Fade From Memory

I've got another tune I'm considering working on again. The track's really rough, possibly quite loud and may not be everybodies cup of tea.

I've added a midi violin as a vocal guide, as singing this one might be out of my league.

https://soundcloud.com/billy_lunch_money/fade-from-memory

COPYRIGHT 2023 (Oz Clarke)

Verse 1

Oh darling can't you see

You don't - belong to me... 

I went walking in the rain.

Enough to hide the pain.

Verse2

I saw behind your eyes.

To all the those precious lies!

How come you felt no Shame?

It's was my heart you'd slain!

Chorus

Just fade from memory

Fade out this misery

Verse 3

You read between the lines

What's mine is yours, aint mine. 

Your love became a stain.

It tore my heart a twain

ChorusX2

Bridge

If a time's a distance 

I've travelled far.

That time is jaded

Those memories have faded

Chorus/ Fade out

Fade out from memory

Long gone's my Misery

Fade out from memory

All gone, it's history 

Fade out from memory

It's my sanctuary.

Comments

• icystorm
    edited December 2023

@Billy_Lunch_Money Regarding the song itself, I think you have a winner. Most of the recording itself sounds good, but the muted/crunch guitar (or maybe it's a percussion/bass blend of sorts with an effect) that first appears around time index 0:32 sounds a little out of sync to my ears. I'm probably just nitpicking! It's definitely a cool and novel sound with a good vibe overall! I hope you develop it and finish it 😀

Cheers,

Joseph

• Works for me! I like the melodic change at the chorus - intriguing and unusual.

You might try a mini guitar solo at the end of each chorus before returning to the verse.

Like what you have so far!

• Billy_Lunch_Money
    Billy_Lunch_Money Leicester, England!

I should have pointed out the gaps. It was copied and pasted out of fourty or fifty odd seconds of material. @icystorm You are more than likely right about the syncing. I know I'm going to have re-record the whole think again. But before all that I'm definity going to have do a propper setup on my bass. I'm Just not sure about the lyrics, I'm 50 and to me they seem a bit juvenile?

• Kayla813
    Kayla813 United States
    When did everybody's love become so tainted? What a nice read, I can relate
  • Billy_Lunch_Money

@Kayla813 I don't know? It did in my twenties and thirties. But days it's just good fodder for lyric. It doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks

• Now that's some intro. Quite dark. Yeah, this needs a big vocal. I'm tempted but, to be honest, I'm a bit too long in the tooth to try and tackle something like this...I don't have the vocal range I had when I was younger. Potentially a killer track.😀

• I think this is a really cool song. Love the dark vibe with the guitar, drums and bass. I also think you have enough dynamics in the song so it keeps the attention of the listener throughout the song. Lots of potential in this one!

• pete692
    pete692 Las Vegas, NV, USA
    This is pretty amazing even without vocals. I have a couple tracks like that, songs that I know are just too far a reach, but you gotta give it a try. Maybe think of some different approaches. I also find that immersing myself in other people’s music for awhile can open doors.

Regardles, nice track, and I dig that growling bass, it really adds some menace to the strings
  • Billy_Lunch_Money

Thanks guys. I do have some ideas of how I want to approach the vocals. Yeah I can hit all the notes. My issue for a long time has been breath support. So there's little stability to my notes.  I have a arthritis in my spine due to an injury I got when I was 17 years old. It's around about the same level as my diaphragm. So the muscles are somewhat weaker than they should be. I've recently spoken to my doctor who has put my in contact with a physiotherapist and I'm doing those exercises to strengthen my core muscles. The next step, in the new year may be to sign up for vocal lessons to make sure I doing things correctly and just maybe that'll be enough... maybe!

• Nice one Billy! That intro is epic.

• Dosen't sound that rough to me Billy , some very interesting things going on

Nice job on the concept

• RCJames
    RCJames Albuquerque, NM

mysterious and some suggestion of ceremoniously Renaissance.

Slight suggestion on one of the refrains: "Fade the memory/ fade this misery.

Interested in hearing a voice in this.

• KatiesPRIDE
    KatiesPRIDE Hertfordshire

I like it, just a suggestion - would a woman's voice, of a higher pitch work with this ?

• Billy_Lunch_Money

Hi @KatiesPRIDE

My original idea was to sing the verses in a style similar to Peter Steel, in a low chest voice and the chorus' in a higher distorted tone. Though, I've not got round to it recording it yet; just no piece and quiet in my house at the moment.

A female vocalist might just work just as well! I didn't notice it, but I did write it in a first and second person context. So it applicable to either gender.

If there's anybody out there who want's to have a go at the vocals let me know I send you a backing track?