Tell Me About Donna

This was written for a challenge on another forum. I was given a random song title and the key in which to write the song. The title was 'Tell Me About Donna' and it had to in the key of Eb Major. Quite a tough challenge, but I'm pleased with what I came up with:

Tell Me About Donna

Words and music by Chris Price ©2023

https://soundcloud.com/chris-price-824458122/tell-me-about-donna?si=52a58f57444442e5ac5f3520b1fa3fc4&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

I lived at number fifty-nine and she was the girl next door

she play the kinda tom-boy pranks leave ya rollin’ on the floor

We kicked around an old football, the goal was my back door

It all changed when she grew up

We fell out and we never made up

Went on our separate ways just like you do

Tell me about Donna

Is she comin’ back to play

Tell me about Donna

Would she give me the time of day

Pretty face and a strawberry blonde hidden under her hood

I used to call her sweetheart though she never understood

I will if I can but I can’t so I won’t, I think I prob’ly would

Tell me about Donna

Tell me about Donna

Her daddy bought her an old guitar n she got into rock n roll

She played her first gig on a trailer, yeah I watched it all unfold

I blew her a kiss n she tell me darlin’, I’m not yours to hold

Tell me about Donna

Tell me about Donna

Comments

• icystorm
    edited November 2023

There's a lot to like about this one, Chris. I was immediately drawn to the title and thought, "Chris has a very novel title there. I have to hear this one!" Then the let down of learning it was only a random song title from a song challenge. LOL! 😂 Only joking! 🤣

Seriously, it's an excellent song! The song is reminiscent of rock songs from the late 60s to early 70s. It reminded me a little of an album rock track from the Gibbs called "Heavy Breathing" from 73 or 74. I enjoyed the lead guitar and what sounds like a crunched guitar mixed in too. The instrumental middle and guitar solo there were excellent. The chord changes between the lines "I blew her a kiss n she tell me darlin’, I’m not yours to hold" into "It all changed when she grew up" was my favorite part. Excellent lyrics, too. Among your best! Cool vocals, instruments, and a clear production/mix as well. Thanks for sharing! I hope you won the challenge! 😁

Cheers,

Joseph

• Love those guitar riffs!

This is really easy to listen to! Just very entertaining.

"Tell me about Donna" lines are very catchy.

Good stuff Chris!

• Thanks for your kind words Joseph. It was a challenge, so there's no winners. I think it's better that way. I feel that I got really lucky with that title. The key however had me thinking! Eb Major isn't the first key a rock guitar player would pick to write a song. But again I think it actually did me a good turn. I had to do a bit of homework to get it right and it made me come up with a couple of twists that I might not otherwise have thought of.

Thanks for listening😀

• ChrisPrice
    edited November 2023

I don't mind. This is the man who was saying that one of his tracks was influenced by Hendrix!! You say some extraordinary things matey! But, yes, you're entitled to your opinion.😀

• love the horns and key changes going into the solo starting at 1:38-2:13. Very well done sir!!

• Hey Chris :

"That's odd on the challenge, would be in a specific key: But you pulled it off ... It's really catchy"

• Billy_Lunch_Money
    Billy_Lunch_Money Leicester, England!

Nice one!

• Hi Chris . . . I think this is really a great song, and very catchy in that the hook stays with you, always a good thing ! Eb is not usually such a guitar friendly key, curious, did you use a capo, retuning strings, or lots of barre chords ? Either way, your guitar wizardry got it done !

• Kayla813
    Kayla813 United States
    This reminds me so much of how I am feeling tonight, hence the song I just wrote.

Previous, good love, and where it went.

This makes me feel less alone in thought and makes me happy knowing other people can write and express themselves as well.

Great work
  • Love it! A lot of fun and great energy. It reminds me of the 80's in some way - the vibrancy and nostalgia. Great work, Chris. Happy holidays to you!

• You know how to write a song. Your playing and melody is spot on. Nice work.

• KatiesPRIDE
    KatiesPRIDE Hertfordshire

I really like this, love how it tells a story. Really catchy and I'm sure that lots of us had a Donna in our lives, when we were growing up.

My kind of lyrics.