Insufferable (Original Song)

https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120/insufferable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-3H9yr5EI&ab_channel=odomodometer

Hope you enjoy! Any feedback is welcome. Positive or negative.

Thanks!!

Insufferable

Early morning angel waiting 

Bed of curtains dirty floor

Living off regretful trusting 

Purifying the devil dust

Insufferable 

Careful doubtful hopeful calmness 

Apprehensive self-applause 

Revolution of empty confidence 

Above the sky below the sun 

Insufferable 

Insufferable 

Blinded by the glowing water

Deafened by the silent cross 

Crippled all the crawling captured 

The promise of the albatross 

Insufferable 

Insufferable 

Insufferable 

Early morning angel waiting 

Ⓒ 2023 Michael Odom

Comments

• Very deep words used here, and I love it.

For some reason, I am being pointed to the "Mamas and the Papas".

I am being transported to a live recording of this great music, with all audiences being hypnotized by the loveliness of the music and the words.

Simply beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Rene

• I like the lyric very much. A little abstract and open to interpretation.

The music doesn't seem to match the intensity of the words. Don't know if that is deliberate for contrast or just came out that way, but for me it doesn't resonate as strongly.

I feel like a simpler vocal treatment might be a better fit for this song, less layering and processing, and just allow the lyric to shine through more clearly.

Enjoyed my listen 😁

• For me this has a very retro vibe. It kinda reminds me of something though I can't put my finger on what. I'm not sure how to interpret the lyrics, but I really like this song. It's very memorable. Thumbs up from me.😀

• Thanks for the listen and feedback Owen.

I actually wanted this song to be more stripped down and raw. Just acoustic guitar and vocals.

One thing led to another... and it ended up getting the full treatment.

I like your idea about minimalizing the vocals. They are pretty heavy saturated and layered. That's kind of my style though. lol

I might go back and work on that though.

I always appreciate your honest feedback!

• Thanks Chris. It's always nice of you to stop by on my posts.

Glad you liked it buddy!

• Thank you so much for the positive feedback, Rene

I've always liked the Mama's and Papas. So that is a great compliment.

Who knows where the inspiration comes from sometimes?

I've consumed so much music over the years it's hard to pin-point exactly what guides it all.

Makes me think though.

Thanks again Rene

• I am struggling with the lyrics because they seem so meaningful, but I can quite grasp it. This line is awesome "The promise of the albatross "! I love the visuals and the energy of the music. It feels urgent like a pursuit. Super cool vibe.

As for the vocals. It sounds like your style, and I like it. I also like your voice without the extra layers. You have a great voice!

A thought provoking and enjoyable listen :)

• Hi . . . had a few listens, and I really like the song idea of it all, the feeling and the lyrics are all there, but that vocal recording, damn, no pronunciation is there, somehow you haven't captured those higher frequencies . . . and it's not a volume thing, it's the sibilance, pronunciation range, perhaps 2k to 8k, that is missing for me, makes a huge difference in the presentation. If I follow your vocals text as posted, it all makes sense, great stuff . . . but if I close my eyes, just not clear enough. Not sure how you recorded this, but that's the main thing I heard, from an otherwise great sounding song !

• Thanks for the listen and feedback Andrea. Glad you liked it.

As far as the lyrics go, I always try to have a theme and get as close as I can to it.

Lyrically, I wish I could be more profound and less abstract.

• Thanks for the feedback popitup.

Yeah, you're not the first to point that out about my singing. lol

Vocals are definitely not my strong point when it comes to songwriting. I do try my best though.

• Sorry for the bump, but I’ve re-recorded this song entirely.
    I was not happy with the sound. Hopefully you’ll give it another listen.
    Appreciate it!
  • I enjoyed the song. It has a nice late 60s vibe to it. Unique and interesting lyrics!

• Good morning................Love the ABBA sound here. The atmosphere created is very nice and soothing. I don't understand the lyric. The images are ominous, but the music is uplifting and soberingly sweet.

Good stuff!

-T

• I really like the whole vibe going on. It almost feels pulsating and alive. I like it!!

A quick thought on V1:

"Early morning angel waiting 

Living off regretful trusting 

Purified the devil dust" -- the tense here seems like it should match the rest of the verse 'purifying the devil ('s?) dust'?

• Happy to come back and listen again! 😄

• Hi ! Really liking your updated version a lot, you've got those vocals so much clearer this time around, helps me feel closer to the song idea. The lyrics really do say a lot, with so few words, left to the listener's interpretation . . . well done there !

• MoraAmaroLaLoba
    MoraAmaroLaLoba Madrid (Spain)

Hola @samiamiamsam

Me ha encantado escucharte!!!

I liked it a lot, really beautiful and catchy and lyrics are soooo gooooood!!!

The cadence in the delivery of voices is so engaging!!!! It has been a very pleasant listening. Love too the arrangement.

• Thank you Mora. You're awesome!

Thanks for the listen. Glad you enjoyed it

Appreciate the feedback. Love the ABBA comment!

Thanks for re-listening Andrea. I like your suggestion about changing purified to purifying. Makes more sense

Appreciate it Owen!

Awesome. So glad you mentioned that about the original. And I'm glad I went back and made the changes.

I'm much happier with the overall sound now. Thanks man!

• Great song Michael, laid back retro feeling, mellow music, lyrics leave room for interpretation, but that's good.

I liked it very much.

• OnlyGavin
    edited February 2023

I don't get the lyrics when taken together, but I love the images they paint line by line. I don't feel I necessarily have to be able to ascribe a coherent meaning to the song as a whole. It's a bit like the way we used to listen to an album track in the early 70s.

I like the music. It's a bit trance like, which fits the dreamy lyric. I think you could maybe up the volume of the vocals just a little.

Like Andrea, I was struck by the albatross reference. With the mention of the cross and crawling in the previous lines. is this a nod to Coleridge? I'm thinking of these lines in "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner:"

The very deep did rot: O Christ!

That ever this should be!

Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs

Upon the slimy sea.

Enjoyed this a lot!

• @StephPo - Thanks a lot for listening to my song and commenting. Glad you liked it!
  • @OnlyGavin - Appreciate it Gavin. Yes, I'm a fan of Coleridge.. especially Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!
  • Johnb68
    Johnb68 Reading PA

I enjoyed the listen. Lyrics do sound deep and meaningful, I like those kind of songs. I write many of those kind myself. Acoustic guitar sounds great. Love your use of 3/4 time sig. Also great vocal work.

😀John B

• I like this song very much. I like the mysteriousness, even though I can't tell what it is actually about. But I prefer songs that are hard to understand over the ones that are too easy to understand.

All the music is very good, and the singing. I have no criticisms at all of the music.

My only criticism of the lyrics is that most of the time they don't rhyme, and then suddenly "cross" and "albatross" rhyme. I definitely prefer songs that consistently rhyme.

I would like it to have at least a hint of what it's about, without giving up the mysterious poetic quality.

Overall, I would say this is the kind of song I like. Nothing commercial or cliched about it. Very good.

• Hi @samiamiamsam

You’ve created a real world inside this song - a real accomplishment. I love the simple folk chords which have a melody all of their own. They also give the song a great frame to hang on.
    This is a real calling card and I look forward to he’s more from you.
    CCB
  • @Songbird52, Thanks for the listen and the feedback.
    Yeah, I agree, not much rhyming in this one.
  • @CorkingCrackBand - Thanks a lot! Glad you liked it
  • The_Big_Gundown
    The_Big_Gundown The Dead End of the Street

Cool stuff. You got a sound. I like it!

• I liked this a lot. Something about it reminds me of Bob Dylan. The haunting rhythm? I like the mythical imagery even though I'm not sure what the lyrics mean. It's an aesthetic experience. Again, I wish the vocals were more pronounced, but overall, I like the experience. Cheers, HV