Important question, please answer. Thank you!

Hello. This is my first time writing my own song, so I might not know something, so I apologize in advance. I have a question. How can you make a tragic and sad song more modern, so that it does not sound like something from the nineties. So that it appeals to both the young and the more mature part of the population.

Comments

• icystorm
    edited December 2023

@Vikarlinia_08 asked "How can you make a tragic and sad song more modern, so that it does not sound like something from the nineties."

First, welcome to the forum! I think if you ask 50 different songwriters that question, you'll likely receive 50 different answers. 😁

From my perspective, one possible answer is to pick a style and genre you like; one that sounds "more modern" and "not 90s" to you. Then adopt it, and add your own flavor to it. Maybe you can juxtapose high energy music, a driving beat, unusual chord changes, and unexpected turns in the melody against the sad and tragic lyrics to make it fresh and modern. There's really no right or wrong answer. Just be you and create music you enjoy that meets your criteria. I look forward to hearing your song!

Cheers,

Joseph 😀

• robcrozier
    robcrozier Ann Arbor,MI

Hi, I would say to sketch the song with contrasting sections from modern to simple....maybe try a driving beat with something electronic or synth sounding. Write the song first. Then produce it. That's my vote.