My World

Hey so this is my 1st post here. Let me introduce myself. I've been a professional composer for 35 + years, but I have only dabbled in song writing. Back in the day I scored many series and shows on the History Channel, Biography Channel, Weather channel and Bill Kurtis's American Justice. I have pieces of music in over 90 TV series. Mostly about mobsters and bad guys, but I do have music in shows like "Dancing with the Stars".

In my heyday, when I had a project to score I liked to create themes, lots of times in song form and lots of times I put nonsense lyrics to help me create melodies. I have tons of these laying around on manuscript and my computer (I started before computers were viable in music.)

A crazy thing happened. A.I. came along and I now I am able to generate vocal performances and videos of my old sketches. Here is one of my 1st attempts. Shortened for video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLsmB3szhNU

Let me know what you think. I don't now if this is a good idea or not.

Comments

• Nice to see you here. This forum is a great place to be.

So..AI is here! IMO we should embrace it with care, just as we did with digital recording and virtual instruments. IMHO It doesn't matter how we get there if the song ends up being good listen. I'm an old rock musician. There's nothing I like more than a bunch of guys/gals churning it out with the guitars n drums onstage or in the studio. But if I can get the same vibe using current technology, I'm gonna do it.

I think this is a good idea. sounds great to me.😀

• Welcome to TSF!

It's getting wild what's possible with AI. And as someone with limited vocal abilities, I'm looking forward to being able to get an AI to do the vocals on my songs! Would you mind sharing what tools/sites you are using?

• Jimbo88
    Jimbo88 Chicago Illinois

Ok this is how I do it, there maybe easier ways.

I start by sketching or composing in Cakewalk by Bandlab, a free DAW (for now). That just takes the place of paper and pencil.

Next I export my sketch to a XLM file (because lyrics get messed up on midi exports out of Cakewalk). I import the XLM file into Sibelius (a notation program). In Sibelius I can arrange/harmonize back ground vocals. I like to see thing in notation. Then I export that into a midi file. That midi file gets imported into the AI vocal program called "Synthesizer V" by Dreamtronics

https://dreamtonics.com/synthesizerv/

There is a free version if anyone wants to get started.

I guess most people would just jump to that step without importing and exporting and just edit or compose in Synth V, but i find that hard because at some point, when the arrangement becomes larger, every edit is painfully slow as the computer has to regenerate the new vocal every edit. Maybe I do not have the settings correct. It is very easy for me to see the notation, export that into Synth V where I just need to tweak. Synthesizer V then can export wave files that i drop into my Music "DAW" for mixing. At this point it is no different than mixing like a real singer. You even have to fix mouth noises sometimes. Synth V is a pretty cool program, acts like most DAWs, gives you tons of control on your vocals and exports high quality wave files. There is a steep learning curve and not much documentation. It was developed in Japan/China and there is a language issue.

• Thanks much appreciated! I found that helpful, and I'm sure others will too :)

• Cool song. I think it could be a bit longer but that is easily done. I myself am in need of vocal assistance. Might be where AI helps those of us who are tone deaf.
  • Indeed, thanks for the info re- AI. I like to think that I can sing, but the potential to put together some good and varied backing vocals using this technology appeals to me in a big way. 😀

• Chris, you can sing, sir! No doubt there. I am ok if I sing along but cannot sing without hearing another voice.
  • Jimbo88
    Jimbo88 Chicago Illinois

• astonishing and that
    No comment love it