one!

Say, did you post a song last year with female AI vocals for the ad-libs? That one was cool too, and your new one reminds me a bit of it. The "Spider Maya" reference is familar too.

• Yes. 'Last Bus Home' had female AI voices. The 'Rattlesnake' reply here was done in a similar way.

'Spider Maya' is a dangerous temptress who's appeared in several of my songs. I got it from an online name generator along with several other similar names which I've used in the past. I like her the best!!

• RCJames
    RCJames Albuquerque, NM

Wonderful, consistent pace and structure to this piece. The mix has a winning balance to it. The vocal has a definite blues texture. Nicely done

• 70's Rock. Like the riffs, tone, and groove. Nothing to critique I just enjoyed listening.

• Hey Chris

it reads like a country song in lyrics

but rocks out real nicely

flows real well with your vocals

you have a great handle on productions

Great Job man !!

• Yep, my thoughts exactly, "Rattlesnake Perfume" is what sticks with me the most, the kind of lyric when you're flipping through a list of song titles, you'd think . . . I gotta' listen to that one !

Owen . . . "High energy tales of bad women" gave me a good belly chuckle.

Chris . . . this one really displays your fun approach to songwriting, and if all these tales are true, what a life you have !

• ..If all these tales were true the shock would probably kill me, and if not there's a lady at home who most certainly would!!😂

• Kayla813
    Kayla813 United States
    Yes, I can see the scenes in this one too
  • I listened to it 3 times in a row. It gives me a feeling of being on the road... awesome!

I love the Whaa Whaa Synth / Organ Sound in the middle...

• robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI

Great vibe on this. Very Steppenwolk for me. The lyrics are super imaginative