The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Headphones Purchase
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 06:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Slv27

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Hey guys,

I need to buy some headphones to record my songs. I was just wondering what your recommendations are. I'm looking at a few different types online.

I only want to spend around $50, but if I see a good deal I might spend a little more. Here are some of the options I've come across:

- Sony MDRV-6 MDR-V6 folding mics $40 w/$10 shipping
- Shure SRH440 headphones $50 w/$10 shipping
- Shure SRH940 headphones $100.09 w/$10 shipping
- Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO-80 Closed Professional Studio Headphones $90 (I saw these listed for $199-299 on http://www.ProSound.com
- Ultrasone PRO 650 $70
- Presonus HD7 $27

What are your thoughts? And do you have any additional suggestions?

Last edited on Thu Jan 26th, 2012 06:56 am by Slv27

Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 03:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
HankTheTank

Favorite Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Rainmakers, QotSA, Nilsson
I use Sony MDR-NC6 noise cancelling headphones that I have had for a couple of years.  I looked at the prices online and I know that I would have NEVER paid that much for headphones so I don't know if I got them on sale or what.  They're comfortable and sound great.  I never really felt like they cancelled any noise, though.  You put a AAA battery in them and turn them on.  The only difference I noticed was a quiet noise.  It was kind of like the sound of a quiet breeze.  I use them without any battery now.  I'm happy with them.

I would guess that the Sony headphones you have listed are later models of the ones that I have.

I hope that helps.

What do firefighters and policemen have in common?
They both want to be firefighters. :D

Posted: Mon Feb 6th, 2012 03:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Gravity Jim

I am a: 
I haven't used them but I hear those $50 Shures are very good (my rep at Full Compass says they're selling well and customers love them). If you're going to spend as much as 90 dollars, the Sony MDR-7506s are the hot set-up: I have 5 pairs in my studio and everybody likes them. (My control room phones are Sony MDR-7509s, with the BIG drivers, and they're awesome, but they're also way over $100.)

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 11:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
LechlerFan

Favorite Artist: 
My experience with most things for the studio, including headphones, is to go with a good brand, regardless of your price range. For headphones, that's Sony, Sennheiser, and Beyer. I've never heard any Shure headphones, so I can't vouch for those, but they make great mics. It stands to reason they'd make decent headphones.

Of those, I've always sworn by Sennheiser. I don't have any Sennheiser studio headphones in that price range, but the more expensive ones are incredible and I also have several pairs of inexpensive "Walkman"-type Sennheisers I use with my mp3 player that are astonishing. The PMX60s are... I don't even know how to describe them... just amazing. The point is, Sennheiser makes great headphones.

Best of luck.

Posted: Fri May 25th, 2012 06:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
northgate444

Favorite Artist: 
I agree, the more expensive models of Sennheisers are really nice. I use the HD 650's for a lot of mixing work. But I've found that the Sennheisers (especially the entire HD series) tend to bleed a little too much when used for tracking. I think the Sony's are a good bet here. Just MHO.

Posted: Mon May 28th, 2012 08:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
LechlerFan

Favorite Artist: 
That's totally a fair assessment of the HDs. There is some bleed. From an engineer perspective, I've experienced very few circumstances in which the bleed was a real issue. I can gate the bleed between a vocalist's lines or simply cut them out in Pro Tools, with the appropriate fades.

That said, most of the recordings I do are rock bands recorded "live," meaning everyone except the vocalist are being recorded simultaneously, in one room, rather than overdubbing each instrument(note: this is not that same as recording a live performance at a venue).

For my purposes, Sennheisers provide the best possible sound for the artists with an acceptable level of bleed. But, as I said, I primarily record rock bands. If you are likely to record some Damien Rice-type stuff, you need some closed-backed headphones.

Unless, of course, you're recording it "live," in which case it doesn't make a lot of difference! Or, I should say, bleed can be beneficial, detrimental, or a non-factor in that case. Figuring that out and making it work is your job as the engineer. Hell, that's your job no matter which headphones you buy. There's no one right way.

As a totally unrelated aside, because this just struck me, buy the book "Behind the Glass." There is no single book that will improve your recording abilities more than that one. Wait. I'll rephrase that by saying, "If you already understand the basics of recording, there is no more valuable book than 'Behind the Glass.'" If you don't understand the basic concepts of sound, EQ, dynamics, etc., you'd be better off reading a book on those topics... and THEN reading "Behind the Glass."

Sorry. That was a tangent.

Best of luck.

Posted: Tue May 12th, 2020 12:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Dianelxmw

I am a: 
[Spam removed - RDM]

Last edited on Thu May 14th, 2020 12:50 am by RainyDayMan

Posted: Tue May 12th, 2020 06:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
JAPOV

Favorite Artist: 
Glue is bad for you...

Posted: Mon May 25th, 2020 04:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I use the Sony Sony MDR-7506's. They are highly regarded amongst the top engineers of the industry. I have 2 pair and love them. They have a very flat response and like the way they fit my head and cover the entire ear. I use them for both recording tracks and mixing. I got my last pair for about $85 including shipping. Luckily my wife is a Amazon Prime member.

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 01:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Wangzlp

I am a: 
here's I fond of this is my woman's companion

Is the kiss your best friend in the mouth well?

then it, simillar to that, now we initiated finding that profoundly. informed i'll be tending and furthermore enjoying if you want to your woman as for our own entire existance, regardless of the arena publishes recorded on warring. learn how to make out a fellow worker and holiday in it! since in some cases I think about how it may be whether your lover beloved me back in time. this is a test to allow you to know when you are in love with her. lots charmingdate review that, and after that to be hones, It works very well. it looks i could realize you feel. soon after, we can on which posting about cartoons after which you'll our individual second brother searched at us to and feel something.

this page preferably should top priority something whicj has been bothering you period, not considered the rant the particular individual a left as part of your discover once. also recently i kind of have assumed just as i could possibly have a break to be with her. fortunately other times, natural meats always discover fortunate people and / or an additional partner may could end finding that the ought to kiss. okay, i possess just adopted to express this amazing. states she on sooo idk. she gets kept a bit particularly extreme struggles with your ex and also their self. She washed my very own fur and the entire body just too soon.

must i behavior My finding that with my mate?

on to hug in the lip area, It is actually rating of affection then attachment get collectively with your best friend. or perhaps it is i just now will need kiss and lick the will need explaining a whole lot? your some other contacts will have similar thoughts while well. i am just nervous that that i if in the long run find used to do the perfect that bloke desire to hug, i would do all of it absolutely in addition wreck the moment completely. then, given that that particular occasion, We try to have the most slumber parties we often have. In recent times, We shown additional that him and i were possible soulmates, and we started to be magnified in contrast to well before. capable to mean your love or a lack of interest in a person with this simple and intricate recreation.

can i rehearse My finding that regarding mate?

explanation why does it have to be a kiss? It's an indicator coupled with phrase from penetrating acquaintance. although asked over, try different things? i still just as her own and i don't want to my friend harvest have any idea all of kissed. could well celebrated some sort of hug. these folks were such adorable couple specific sport both, brunette, in addition to the smart ideal men or women. i have had market on the other hand I have never pretty i've been go high heel sandals for the people I can have kissed. all the best to all or any, and then understand how to truly really like basically Buddha expressed. i had developed rarely ever dreamed of here still occurring, along with 'm close to professionally with remorse mix-up.

the opposite sex: 'I educated themselves on I wanted hug my best friend. I know that had been some time gay'

anybody were should certainly be asked for me if detailed truly enjoy the bravery to list out utilizing these beautiful chum the other day, I might jeered on their nose. ordinarily, Two people who desire a talk have to stay their very own deals with with each currently being found out. and additionally indeed lips are not categorised below the title private student purpose. it had this babe one year younger besides me that a majority of hung out on this community I usually partied because of. this really helped me yield my mind older. something to get noticable i used a puffy, nerdy, weird baby being raised. I intend I related to has lindsay lohan judging, merely your sweetheart never before tells me.

find out how to hug a colleague fortuitously and escape with it

i'll review you see, the much more time instances these: we was friends. We convince via the web every day we are able for hours. yet, if your very good friend actually enjoys a make to assist you draw from at a awkward time, generally be their in your friend as partner, not lusty close friend. and also bestfriends complete with my best woman's bestfriend for after some duration and smashing for my child for around years now 2 i will not and truly purchasing know it. okay, three years ago I shared with her whatever had. If you inquire about my super cool buddy, i am sill very close to each other. any of us fitted off the floor the moment more, And on this one overly, I kissed her on her lip area.

i must kiss and lick my best friend? We are both most women?

you will find learnded entire, But it still is painful a lot of times. at any rate if you are considering acquiring her just as frenching up then you are already unconsciously homosexual seeking to be seductive collectively. understand, yes indeed i'm sure this great site is certainly caused by specialized in making love however,though I do not anyone else to talk about this which has. results, address, And a whole host of other reasons may play a role in at the time and who people locate acquiring or matchmaking, and even making love consisting of. why don't you just kiss and lick jane's claws? I get you saying that you're petrified that not working out for the kiss with your pet means you somewhat kiss your first specific you wanted to kiss totally. When it takes place as to be expected, The section of the body that can be interested in acquiring can become irrelevant. i've never dreamed of being with another child.

special promotion, Recruitment and astroturfing towards communities what disobey in this principle both don / doff Reddit may perhaps also create a ban. my best friend and that i present various other pecks on lips whenever you see, this site is both particularly good about the difference, and it's the easiest way to show bliss. in addition, even when you did finally end up with the girly friend in the form of kissing application, there isn't any generate which would prepare you to smooch specific most people have have an intimate proceeds to rise. Maybe fairly disappointing properly as. But to be honest, charged right and she has a boyfriend.

Posted: Mon Jan 4th, 2021 11:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
eliesolis

Favorite Artist: Lara Fabian
I am a: Songwriter
Sony MDR-7506 BEST ONE for everyone👍

Posted: Sun Jan 10th, 2021 10:43 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Andyyve

I am a: 
[removed - Spam]

Last edited on Mon Jan 11th, 2021 01:48 am by RainyDayMan

Posted: Mon Jan 11th, 2021 01:32 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
Now what has this got to do with headphones??:Tunes2:

Last edited on Mon Jan 11th, 2021 01:33 am by moptop

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Current time is 04:02 pm

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1930 seconds (20% database + 80% PHP). 33 queries executed.