How do you record your vocals?

Hi Everyone

I've been singing on and off for the last few years. Mostly in the bathroom or while doing chores. I've only recently plucked up the courage to post anything with me singing in it. I'm one of those people who doesn't like the sound their own voice.

Well, I was wondering what everybody's using to record their vocals,  

My chain consists of a couple of Chinese Knockoff Mics (One SM57 & Shure Deluxe 55), a few DIY built mics (A Ribbon Mic, Tin Can, and U87 Clone) and one genuine Unidyne B5155A.

I run them into a Behringer MIC2200 pre-amp to boost some highend frequencies and cut out the real low frequencies. Then into a Behringer MDX1400 Compressor. Which helps me keep a consistant level for my ever changing vocal volume. I got to admit I'm still getting to grips with them and over the manuals.  Finally the signal hitting my old Edirol UA-25 USB audio interface and into my music software (Mixcraft 10) . At this point I experiment with various FREE VST's such as E.Q.s, Valve Drives, De-essers, reverb and/or delay.  

I still use my phone for a recording ideas. It's a nice aid to memory.

Comments

• pete692
    pete692 Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Nuemann TL102 into UAD Apollo Twin through Waves CLA Vocals or LA76 Compressor Plugin + Waves H Delay or Waves Room Reverb

Using Reaper
  • Thought I'd join in. I'm repeating what I said on the original songs review page:

I use a Rode NT1 condenser - one of the older white ones. Best mic I've owned - brilliant without breaking the bank. That is fed through an Art TubeMP mic preamp and into my Mackie Onyx Blackbird Firewire audio interface. My DAW is Cubase 12 and I use the Waves CLA Vocal plugin on pretty much all my vox. I'll sometimes use one of the vst de-essers that come with Cubase. My setup is built around a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1.. It's quite a powerful system but most of it was bought 2nd hand and so not too expensive.

Getting rid of unwanted sibilance on my vocals has always been a problem for me - I tend to over-emphasise my s and t's in particular. I'm still trying to find a practical way of fixing that without going through the individual vocal tracks and editing it out manually...that method works but takes forever. Using a de-sser takes me half the way there. Someone suggested that I change the way I sing, but that's hard when you're trying to sing with a bit of soul.

• pete692
    pete692 Las Vegas, NV, USA

Hey Chris, I used to have a huge issue with sibilance, but the Nuemann TLM 102 has a built in shield of some sort that got rid of all that. I can get right into the mic, practically eating it and nothing untoward comes through. BTW, the Waves CLA program is my go to set up. It's so brilliant and easy to use

• Thanks for the reply Pete. Nuemann is a name to be reckoned with for sure. I haven't tried the mic you suggest as it's a bit outside my budget if I'm honest. I really like the Rode NT1, but if I decide to upgrade at some stage I'll certainly consider your suggestion.

• Very simple setup.

Studio Projects B1 large diaphragm condenser mic with a pop filter into audio interface. All FXs done in DAW.

• icystorm
    edited December 2023

My setup is an Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone used with a Dragonpad pop filter. My DAW is Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio. I plan to build a new computer in 2024 with a zero-latency soundcard and also switch to the Cubase 13 (or higher) DAW. As RDM mentioned, all effects are added in the DAW. To summarize what I posted on the songs forum, I simply zoom in to the vocals section with unwanted sibilance and correct the issue in the track, or record the section again.

• I'd suggest you have careful look at the reviews for Cubase 13 before you jump in. I decided to stay at 12 for now as the new interface hasn't gone down too well in some circles. Some nice new features I gather, but I'm holding back for the moment. I think they will probably improve it with the next fix, in which case you'd be fine. Right now the fonts look really harsh (bright white) from what I've seen.

• Billy_Lunch_Money
    Billy_Lunch_Money Leicester, England!

I'm using a Dell Vostro 3910 12th Gen i3 with 32gb Ram and its running MixCraft 10 Standard. I prefer ver 9 though, it doesn't look as bulky!  I've used a few different audio interfaces over the last few years. Strangly I've ended up settling on an old Edirol UA-25 with a firmware modification which makes Windows 10 detect it as a UA-25ex and automatically installs the correct drivers and an ASIO driver too which takes it down to 2.3 miliseconds of latency or so the DAW and driver software say; but I've started using the direct monitoring in the hope I might hit pitches more accurately!?

@icystorm I am curious to know why you've chosen to move away from Mixcraft?

• icystorm
    edited December 2023

@ChrisPrice That's great to know! Thanks for that advice! 😀 Hopefully when I have my new computer build ready next year, the issues you described with Cubase will be resolved.

Cheers,

Joseph

• icystorm
    edited December 2023

@Billy_Lunch_Money from my perspective, Cubase has far more functionality than Mixcraft. Mixcraft does have some very good features, but I feel limited by it. As I mentioned, I'm using Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio, but when looking through Cubase tutorials and example videos, it leaves me envious. 😀 I saw a Cubase example video years ago (2018, actually) that kindled my interest in Cubase as a DAW. I've linked to it below. The video explains yet another interesting way to experiment and work out more complex chords within your song once you have the melody established. My new computer build will have plenty of resources to easily handle Cubase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHRa63l6luE

• Billy_Lunch_Money

@icystorm I can see why now. It has alot of interesting features. But I guess I'm kind of stuck in my ways. I do like fumbling around on my guitar and working out chord structures, melodies, then lyrics. So I guess Mixcraft suits me well for what I need.

On a different note and sort back on topic. What sort of distances do you guys have between your mouth, to the pop filter and mics. I haven't found an optimal distance yet, it seems to vary.

• About a foot away. It varies a bit. I don't think it's a good idea to get too close, though it depends on the mic. I use a standard pop shield which does the trick...nothing expensive. I don't go with these 'vocal booth' contraptions which surround the mic..they aren't really booths at all and they and will, if anything, make the mic sound too boxed in and lacking in dynamics. Having a reasonable environment in which to record is best for me. Still work in progress though.

• Billy_Lunch_Money
    edited December 2023

@ChrisPrice Vocal Booth, I have considered using one, but It'd take up far too much room and have to be put away when not used. Now I've got my DIY condenser mic working I can see why you'd be a foot away from it. They seem to be super sensitive. I've got a foam mic muff and a pop filter on mine.  I'm still messing with my MIX2200 and MXD1400. I just don't seem to be able to get the levels and setting I'd like?

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited December 2023

I go there

http://www.studio132.com/about.html

I sing it 3 times

We pick and chose words and lines that work

I might sing a few lines over for right diction , or rewrite a line that dosen't make sense

He dials it all in with Auto -tune ( if needed )

The whole process is about 2 hours

I'm guessing he has about 50k in gear , maybe more

I have no goals on buying PRO _Tools or learning any on it

I get bored watching BZ my producer run all the gadgets to dial it all in

I have to refrain from jokes so he can concentrate

• I'd love to take a full band into a pro studio but I can't afford to finance something like that. We have in the past a few times but my current recording project is all done in my home studio. I sing, play or program everything myself. The programing side is mostly the drums. I can play real drums but not to a standard that I'd be happy with. Brass parts and occasional female voices (samples) are programed too.

My DAW is Cubase. A lot of pro studios over here use Pro Tools. I tried it way back but I couldn't get on with it. I've been using Cubase since 1998 and it does what I want it to do. The only other DAW I would consider is Reaper.

I've gone off topic I know. I try to record my vocals as 1st take as I can..and then maybe re-record the odd line here and there if I'm not happy. Same with backing vocals. I do multiple practice runs before I record the main vocal so as to get my confidence up. I like things to sound as live as possible so I don't spend too much time perfecting my vocals. Now and then I will use Melodyne to tidy up a phrase if I'm a bit off key. But I try to avoid that kinda stuff as much as I can. if it ain't right, I usually just sing it again.

• I am going to use a (real drummer) on a song coming up

Its a new producer in Nashville , But still sung here

a lot these guys go to college to master pro tools

I see nothing wrong besides being labor intensive on recording songs your self Chris

As long as it works using a pro studio or home recording its the same results

• I use a shure Beta and into the Audiobox. Very simple, but my recording are not up to a very high standard

• Billy_Lunch_Money