The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Does it really matter ?
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 01:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Red Rogers

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Does it really matter what quality of a recording that I use to promote my writing, knowing that I'm not really going to be a professional singer ? It seems that if I really need a high quality recording then I instead of spending allot of money on home recording equipment that I should just save the money and have a professional record me in a studio. Already I've spent more time and money on home stuff than it would cost to professionally record a group of tunes.

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 01:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
HankTheTank

Favorite Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Rainmakers, QotSA, Nilsson
Keep in mind that I'm no expert on this subject.

On this forum you'll hear everything from songs recorded onto an I-Phone to professional demos.  My understanding is that if you're trying to pitch your songs to music bigwigs then you'll need professional sounding demos with professional sounding performers.  If you just want to share your music we aren't picky around here. 

I record my stuff with a halfway decent microphone onto a program on my laptop called Ableton Live.  It isn't pro sound, but it's decent.  I get a big kick out of doing my own singing and playing even though I sound like Lil' Abner trying to sing Judas Priest sometimes. 

What do firefighters and policemen have in common?
They both want to be firefighters. :D

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 03:30 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
DBloodworth
Super Moderator

Favorite Artist: 
Red,

I agree with Hank - it's about what you're after.  Professional demos go a long way, because you take out the guess work for the folks you're pitching: they can already hear what the song could be instead of imagining what it might sound like if George Strait (or insert genre-specific artist here) sang it. 

An analogy might be - if you were going to sell a guitar, would you hold out for a photo that showed it in all it's glory, or shoot it with your phone? It may seem a little extreme of a comparison, but if you're pitching, you have to put your best foot forward.

I know the real question is should you spend a fortune at home or go to the studio, and again it matters only what level you're seeking.   If you're trying to pitch, and you can do a professional job at home then by all means do it yourself.  If not, it's best to get professional help.

But, if you enjoy the process, and get a thrill out of making your own demos then you shouldn't stop trying.  Save the pro demos for the ones that really have legs.  Like Hank said - folks here at TSF aren't too picky.  Tune 'er up and let 'er rip - we'll listen.

Last edited on Fri May 18th, 2012 03:31 am by DBloodworth

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 04:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Red Rogers

Favorite Artist: 
Thanks Hank. I to like sharing my songs and I love singing them though I've had to admit that I'll never make it as a performer capable of getting my songs across to the listening public. I'm not a song and dance man like Dylan.

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 04:44 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Red Rogers

Favorite Artist: 
Thanks. I see it the same way you all do. And sorry for the previous replies and the waste of space. Just delete was what I was trying to do. I'll study the RTFM files.

Last edited on Fri May 18th, 2012 04:53 am by Red Rogers

Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2012 03:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
northgate444

Favorite Artist: 
Hey Red,

Just wanted to add my two cents.  I know that a lot of producers and engineers make the choices they do because it helps the song's message speak louder.  Instrument choices, arrangement choices, even microphone choices are all made with one thing in mind: The song is king.  If a pro demo is going to amplify and help your song communicate, then its something that is good to consider.  Also, just to echo the earlier comment, it always helps to not leave anything to the imagination. 

Posted: Tue Jan 29th, 2013 11:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
GRiFF

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Once it used to be the case that a song recorded on a pair of spoons into a tape machine could in theory be good enough to communicate a great idea to a better facilitated, financially minted label or producer.
I think those times are over, music production is big, big business these days and I would say at least as important as a great song - although at a push that might depend on your genre.

If your serious and think you do have quality material you should aim to at least get pro 'demo' quality. I would not suggest sending out crappy badly performed renditions as A&R these days do not have the imagination to hear through recording or performance faults.

Someone like me can fix you up for surprisingly little outlay and take you a long way. Many producer also have access as I do to session singers, musicians etc again who might be willing charge a little less for self-financed projects.

Great results - for any budget
http://www.griffinpromixing.com

Current time is 02:06 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1899 seconds (26% database + 74% PHP). 25 queries executed.