Alternate lyrics.

When I register with ASCAP or copyright a lyric, how can I indicate that it can be sung with alternate lyrics. For example, a word with an alternate in a different language. Or give the singer / singers the choice to use either "I" or "we" Could I register the lyric like this: "I (we) love you." Maybe it doesn't matter, since I assume that if I registered the song using "I" then someone couldn't register the same lyrics just substituting "we", correct?


  • I don't use ASCAP, so I can only offer an opinion here rather than knowledge. I think you're fine re copyright. Substituting "we" for "I" or similar is not a significant or substantial change from the original lyric.

    In terms of actually letting an artist know that you've got alternate lyrics available, I would probably do what you are suggesting though I don't know if there is any particular protocol for it.

Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!