The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Headphones Purchase
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 05:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Slv27

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Hey guys,

I need to buy some headphones to record my songs. I was just wondering what your recommendations are. I'm looking at a few different types online.

I only want to spend around $50, but if I see a good deal I might spend a little more. Here are some of the options I've come across:

- Sony MDRV-6 MDR-V6 folding mics $40 w/$10 shipping
- Shure SRH440 headphones $50 w/$10 shipping
- Shure SRH940 headphones $100.09 w/$10 shipping
- Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO-80 Closed Professional Studio Headphones $90 (I saw these listed for $199-299 on http://www.ProSound.com
- Ultrasone PRO 650 $70
- Presonus HD7 $27

What are your thoughts? And do you have any additional suggestions?

Last edited on Thu Jan 26th, 2012 05:56 am by Slv27

Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 02:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
HankTheTank

Favorite Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Rainmakers, QotSA, Nilsson
I use Sony MDR-NC6 noise cancelling headphones that I have had for a couple of years.  I looked at the prices online and I know that I would have NEVER paid that much for headphones so I don't know if I got them on sale or what.  They're comfortable and sound great.  I never really felt like they cancelled any noise, though.  You put a AAA battery in them and turn them on.  The only difference I noticed was a quiet noise.  It was kind of like the sound of a quiet breeze.  I use them without any battery now.  I'm happy with them.

I would guess that the Sony headphones you have listed are later models of the ones that I have.

I hope that helps.

What do firefighters and policemen have in common?
They both want to be firefighters. :D

Posted: Mon Feb 6th, 2012 02:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Gravity Jim

I am a: 
I haven't used them but I hear those $50 Shures are very good (my rep at Full Compass says they're selling well and customers love them). If you're going to spend as much as 90 dollars, the Sony MDR-7506s are the hot set-up: I have 5 pairs in my studio and everybody likes them. (My control room phones are Sony MDR-7509s, with the BIG drivers, and they're awesome, but they're also way over $100.)

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2012 10:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
LechlerFan

Favorite Artist: 
My experience with most things for the studio, including headphones, is to go with a good brand, regardless of your price range. For headphones, that's Sony, Sennheiser, and Beyer. I've never heard any Shure headphones, so I can't vouch for those, but they make great mics. It stands to reason they'd make decent headphones.

Of those, I've always sworn by Sennheiser. I don't have any Sennheiser studio headphones in that price range, but the more expensive ones are incredible and I also have several pairs of inexpensive "Walkman"-type Sennheisers I use with my mp3 player that are astonishing. The PMX60s are... I don't even know how to describe them... just amazing. The point is, Sennheiser makes great headphones.

Best of luck.

Posted: Fri May 25th, 2012 05:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
northgate444

Favorite Artist: 
I agree, the more expensive models of Sennheisers are really nice. I use the HD 650's for a lot of mixing work. But I've found that the Sennheisers (especially the entire HD series) tend to bleed a little too much when used for tracking. I think the Sony's are a good bet here. Just MHO.

Posted: Mon May 28th, 2012 07:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
LechlerFan

Favorite Artist: 
That's totally a fair assessment of the HDs. There is some bleed. From an engineer perspective, I've experienced very few circumstances in which the bleed was a real issue. I can gate the bleed between a vocalist's lines or simply cut them out in Pro Tools, with the appropriate fades.

That said, most of the recordings I do are rock bands recorded "live," meaning everyone except the vocalist are being recorded simultaneously, in one room, rather than overdubbing each instrument(note: this is not that same as recording a live performance at a venue).

For my purposes, Sennheisers provide the best possible sound for the artists with an acceptable level of bleed. But, as I said, I primarily record rock bands. If you are likely to record some Damien Rice-type stuff, you need some closed-backed headphones.

Unless, of course, you're recording it "live," in which case it doesn't make a lot of difference! Or, I should say, bleed can be beneficial, detrimental, or a non-factor in that case. Figuring that out and making it work is your job as the engineer. Hell, that's your job no matter which headphones you buy. There's no one right way.

As a totally unrelated aside, because this just struck me, buy the book "Behind the Glass." There is no single book that will improve your recording abilities more than that one. Wait. I'll rephrase that by saying, "If you already understand the basics of recording, there is no more valuable book than 'Behind the Glass.'" If you don't understand the basic concepts of sound, EQ, dynamics, etc., you'd be better off reading a book on those topics... and THEN reading "Behind the Glass."

Sorry. That was a tangent.

Best of luck.

Posted: Tue May 12th, 2020 11:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Dianelxmw

I am a: 
[Spam removed - RDM]

Last edited on Wed May 13th, 2020 11:50 pm by RainyDayMan

Posted: Tue May 12th, 2020 05:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
JAPOV

Favorite Artist: 
Glue is bad for you...

Posted: Mon May 25th, 2020 03:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I use the Sony Sony MDR-7506's. They are highly regarded amongst the top engineers of the industry. I have 2 pair and love them. They have a very flat response and like the way they fit my head and cover the entire ear. I use them for both recording tracks and mixing. I got my last pair for about $85 including shipping. Luckily my wife is a Amazon Prime member.

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Current time is 07:18 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1618 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 30 queries executed.