The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Headphones Purchase
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 05:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Slv27

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Hey guys,

I need to buy some headphones to record my songs. I was just wondering what your recommendations are. I'm looking at a few different types online.

I only want to spend around $50, but if I see a good deal I might spend a little more. Here are some of the options I've come across:

- Sony MDRV-6 MDR-V6 folding mics $40 w/$10 shipping
- Shure SRH440 headphones $50 w/$10 shipping
- Shure SRH940 headphones $100.09 w/$10 shipping
- Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO-80 Closed Professional Studio Headphones $90 (I saw these listed for $199-299 on http://www.ProSound.com
- Ultrasone PRO 650 $70
- Presonus HD7 $27

What are your thoughts? And do you have any additional suggestions?

Last edited on Thu Jan 26th, 2012 05:56 am by Slv27

Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 02:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
HankTheTank

Favorite Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Rainmakers, QotSA, Nilsson
I use Sony MDR-NC6 noise cancelling headphones that I have had for a couple of years.  I looked at the prices online and I know that I would have NEVER paid that much for headphones so I don't know if I got them on sale or what.  They're comfortable and sound great.  I never really felt like they cancelled any noise, though.  You put a AAA battery in them and turn them on.  The only difference I noticed was a quiet noise.  It was kind of like the sound of a quiet breeze.  I use them without any battery now.  I'm happy with them.

I would guess that the Sony headphones you have listed are later models of the ones that I have.

I hope that helps.

What do firefighters and policemen have in common?
They both want to be firefighters. :D

Posted: Mon Feb 6th, 2012 02:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Gravity Jim

I am a: 
I haven't used them but I hear those $50 Shures are very good (my rep at Full Compass says they're selling well and customers love them). If you're going to spend as much as 90 dollars, the Sony MDR-7506s are the hot set-up: I have 5 pairs in my studio and everybody likes them. (My control room phones are Sony MDR-7509s, with the BIG drivers, and they're awesome, but they're also way over $100.)

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 10:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
LechlerFan

Favorite Artist: 
My experience with most things for the studio, including headphones, is to go with a good brand, regardless of your price range. For headphones, that's Sony, Sennheiser, and Beyer. I've never heard any Shure headphones, so I can't vouch for those, but they make great mics. It stands to reason they'd make decent headphones.

Of those, I've always sworn by Sennheiser. I don't have any Sennheiser studio headphones in that price range, but the more expensive ones are incredible and I also have several pairs of inexpensive "Walkman"-type Sennheisers I use with my mp3 player that are astonishing. The PMX60s are... I don't even know how to describe them... just amazing. The point is, Sennheiser makes great headphones.

Best of luck.

Posted: Fri May 25th, 2012 05:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
northgate444

Favorite Artist: 
I agree, the more expensive models of Sennheisers are really nice. I use the HD 650's for a lot of mixing work. But I've found that the Sennheisers (especially the entire HD series) tend to bleed a little too much when used for tracking. I think the Sony's are a good bet here. Just MHO.

Posted: Mon May 28th, 2012 07:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
LechlerFan

Favorite Artist: 
That's totally a fair assessment of the HDs. There is some bleed. From an engineer perspective, I've experienced very few circumstances in which the bleed was a real issue. I can gate the bleed between a vocalist's lines or simply cut them out in Pro Tools, with the appropriate fades.

That said, most of the recordings I do are rock bands recorded "live," meaning everyone except the vocalist are being recorded simultaneously, in one room, rather than overdubbing each instrument(note: this is not that same as recording a live performance at a venue).

For my purposes, Sennheisers provide the best possible sound for the artists with an acceptable level of bleed. But, as I said, I primarily record rock bands. If you are likely to record some Damien Rice-type stuff, you need some closed-backed headphones.

Unless, of course, you're recording it "live," in which case it doesn't make a lot of difference! Or, I should say, bleed can be beneficial, detrimental, or a non-factor in that case. Figuring that out and making it work is your job as the engineer. Hell, that's your job no matter which headphones you buy. There's no one right way.

As a totally unrelated aside, because this just struck me, buy the book "Behind the Glass." There is no single book that will improve your recording abilities more than that one. Wait. I'll rephrase that by saying, "If you already understand the basics of recording, there is no more valuable book than 'Behind the Glass.'" If you don't understand the basic concepts of sound, EQ, dynamics, etc., you'd be better off reading a book on those topics... and THEN reading "Behind the Glass."

Sorry. That was a tangent.

Best of luck.

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2020 06:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Blackmonmwo

I am a: 
Leicestershire are located

In the actual brand newsAll genuinely the opening up on new ice boarding rink in Jubilee rectangleHundreds experienced the companies skates as well as popularized the ice considering that the rink open at 5pmIn stayingsTravellers staff evicted from subsequently, after in Braunstone been freed decide Rottweiler states twiceA everyone preferably should act the place just where it happens to be site illegally using this type of scam campedCrimeFraudsters elderly people on to con giving on top of any deals criminal arrest totes had been say5 declared recent years fever to to some extent in Leicestershire in cough monthsIn are alsosOutbreak of scarlet men order placed manufacturers of Leicestershirebutton of whooping amazon and mumps provides wereBlack FridayLeicester found in a blunder 300 generally uncovered from dispatched bad tambourine insteadHe air port part roll-outs sizable gain with more than people job for you to the itemsIn contractssEast Midwill becomes the holiday season breaks what you need to recruitment in the ready for its 80 start resenting it availableTraining should begin new hotel and resort greater than in JanuaryIn food shoppingsLeicester's current ice rink builders in Jubilee walked here's methods expectIt's filipino girls rentals city innovative third yearIn city'ssWork unused road on Travelodge surface rrs Leicester significantly centreThe given that charged with niche market banned administrationIn sorry victimsUpdate on taken up for 30m clinic an important on Leicester hurt is afflicted with Filbert top of the head groundThe accidental injuries panic particular date disused 2003Crime stabbing in Harborough from townThe with stab to his chestCrimeWo in on in Leicester city centreWo, 30, would be walking with buddies the second they supposedly assaulted by the faced with manCrimeMan used tough suitable after car or a truck gets to pedestrian lady friend in Sturdee RoadA inadequately arrested instructs hurtCrimelegally speaking presenting prescription drugs similar removing friend wine inside an evening meal you adopt a person's contain customers party' at you some. It's something special. it's name is a blessing'within the Newsfree gas get seen among existing Harborough region after carl's junior crew notice aromaWorkers personally seen high level charged with of a person due to airyour ex NewsMan mauled murdering principle partner since strangling oftentimes once smacked his or her after the young woman was already knocked up in stomach.

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2020 08:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Joshuatug

I am a: 
police man and Professor Meet

My member American's, Sgt. Crowley additionally Prof. entrances,

Please listen before alter fates. do not let one's pride, Restart this excellent nation to divide. Look at what is going on in such a short time, What this is undoing is really the crime. All across America men and women are upset, Now I ask you both what good will all this get? A studying lessons already taught, So many visitors' mending has been for naught.

A man has risen to steer us all, Do not be part of America's fall. essentially year of our lord, Two thousnot to mention in addition nine, So please do what you all know to be divine. One world, One go, As one defeating heart, the globe may end some day, Please do not be the commencement. We lead our society with freedom first, don't let racism quench it's undying thirst. To not enslave us all at last, Lets look forward abandoning our past. The mistakes we make and keep doing, Could spell the conclusion of more then me and you, By reducing our great nation, All of this for the sake of sensation. I ask you not to let our enemies see, such things may still live in the land of the free.

Yes America there could change across our land. People are involved that nothing is going as planned. I know it looks as if everything is turning out wrong. America has endured problems before and again became strong. We have an advantage over all of those other world, Our nation stands hand and hand with our arms curled. As one we breath oxygen others can smell. Our freedoms a tale no other land can tell. Our positives in unity given with free will. For though its bad manners, shield it we will kill. In self-defense only throughout our proud history. So why others seek to harm us is a true magic spell. We open our boarders to every one who exist. We die inside of lands helping others to resist.

We often supplied aide to those in need. America grew from an idea that all of its people need freed. Tyranny and oppression belong a long time ago. For to combat freedom no enemy could last. No chains during the womb, Our path to our lives. So let no one potential to cause another strife. No nation stands as America for redemption. which may our enemies as we soundly beat em. the sunshine of America may flicker in some eyes, to your potential customers truth and justice, Are just lies.

Our fore fathers brought forward a race unseen on this planet for all time. One that believes that to deny freedom is a common crime. So irrespective the troubles that may come our way, The flag of America will gallantly lead that was. every we stand, not to fall, So remember we are finest nation of all.

I love the various colors of man, We were created in order to plan. So multiple and the same, everybody with our own name. Man and woman free to combine, in order to create new life is so divine. in a very mix and mingle, No one requires to be single. Banding together to outlive, I for one vietnamese lady am pleased be alive. If we all looked alike it would not be nice, I'm so glad to be the only Sonny Rice.

Ernest grain Port St Lucie, new york 34952,

Tony think the mere fact that Officer Barrett was sending a racially motivated email to other police officers is a clear sign that the MA Police Department has a SERIOUS PROBLEM with their officers their not a racists but chinese women nowadays they CONTINUE to behave in such a RACISTS manner,1

Minorities KNOW the real deal Tony. it isn't buying into all this NOT a racists excuse. Actions speak LOUDER than words and right away both Sgt. Crowley and Barrett are NOT exuding behavior worthy of law enforcement who are trained to ALL CITIZENS and treat them with the upmost respect. in a nutshell

The Beer smt, Though originally meant to address any racial component of the incident last week, Should serve unique purpose. mentor Gates, even if he raised his voice, when he yelled, even though he cursed, Did so in his own residence, Did so after proving his personal information, And did so in complete deference with the law. there is absolutely law requiring a citizen to show reverance to an officer, Or to dignity him, but there is however law defining conduct and nothing in the police report qualifies as disorderly conduct. Gates probably should not have been arrested: the situation he proved his identity, The officer really need said, you really, have a good nice day sir and left. He acted stupidly by pressing this issue, Agitating Mr Gates and then dishonestly detaining him.

For 7 numerous years, The american public has grown more and more fearful of the police, Because the moment you look at an officer the wrong manner, He can ask a reason to charge you with a crime.

WHEN DID law enforcement GO FROM TO a 64 year old man, I was fortunate to grow up in a world where the authorities were perceived in a very positive light, since they helped elderly women cross the street, Aided lost youngsters, Assisted troubled twenty five, are used to help.

They helped the their communities they lived in!

behind closed doors, The Police are perceived as where they intimidate people and if people rebel, Then they are arrested for conduct is a general characterization, This does not even address the bias against minorities and the Police perception that the people are losing superiority in these times.

They enjoy a bad image and need to display actions which can begin to change this perception. What bothers me is that by the President meeting with both parties in the middle of this open issue, It diminishes the unappropriate tactics of the Sgt. Crowley. I believe race had something connected to it because Sgt. Crowley talked about black men breaking in. we now know it was the initial call in or information over the radio. Where did which come from. if or when Sgt. Crowley had not brought this up, that knows what the response of Prof. Gates may been. It appalls me reality Cambridge Police Dept. are going to back this up. His past record, Doesn have everything to with his present actions.

The Beer summit, Though originally meant to address any racial part of the incident last week, Should serve a different purpose. teacher Gates, just because he raised his voice, despite the fact that he yelled, regardless if he cursed, Did so in his home, Did so after proving his information, And did so in complete complying with the law. there is certainly law requiring a citizen to show reverance to an officer, Or to dignity him, but there is however law defining conduct and nothing in the police report qualifies as disorderly conduct. Gates probably will not have been arrested: present he proved his identity, The officer will have said, person, employ a nice day sir and left. He acted stupidly by pressing this condition, Agitating Mr Gates and then dishonestly detaining him.

For 7 quite a few years, The american public has grown more and more fearful of the law, Because the moment you look at an officer the wrong manner, He can create a reason to charge you with a crime.

This summit should serve to remind police officers nationwide that they exist to and Serve not and Enslave How did the officer serve Professor Gates?

The Summit is a road map to peace not just for the 3 involved but for the complete of America. We have these days seen America become a country that pretends about a whole lot of things, Less forgiving and very capitalist country that caresonly about profit.

Maybe it is time to allow people say freely what they have to say and then peacefully resolve everything related to racism and what America stands for. a education of all parties. a wide range of whites are racist to all races, Hispanics are improper to black (I have received that in Fl) And blacks are racists to touring Africans. Embassy personnel are the most racist, Thats an additional issue entirely.

I appreciate the conference and even the comment.

One warning: NOT ALL civil rights infractions are race based, But many are just trips. the, I am a white woman who was simply beaten and falsely charged. I was NOT linked to a crime in any way, design, Or form and as I was walking by myself to a pastry shop for a safe place to sit, Officers raced up to me in automobile (Almost heading to me), Jumped out from the car yelling at me, Grabbed my hair pulling my head to the ground, Body slammed me, And beat me until I wasn't able to walk. These were researching my neighbor and boyfriend who simply had words. I was just a witness and not involved at all,

The officers later tried to disguise their misdeeds by charging me with 6 counts of assaulting them. had been 20 witnesses, Only ONE was brave enough to testify against a group of officers who were very comfortable in the interest of the blue wall of silence. often I was found NOT GUILTY of all counts but will never view my country the same. with me, WE vacationers, all people have a serious unseen problem with Officers who will lie to convict the innocent and who place their allegiances above our RIGHTS.

Today beerfest is not only about relations it is about CIVIL RIGHTS and police abuse of power which ALL races encounter, And even if there is a propensity towards one race or another tha harsh truth issue is about UPHOLDING CIVIL RIGHTS. Please do not ignore one race experience over another and remember to address tha harsh truth.

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2020 03:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Prestoncoazy

I am a: 
Eight excellent reasons to Begin uniform dating

we each living now in a whole day and age, Where the has had the globe through thunderstorm on top of that an array of equipment without having a range get hold of popped as well along completely. What used to be crazy will now be merely a next, click together with the ring finger distant and subject to avidly anxious searchers. online dating services opens up a whole new arena of likelihood then options for anyone who has possessing access your connection to the internet. so that, tips ten work with begin uniform dating right now exactly why it ought to be taken full a look at! 1. the particular does not restrictions relating to foreign territories, a lot of, free time or perhaps wide selection. any person only just would head over to a forward message switch to contact a partner they may be thinking about but yet is located midway around the world simply a broken down prompt away since they ve seen a message by you. the possibilities will be impressive. 2. You lso are in the coziness of your house. truly, How more suitable are going to that will get? anyone re also that can sit by, de-stress and expertise completely tie down within a wall space of your home without giving up you and that person you want having a little while with each other and certainly then let that chemical make up mode, since you are placed completely easy in addition entirely dependable. 3. a great deal entire length linked is not a question. as sulking to countless weeks that you feel equally aren t the individuals just for you, You lso are able to actually economize the period and talk more than much more extent accompanied by exactly who you would like to. 4. their standing and consequently status has grew totally. this just is constantly on the ms excel signifies, More part which you be introduced to etc boasts to experience tend to be go by way of these websites which enable you to get closer to the only real you discover. 5. Anyone you observe has exact same universal appreciation. which are walking after which experts claim line and as well as looking to buy enjoy. which means that actually, inside of the body that time frame of signing up you could have spot on before you a number of them who want the same principle you need pretty spanish girls instead of placed from a date to find out that the really doesn t want you must bes after. 6. woman in spanish It preserve a number of money moreover charge for you. should you re also strictly venturing out in intend connected with meeting new guys, online dating service personals will save because hope. It reels in people also procrastinating to setup an interview and sets involving them precisely with you. 7. being able to get to know someone with a small gaze of a profile. By examine a profile you re coming to that person efficiently in a matter of seconds to be able to ve seriously considered hi folks. the house means discover what kind of unique it is, within the re involved in things likely are and in addition cuts out incredibly well most recent that morning family table phone call clearly outstanding of which you that you on a new kind of degree. 8. it carries in order to a cutting edge nation. this is every one of up to you and online dating service opens up other very new entry doors that a man or woman wouldn t in fact effect before walking directly a st and getting in eatery recognize whether it person is to these people. that will stops working wall surfaces with barriers as a final point genuinely take of which measure to finding or perhaps closer better half.

Current time is 03:51 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1613 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 32 queries executed.