Oh no I'm not Yoko (new original)

Hi all,

As a Beatles cover busker who gets mistaken for Yoko Ono, I wrote this song explaining who I am. It is meant to be both fun and educational. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

HV

https://youtu.be/T7pc3CiAqeA

Lyrics:

Oh no no no no no no, Oh no I'm not Yoko

Oh no I'm not Yoko

Do you wonder why?

Oh do I'm not Yoko

I'm a butterfly

I'm K-American, can't you see, or too lost in your own history?

Korea is different from Japan and China

We're known for K-pop and dramas

But I'm not even Korean per se

What's that? What did you say?

Born in the USA, I was born in the USA

I was born in California

I was born in the USA

Brought up on mac and cheese, Brady Bunch, Shake and Bake, the YMCA if you please

What makes you think I'm different from any other American?

My eyes, my Asian face? Wait a minute, we're 60% of the human race!

I've got wings and an axe to grind

A guitar sits on my behind

I'm not a celebrity

I'm an international anomaly

Call me French, Native American, anything

All wrapped up with a string

Yes I love the Beatles

They teach me everything

How to sing, play, write and say

I'm peace and love the livelong day

Variety, creativity, innovation, revolution

Happy to be a part of this big celebration

But when I get thrown pennies for a seemingly Yoko connection

I have to say, wait a minute

Come on, get over yourself

Your outmoded thoughts should be put on the shelf

Just because I have this mug

Doesn't mean I should get hit by Yoko thugs

She didn't break up the Beatles anyway

Let's not cast stones cause it's a disgrace

So how could I be Yoko

When I'm a butterfly

How could I be Yoko

When I'm floating in the sky?

Oh no I'm not Yoko

Do you wonder why?

Oh do I'm not Yoko

I'm a butterfly

copyright 2023

Comments

• A self-portrait in song! I particularly the refrain:

So how could I be Yoko

When I'm a butterfly

How could I be Yoko

When I'm floating in the sky?

There's quite a few change ups in the song. You might be better ditching the drum track, and playing bongos or similar manually. That would allow you to vary the rhythm and timing to suit the current part. At the moment there are places where you seem to be at odds with the percussion, or waiting for it it sync up.

• I agree RDM. This is my first draft and I know it will develop into something else in time. Bongos sounds great!

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited July 2023

Cute little song original idea . My wife is asian

• Be proud of who you are Paulina. Yoko Ono is a wonderful woman so take any comparison with her as a huge compliment. There's nothing wrong with being influenced by The Beatles. I certainly am. I actually saw them once when I was about 10! But I'm also influenced by a lot of American bands...that's where rock n roll started. It doesn't matter what kind of face we each have so long as we have a good soul, and you most certainly have. I've gone off completely off topic!! This is a great track, indeed, fun and educational. I love it.😀

• Thank you, Chris for your kind comments. I wish most people would agree with your viewpoint re: Yoko. I've had a lot of weird experiences as a Beatles busker and so I decided to write about it to get it out of my system. I most certainly have to ignore the quizzical looks when I perform. It's all good - the Beatles, being Asian, rock and roll, and Songwriters Forum! You too are a good soul!

• Yes I do get a sense of fun from your lyrics, and I like the way you sang and presented it, true busker style . . . (except for that relentless drum machine) I hope you do develop this some more, puts some more instruments around it. It's both interesting and educational . . . and if Yoko hears it on the radio someday, she will surely get a kick out of it.

• Thank you Popitup, I will ditch the machine and opt for something more interesting. I appreciate your input and won't give up on it. :)

• MoraAmaroLaLoba
    MoraAmaroLaLoba Madrid (Spain)

A really cool way to portray your life!!! Nice to meet you!

• Hi butterfly i think you hit the gong in this forum .whit this strait forward
    Telling who you are song .great idea
    Welkom