The loss of the Ira H. Owen - Lyrics & Song

Many horrible stories have been told about one of the deadliest storms on the great lakes which took place in the winter of 1905. The storm wrecked over 30 vessels and killed approx. 60 people. The most famous wreck was the SS Mataafa, after which the storm later was named, the Mataafa Storm. But many stories have not been told so far. This is the story and song about the Ira H. Owen and her last struggle against a merciless November witch...

https://soundclick.com/r/s8nvrh

Sorry for the "raw" recording, this was one take...

The loss of the Ira H. Owen

music and lyrics by Stefan Portune

The weather was fine and the forecast seemed fair

when the men at the harbor grew restless

their cargo well stowed and enough supplies bought

though the voyage this time would be guestless

Her cargo for Buffalo, State of New York

was loaded with bushels of barley

to deliver its freight till the end of November

a journey to carry her farly

19 sailors on board where a young crew for sure

not one was older than twenty

And when the captain fell ill, his first mate stepped in

But experience he got was plenty

The crossing they´ll make, he has already made

a numerous time on his duty

This voyage, he thought, will not last very long

will only be remembered just fluky

As the winds blowing in and the course being set

the ship slowly left Duluth Harbor

The engine starts swallowing the coal from the men

and the smoke starts to pull them ‘way farther

as the steamer grows small in the eyes of them all

their ship`s heading into rough waters

the men at the railing with their eyes getting wet

greet farewell to their wives, sons and daughters

farewell to their wives, sons and daughters

little did they know what was lying ahead

the ship made good speed, winds were breezy  

but when they reached the Apostles and looked up to the sky

the weather was about getting uneasy

the ships bell chimed softly, no one striking her though

an omen that frightens all sailors

when the storm grew stronger, tall waves hit midship

the crewmen started their wailers

The men in the engine room fought hard for their lives

to keep their boiler under fire

the steamer starts rollin’ from starboard and back

as the ice waves climbed higher and higher

they would struggle and fight against icy winds bite

when the ship was taking in water

the captain and crew knew what’s coming to them

greet farewell to their wives, sons and daughters 

a last farewell to their wives, sons and daughters

The hurricane struck them with full force by now

The ice winds kept coming straight

their captain not only the master of their ship

soon became the master of their fate

the Mataafa Blow on that November day

without mercy, without even caring

she capsized in seconds dragged down by the witch

unheard where the screams they were sharing

she lies 300 feet down in the darkness below

surrounded by dark and cold waters

her white men still guarding the last precious load

remembered by their wives, sons and daughters 

only by their wives, sons and daughters Hmmhmmhmm

She may be the first but tragedy struck hard

on that fateful cold November day

30 ships and more where wrecked in that night

but she lays unknown far Outer Island Bay

she may not be called the queen of the lake

but her fate came to tragic fame

her final voyage is now lost in time

but the Ira H. Owen was her name

the Ira H. Owen is her name

Hmm hmhmm hmhm hmhmhm

Comments

• Very nice! I like the story, and the music

It's good to have the chorus in there for variation given that it's a reasonably long song (much beloved of folk singers!!)

And I like the repeat on the last line in the chorus. Gives it more weight.

I'm going to call out quite a few things below as suggestions, but largely they are grammatical. As I said I like your song!

• "carry her farly". I'm afraid "farly" isn't a word. You might try "fairly" and live with the non-rhyme, but you have used "fair" already earlier in the verse
    • "19 sailors on board" feels a bit rushed. Maybe "19 on board"?
    • "where a young crew for sure" should be "were a young crew for sure"
    • "But experience he got was plenty" doesn't read quite right. Maybe "He had experience a-plenty"?
    • "a numerous time on his duty" should be "numerous times on his duty"
    • "greet farewell" > "bid farewell" Greet is only for meeting people not leaving them
    • "the weather was about getting uneasy" > "the weather was getting uneasy"
    • "the ships bell chimed softly, no one striking her though" -- this feels way too rushed
    • "the crewmen started their wailers". Not sure what this means. Is "wailers" a nautical term? If you mean "started wailing" then this doesn't work. Maybe "the crewman turned to the bailers" instead?
    • "unheard where the screams" > "unheard were the screams"
    • "she lies 300 feet down in the darkness below" again too rushed. How about "300 feet down in the darkness below"
    • "her white men still guarding" why describe them as white?
    • "30 ships and more where wrecked in that night" > "30 ships and more were wrecked in that night"
    • "but her fate came to tragic fame" I think it might match the rhythm of the previous line better if it was "but her fate came to the same tragic fame"

And feel free to ignore any or all of that if it doesn't feel right to you!

-Owen

• StefPo
    StefPo Germany
    edited February 2023

Thank you so much for your time, Owen! That's the problem with a non-native speaker...:-)

Appreciate you took the time to help me with this. I always mix up were and where...damn.

I changed everything you mentioned but I have two questions and one explanation:

1. What do you mean by "the ships bell chimed softly, no one striking her though" -- this feels way too rushed. Is it too early in the story or is the line somehow odd or too long?
    2. "wailers" was given to me by my translator in the meaning of lament. I sucks, but I will change the whole part to have a better match/rhyme. :-)
    3. her white men still guarding" why describe them as white? White men is a reference to "Old Whitey". The nickname was given to a deceased crewman of the SS Kamloops, which sank in Lake Superior in 1927. The decedent's body has remained underwater in the wreckage of the vessel since the foundering on December 7, 1927 and his corpse is incredibly white. But lets be realistic; if this gives a wrong imagination, I would change it. What do you think?

Cheers, Stefan

• Re this line:  "the ships bell chimed softly, no one striking her though" I meant in terms of the number of syllables there. To me it feels like a squeeze to fit them all in. But you needn't agree! Anything from me should be read as: have you thought about X? If you have and you like it as is then that is fine.

Re "Old Whitey", I think few people will know or understand the reference. If you are hoping to market the song commercially, then I think there is some risk of people taking it as a racial reference and being upset about it. It could make it less appealing to a publisher for example. If the song is for your personal enjoyment, to share with friends etc. then that won't matter as you'll have every chance to explain it, if asked, as you kindly did for me.

• Thx Owen, you're right, the reference is not vital to the song, so I'll change that too

• Re this line: "the ships bell chimed softly, no one striking her though" I meant in terms of the number of syllables there. To me it feels like a squeeze to fit them all in. But you needn't agree! Anything from me should be read as: have you thought about X? If you have and you like it as is then that is fine. sad dp

• MoraAmaroLaLoba
    MoraAmaroLaLoba Madrid (Spain)

Nice story and nice song!!