Radical Acceptance

Hi All,

this one's brand new. Let er rip. I'm open to suggestions.

Rob

Radical Acceptance

verse

Saying no is easy when i see

the boundaries serving me

it’s giving me room to feel 

what my spirit hopes to reveal

chorus

my heart is scared to open 

but i’m trying

for fear that’s something’s broken

now i’m crying

to make make up my mind to say

yes to today

verse

I’m finding the strength in myself

to put the critic on the shelf

i’ve found a new way to be 

That loving you is loving me

chorus

my heart is scared to open 

but i’m trying

these angry words i’ve spoken

but I’m trying

this fear is in the way 

now i’m crying

to make make up my mind to say

yes to today

yes to today

https://soundcloud.com/robcrozier123/radical-acceptance-1/s-LSbGbp1qvm6?si=f801c13dc956409da9520e3fe4e6666b&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Comments

• sidshovel
    sidshovel merseyside

Rob,

I enjoyed that a lot! I'm not a musician but I loved the music and vocals, such a clean rendition. You used a guitar style that reminded me of Justin Townes Earle, Steve's son, lovely approach.

Truely excellent and enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing.

Sid

• I like how you've structured the chorus, with those very short alternating lines, and then the long emphasis on "Yes".

I'm not sure about V1. V2 feels stronger and more direct, you could even open with that potentially, though you do want somewhere to evolve to.

But overall I like it. It's got a quiet, contemplative feel to it.

• robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI

Thanks so much Sid! It’s fun to share this with you all. I’ve learned to enjoy the process here on this forum. It’s a nurturing community. Very much appreciated!

• robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI

RDM, I agree. V1 requires some insight into my reason for writing this. It’s an assignment from my therapist and v1 comments on having good boundaries to support self care. Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. Maybe I can try and write a better verse to go to.

• robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI

RDM,

Option

v1

I’m finding the strength in myself

to put the critic on the shelf

i’ve found a new way to be 

That loving you is loving me

v2 (I think I like the other verse better still but this is more direct)

good boundaries are the key

You said take time for self and you’ll see

It helps to create the space

Apart from this human race

• It is more direct, but like you I prefer the first version.

You could possibly write two versions, one for your therapy, and one for a wider consumption, assuming you wanted to.

This is such a personal lyric, that whatever you think fits should be what you run with.

• robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI
    Great feedback. Thanks, RDM!
  • ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited May 4

Hey man I got a shrink , Great pickin man , Man your close on getting this perfect , Great job

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited May 4

Do you think Freud is qualified on doing more coke than Motley Crew ? i kinda have my doubts man , He must of had a drug dealer on speed dial before saying your crazy to everyone

• Hey, this is really beautiful as it is . . . that being said, you should probably develop it into a larger arrangement, but keep that excellent guitar feel still very upfront. It is simply a good song idea, I'm not getting the title "Radical Acceptance" . . . always tricky when you name it something that is not actually included in the lyrics . . . assuming you want it to have a wider pop song appeal ? I would focus on "yes to today" and somehow strengthen that line in the overall musical arrangement.

One thing's for sure, I enjoyed it immensely as is . . . the laid back vocal delivery and melody totally work against the guitar. My opinion is that the song idea is totally worthy of bigger things . . . this is the unplugged version, but it could be so much more ?

• carroll
    carroll Texas
    v1 The me that you want me to be.
  • robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI
    edited May 7

Thanks, Elvis! Love the comments. Haha! Ive been telling my shrink and my wife that I'm struggling to break through into the emotional "meat" of my songwriting. My therapist said "write me a song". My wife said "just do it." Sometimes getting stuck in my head seems like an occupational hazard. Haha.

Carol, really great suggestion for line 4 of the revised v1!

Popitup, thanks for the great comments. I was wondering if I should work with Yes to Today as a title. I was going for brownie points with "Radical Acceptance" since my therapist is always hammering that home. I really appreciate your comments! I'll think about how I can produce this one a little more. I think I'm drawn to the unplugged appoach at time with all of the Townes and Miss. John Hurt I've been listening to....

• First time I've heard this. Not sure if I'm hearing V1 or V2, but I like what I hear. Nice guitar picking and a really cool vocal. I agree with @popitup that the tltle is a strange choice. Great song😀

• robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI
    Thanks, Chris!
  • ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited May 8

Well my new friend , sounds like your shrink and wife are supportive , Ya got some real good guitar riffs going already

Its just a matter of flow on lyrics

most comedians just say laugh on the problems , Its probably the better thing to do , We can't take all this bullshit to serious

My shrink says , Oh we don't say crazy anymore , Well ok , lets use a new word lol

Wanda Sykes is hilarious , she's a black lesbian that marries a french white girl, Well I had sex with a man , I didn't get much of it , but he did , I am a entertainer

I went to starbucks yesterday , My wife said you look homeless , comb your hair , so you can flirt with the girls. pick up the ladies was the quote from her , No girls this time , only guys , Well next time Elvis , Who's Elvis anyway , your Ben , Well its a long story Nika

• robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI
    Thanks Elvis. I’ll work on some flow. I see your points. I’m working past my own self doubt and can see that, as with my work as a jazz bassist, the flow of is in the confidence. And allowing myself to write whatever comes out. Not judging
  • ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited May 15

Self doubt is a enemy that compels you to keep going , No worries its all a process . I'm 71 I know a few things , Well except about young wifes . Oh what a wicked web we weave , Well over her head . Every time I walk in a studio in some vocal booth , Man I can't sing , Ok push the button , Ok not bad , Self doubt pain in the ass . Like Cher she hates her voice , I don't know why lol. Well maybe the billions helps and the mansions , I doubt she lives in a mobile home on a lake . Back to self doubt , just humor yourself and talk to any one , every body has amusing stories ....

Hey, if you’re a country music fan… these are the best songs I have on this CD and I wanna send it to you for free. You just cover the shipping. Sounds fair? You’re gonna love this for sure. Click the link down below and get your signed copy”

Shit i have memory loss , how do i remember that ? lol