Here Today Gone Tomorrow

I have a new song. The lyrics are, I stress, not about anything in real life and came from something I heard in casual conversation. By the time I’d done it was a tale of heartbreak, tarot cards and more! It was originally going to be an acoustic song - the acoustic guitar is still in there, but it’s morphed into a power ballad. Here’s ‘Here Today Gone Tomorrow’ :

Here Today Gone Tomorrow

Words and music by Chris Price ©2023

https://soundcloud.com/chris-price-824458122/here-today-gone-tomorrow?si=34a5017ed8824ae9adce3c13b478131f&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It’s only just a glimpse, somethin’ I see in a smile

I’m gonna savour the moment, cos man I just love her style

Here today, gone tomorrow, nothing more I can say

Here today, she’s gone tomorrow, and I wish her well on her way

Aww baby she touched my soul, but I’m not guilty of any crime

In love in a matter of seconds, but she can never be mine

Here today, she’s gone tomorrow, and I wish her well on way

She’s on a fool’s journey, but the emperor had his say

n she is the high priestess in every single way

On to the wheel of fortune, for her it’s just another day

Honey we should have been lovers, but you just couldn’t stay

All in a look that in time will fade, feel the love it was there in spades

Hi five n a peck on the cheek, she’ll be in love again in a week

Here today, she’s gone tomorrow, and I wish her well on her way

Comments

• Ah that's good stuff. Really like this one. It's got a really nice balanced sound.

I like the background "here today, gone tomorrow"s too towards the end.

Top quality.

• Thanks for listening and for your comments. I use Steinberg Cubase 12 Pro. I'm a long time user of Cubase. It takes some learning but its worth it. Quite a few of the guys on the forums use Reaper...that's well worth a look and at US$60 (about £50 where I live) it's an absolute steal. Again it's a steep learning curve. You need a good audio interface & pc/laptop. The mic is a Rode NT1 condenser - one of the earlier white ones which I think was made in Australia. The newer ones are made in China but still very good. Again plenty of choice out there for decent microphones.

• Felicidades!!! I think it's the best of yours, or one of the bests, el caso es que me encanta, I love it, great song, special sound, excellent vocals, My only doubt is about the beginning and ending guitar. Cómo suena!!!!

• Thanks for kind words Mora. I may try a mix without those guitar parts and shorten the end section a bit as I think I agree with you. Maybe they do sound a bit out of place.😀

• https://app.box.com/s/11ejknaugycbkm6x0ejzr0w7nw0c314o

Mora kindly gave my song a listen and commented that she wasn't sure about the lead guitar parts at the intro and the end. I'm inclined to agree with her so I've done a new mix which is a bit shorter and leaves out those guitar parts. I'd appreciate any feedback before I update it on Soundcloud. I'm proud of this one - It's going on my next album soon so i want to get it right.😀

• Audacity is really an audio editor, and a very good one. I use it too. Yes, you can use it to record multi-track, but it's very limited in that respect. For starters you can't run virtual instruments - eg. drum programs, synths etc. which is kinda vital for home studio recording. DAWs like Cubase, Logic, Reaper and others tend to have just about everything on board. They are harder to learn than Audacity but worth it.

It might be a good idea to start a thread on this subject away from the songs section as I don't want to bump my song up too much talking about gear. I'm happy to help as I'm sure others here will.😀

• Hi Chris,

Another well-crafted song in your signature style. I like that you used tarot cards from the major arcana in the lyrics that describe the unattainable "runaround Sue"-type character you speak of. I listened to the SoundCloud version and was not bothered by the guitar intro and outro. Congrats on another great song! You are an inspiration.

Cheers,

HV

• Kayla813
    Kayla813 United States
    Great work!!!!!
  • Thanks Paulina. i really appreciate your kind words. To be honest I'm not very well informed on the Tarrot. I was just playing with words, but it all seemed to fall into place as it was meant to. Again, thanks for listening and take care.😀

• Chris great work. This song is a hit. I love it. Your song writing is always top notch!!!!

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited October 2023

Real good song Chris , Sounds good , Pro tools is $600.00, if you wanna go that way .

All cohesive on my end man

Good luck

• "I imagine, you could go nuts with all the toys Chris "

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/whats-new

• Pro Tools? I'm a long time user of Cubase. I have dabbled with Pro Tools but that was some time ago. I didn't spend anywhere near enough time to get to grips with it properly. Quite a lot of professional studios over here use it. I think that Cubase is capable of many of the same tricks. I try not to get too weighed down by toys and fancy production, though the temptation is certainly there.

I like to go for as much of a live sound as I can working on my own. I also play in a real band but getting the guys into my home studio isn't an option due to lack of space, so it's always something of a compromise. If I had the money I'd get us all into an analog studio and do it the proper way. I need a lottery win!! 😀

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited October 2023

"Right a lottery win"

"I just go to studios , I don't mess with any on it Chris"

"Push the button studio guy " : Now you mix it, I'm going home ....

• Kayla813
    Kayla813 United States
    This one hit me, it's very very good
  • Chris, I like this one! I can hear an AC/DC sounding guitar vibe in it. I cannot pinpoint the song, off the top of my head, but it’s cool.