The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank  
AuthorPost
cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
I Believe Because Of You
Verse/Chorus
Verse 1:
I was lost seeing fake as true
Surveyed the world to find the way
Tossed aside everything I knew
Searched my soul both night and day
Your love shined through and cleared my view
Now I believe because of You

Chorus:
I believe because of You
And recognize what You’ve been through
Your exiles, hardships and all Your trials
Your love, Your faith and all the while
Your eyes were focused on what’s true
And I believe because of You

Verse 2:
The path is clearly marked by You
No need for wandering off course
All the signs show the right way through
And points to You as the Source
As love breaks through, displays its hue
So I believe because of You

Chorus:
I believe because of You
And recognize what You’ve been through
Your exiles, hardships and all Your trials
Your love, Your faith and all the while
Your eyes were focused on what’s true
And I believe because of You

Bridge:
With new eyes I see everything I missed before
With a fresh mind, I know You opened all the doors
Your Glory, oh Lord, is what I’m asking for

Chorus:
I believe because of You
And recognize what You’ve been through
Your exiles, hardships and all Your trials
Your love, Your faith and all the while
Your eyes were focused on what’s true
And I believe because of You

© 2019 Charles M Anderson

Last edited on Mon Mar 16th, 2020 07:27 am by cmaja

bunnythesinger
Member


Joined: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019
Location: Central Midlands, South Carolina USA
Posts: 440
Favorite Artist: John Prine, Steve Goodman,Meatloaf, Hall&Oates, Bonnie Raitt, Amy Wineh
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Charles, I am not always a fan of contemporary/country gospel...but i find this song very compelling. Unless its needed musically, or unless there is a personal significance ( because lets face it..we are not just putting words together...they come from within us...and i often keep stuff thats personal, sometimes to a songs detriment) , I didnt find the bridge added a lot...its nice and it works...but the rest of the song really spoke to me.

Very nice work, Bunny

Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 1248
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I like the spiritual aspect here. Always a fan of deep-reaching lyrics.

Found a spelling issue.

Verse 2:
The path is clearly marked by You
No need for wondering off track

"wondering" should be wandering

I appreciate the theme here, but it seems to lack a hook.
Where's the BIG idea?

I think it is there, you just need to bring it out.

- Sketch

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Hi Sketch,
Thanks for the correction. The big idea is the epiphany experienced in the fifth line of verse 1. It’s based on an actual event and the resultant aftermath of that event. Many born-agains have experienced it.

Charles

Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 1248
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
cmaja wrote: Hi Sketch,
Thanks for the correction. The big idea is the epiphany experienced in the fifth line of verse 1. It’s based on an actual event and the resultant aftermath of that event. Many born-agains have experienced it.

Charles

Thanks.
On re-read I noticed the capital "Y" on You, used throughout.

You might appreciate this one. He Came to Faith
http://www.thesongwritersforum.com/forum/view_topic.php?id=14175&forum_id=14&jump_to=115218#p115218

- Sketch

PS  --- I'm planning to re-record this demo with the new lyrics that Andrea (and others) helped me with.

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
I read and listened to He Cane To Faith and I like it. The return of the prodigal son makes for a good song no matter how many times he returns. Nice guitar riff. Looking forward to the re-recording.

Charles

Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 1248
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
cmaja wrote: I read and listened to He Cane To Faith and I like it. The return of the prodigal son makes for a good song no matter how many times he returns. Nice guitar riff. Looking forward to the re-recording.

Charles

Thanks for the listen and comments, Charles.

- Sketch

Andrea
Moderator
 

Joined: Tue Nov 27th, 2018
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York USA
Posts: 2457
Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
This is beautiful. It is quite moving. I agree with Bunny though. The bridge doesn't have the same feeling to me, so it doesn't add in a positive way to the whole. Overall, so good.

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Thanks, Andrea for your wonderful review and comments. I’ll have to take a second look at the bridge.

Charles

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Andrea wrote:
This is beautiful. It is quite moving. I agree with Bunny though. The bridge doesn't have the same feeling to me, so it doesn't add in a positive way to the whole. Overall, so good.

Hey, Andrea... I’ve adding an alternative bridge, which I think fits better.

Charles

RainbowKeeper
Contributor


Joined: Fri Feb 14th, 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 685
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Hey there,

First I love the chorus! The flow feels great! The only thing that makes me frown is the fourth line: ...while < u see this as a kind of cliffhanger to the next line? Or am I just confused now?
Nother Little thing is the 3 lines in the second Vers:

No need for wandering off track
Everything signs the right way through
Without a monkey on my back << maybe it’s me, but this somehow doesn’t fit as good as the rest of your beautiful written lines. I‘d give it a look and some thoughts. 😉
I personally like the alter bridge better. It fits in without breaking the flow of the whole song. The other one has well...to many lined up words for me. I had the problem myself on my last piece. Do know that when you are writing it directly off of your soul it sounds good and makes sense but sometimes less is more.
Keep up the good „flow“!

RK

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Thanks, Rainbow Keeper for your review and suggestions. I needed to change verse 2 and did. I hope you like the new version. I also ditched the original bridge. Sincerely,

Charles

RainbowKeeper
Contributor


Joined: Fri Feb 14th, 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 685
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Hey,

I personally think it’s a lot better now. But to be clear you don’t have to change it because of me or us, if u have a line u love keep it. All we give are just opinions and ideas.

So keep up the good work!
Greetings
RK

Last edited on Mon Mar 16th, 2020 04:24 pm by RainbowKeeper

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
No, RB Keeper, I’ve been thinking about changing verse 2 for awhile. The monkey-thing kinda irritated me. You just solidified my concerns. Thanks,

Charles

RainbowKeeper
Contributor


Joined: Fri Feb 14th, 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 685
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Well what can I say besides yvw 🤔😅😂

MASempine
Member


Joined: Fri Jul 10th, 2020
Location: Bridgeport, Alabama USA
Posts: 238
Favorite Artist: Mac Davis, Ray Stevens,
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Okay. I a voided this one because the title didn’t make sense.
THEN I thought “Would you say to your soulmate ‘I love because of you’”. Well you just might. It’s like saying if you hadn’t come along I wouldn’t have loved at all. Pretty profound.

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Yea, MAS... Like Dionne Warwick sang in ‘Alfie’ —“something even non-believers can believe in.” Excellent theme song, lousy movie.

Charles

NathanJB
Member


Joined: Mon May 25th, 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 19
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Hi Charles!

I am sorry I haven’t been posting because of school. And, I’m glad to have a little more free time now

This is a great song and truly excellent theme.
The 5th line in the second verse, “As Love Breaks Through...”
Is very similar to that of the first and you did a great job sharing that message in both verses. It is also a very well liked line
By many worship leaders!

I also think that you did a great job rhyming the chorus
while you deliver such a wonderful message.

JAPOV
Member


Joined: Mon Jul 17th, 2017
Location: Alabama USA
Posts: 844
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Just trying to condense this a bit... Keep or sweep :)

I was lost without You
The truth was in my way
Vanity was all I knew
Served myself night day
Humility cleared my view
The day I found You

Chorus:
I believe in You
Sacrifice was due
Victory is yours
God's promise will endure
You're the light, the way, the truth
And I believe in You

Verse 2:
Now my path is clear
Faith keeps me on course
The Spirit ever near
Illuminates the Source
Saved only by your grace
I wait to see your face

Chorus:

Bridge:
You've healed my eyes, now I see
You paid the price and walk with me
Your Glory Lord, above all others
To serve your will, and serve my brother

Chorus:

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
NathanJB wrote:
Hi Charles!

I am sorry I haven’t been posting because of school. And, I’m glad to have a little more free time now

This is a great song and truly excellent theme.
The 5th line in the second verse, “As Love Breaks Through...”
Is very similar to that of the first and you did a great job sharing that message in both verses. It is also a very well liked line
By many worship leaders!

I also think that you did a great job rhyming the chorus
while you deliver such a wonderful message.


See response on next page. CMA

Last edited on Sun Oct 4th, 2020 06:50 am by cmaja

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Hi, Nathan... Yea, school studies take priority. Glade you like it. I went through the spiritual transformation when I was in college. After fighting a war I had to find the Truth. It was a difficult but fulfilling journey.

Charles

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
JAPOV wrote:
Just trying to condense this a bit... Keep or sweep :)

I was lost without You
The truth was in my way
Vanity was all I knew
Served myself night day
Humility cleared my view
The day I found You

Chorus:
I believe in You
Sacrifice was due
Victory is yours
God's promise will endure
You're the light, the way, the truth
And I believe in You

Verse 2:
Now my path is clear
Faith keeps me on course
The Spirit ever near
Illuminates the Source
Saved only by your grace
I wait to see your face

Chorus:

Bridge:
You've healed my eyes, now I see
You paid the price and walk with me
Your Glory Lord, above all others
To serve your will, and serve my brother

Chorus:


Thanks, JAPOV, for the suggested change. But you gotta a whole new lyric here. You need to post this as your own. Mine is a reflection of the actual experience and transformation I went through. But I truly appreciate the effort you made.

Charles

JAPOV
Member


Joined: Mon Jul 17th, 2017
Location: Alabama USA
Posts: 844
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I can't take credit for that lol... I just take inspiration where I can get it :)

I'm well aware that my style isn't very "conversational"... I guess you could call me a "sonic impressionist" :)

cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 1328
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Keith Urban, Gretchen Peters, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
JAPOV wrote:
I can't take credit for that lol... I just take inspiration where I can get it :)

I'm well aware that my style isn't very "conversational"... I guess you could call me a "sonic impressionist" :)


Sonic impressionist! Wow, I’m impressed! That’s a picture I can’t quite see in musical terms. I’d love to hear it though.

Charles


UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1934 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 32 queries executed.