The hum of the engine

Let the world explode

Listen to the rhythm

Of the winding road

Take a little trip

Let your mind unfold

Comments

• Yeah good being on the road song man

• I like the words a lot, especially "there ain't no heaven, but I know there's a hell."

The music seems lacking something to me somehow.

Not sure, but I feel this might be about suicide. Very dramatic and disturbing.

The music doesn't match the intensity of the words, in my opinion. It's like typical light pseudo-country. I would rather something more dark and haunting.

• it is a bit dark heaven and hell for just going on the road to lose the blues after a 2nd listen

• pete692
    pete692 Las Vegas, NV, USA

Ironically, this is one of my more upbeat songs. All my songs and all of my art deal with pain, loss, and trauma in one way or another. I lost my son in 2020 at the age of 14 after a 6 year battle with brain cancer, and I lost my mother last month. I do not write these songs and the words therein the way that I do because I want to, I do it because I need to. They are my coping mechanism. Luckily, I have access to some creativity and musicality as an outlet. Hopefully there are people out there in the same state as I am that these songs may speak to. I would agree, perhaps, that they are not for everybody, but then again, what is?

Seriously though, thank you all for taking the time to listen. I look forward to the day when I could actually come up with something a little sunnier and less cynical, but I will never force it.

• Songwriting can definitely be a form of therapy. Both the initial creativity, and the sharing of the completed song are helpful. Just getting that emotion out somewhere can act as a release valve.

Be aware that there are limits on what can be posted here on TSF though. This one is ok, but songs actively promoting suicide aren't suitable for TSF as per posted guidelines (https://www.thesongwritersforum.com/vanilla/discussion/8/posting-a-song)

I thought the music was stronger than the lyric in this one, but I, also, liked these lines:

there ain’t no heaven 

But I know there’s a hell

• MoraAmaroLaLoba
    MoraAmaroLaLoba Madrid (Spain)

Hola @pete692

I think it's a song that perfectly communicates that kind of fever!! Good story!

• pete692
    pete692 Las Vegas, NV, USA

I cannot stress enough that this song has zero to do with suicide. It is puzzling to me how one member can put his interpretation of suicide on a song that if anything is about the hope of adventure and rebellion against the tyranny of the old 9 to 5, and now in a way it is painted with that brush. It's an escapist fantasy with some flash guitar and a hook. Any subtext of anything darker is purely on the individual listener

• Yeah, songwriting can be a good coping mechanism. It helped me get over an illness a few years back. This is good American guitar music. The chorus has maybe too many words for me..takes a while to get the 'White Line Fever' hook. I love the guitar playing. I think this song would really work well in a live band.😀

• This one has good rhythm and a cool vibe to it, Pete. Good guitar work and vocals, and the mix sounds clear! I enjoyed listening! Nice work! 😀

• ElvisNash
    ElvisNash Calif
    edited April 2023

I did not get suicide out of the song , just being on the road song . 9 to fives are bit depressing

• I personally didn't 'get' suicide from this but I can see how one might interpret it that way. That's the joy of art, once you 'hand it over' to an audience, it's whatever they make of it. It becomes more.

That said, I found this to be a classic road song with a nice refrain/hook in white line fever. Well done.

CCB