The Shopping List Song (sls)

Elvis made a comment on a song I posted recently (Things I've never been).

Generally speaking, it is a "shopping list" song that itemizes in 3 verses examples of issues the song tackles.

The basic song structure is a standard VVCVCBC.

Here is Elvis's comment: "You did a good job , But v2 continues the laundry list , You might consider taking that on a new angle and still make your chorus work ."

There are quite a few (sls) out there and on this forum, so it's fairly common.

Now, it's obvious why writers wish to list examples and it's equally obvious the pitfalls in doing so.

My questions up for discussion are "what approaches are available and which/why options work best?"

All comments are valid and appreciated.

Sid

Comments

• I don't really have a system for this. For me it's a case by case thing. I'd also say it's likely an individual reaction, so results may vary!

• sidshovel
    sidshovel merseyside
    edited May 4

Thanks RDM, I have a feeling your right. Although the sls is relatively common, there doesn't appear to be much comment or guidance into how to deal with the structure. The similarity in the verses is used to illustrate, emphasis or support the issue(s) at question in the rest of the song. The major problem this causes is repetition and the risk of boredom. As Elvis stated in another post, moving/changing one verse is tricky. It would fracture the principle of using a list in the first place.

Personally, as in "things I've never been" using very minor changes, in this case one word, does introduce some variation albeit minor. I believe it needs something extra such as change in the dynamics of the last line coupled with a noticeable transition into the chorus.

In my opinion, I think the Jury's still out on the value v risk of using a sls as a vehicle to support certain song contents.

I would probably think twice about using one again, at least in the near future.

Thanks,

Sid