The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Auto Tune
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jun 5th, 2012 04:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Planobilly

Favorite Artist: Too many to list but I like my own stuff ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
I am not real happy with my vocal. Singing is not easy for me. I have all the stuff you are asking about...Auto Tune...Melodyne. I have Reaper, Sonar 8.5 Producer, Sonar X1 Producer and Pro Tools and all the stuff that goes with it.

All of these tool are useful and are used by home studio folks and pro's alike.

There is nothing that exist in electronics that will give you a beautiful voice. You got it or you don't. Using the "tools" can help to put the notes you sing on pitch and a lot of other things but it will not make you sound like a good singer. By a lot of work you can teach yourself to sing and get really good at it. Many very famous and well liked singers have really "bad" voices. There is much more to singing than timber or the tone of your voice.

The only thing wrong with instant gratification is that it is just not quit quick enough for most of us!!

Posted: Wed May 22nd, 2013 11:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
seriousfun

Favorite Artist: wow there are just so many of 'em
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
I am an autotune/pitch correction/melodne hater.

They add after effects and do not sound natural. Their place in recordings ATM should IMHO be as a very limited tool to give the opportunity to correct occasional pitch errors. I have three pitch correctors in my daw and have tried them all and hated them all. However, on the odd occasion where a note has transgressed and for some weird reason I cannot make the note any better by resinging it I will duplicate the note onto another parallel track and experiment with the pitch correctors one at a time. If one of them is able to make the pitch correction for me in a 100% natural way then I wil use it on that note alone. If there is unnatural sound caused by the correctors I will not use them.

I would rather sound a little off pitch but retain my natural sounding voice than be bang on pitch but have a synthetic or unnatural sound to my vocal track.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited on Wed May 22nd, 2013 11:25 pm by seriousfun

Posted: Thu May 23rd, 2013 11:36 am
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
HankTheTank

Favorite Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Rainmakers, QotSA, Nilsson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
My original opinion was that auto-tune is bad, but as I got to learning how music is made and recorded that opinion has softened quite a bit. Musicians and engineers use lots of effects to make music sound the way it does. I don't see a big difference between auto-tune and plugging a guitar into two or three pedals and messing with amp settings to get the sound you're after. It's just another tool to get the sound a musician is after.

I still don't like auto-tune, but that's probably because I don't much care for the type of music it's generally "overused" in.

What do firefighters and policemen have in common?
They both want to be firefighters. :D

Posted: Fri May 24th, 2013 04:24 am
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
hardtwistmusic

Favorite Artist: Far too many to list
I am a: Songwriter
Incredibly interesting thing about "songs in your head."

If I haven't heard a song for twenty years, I still have that song "in my head."

But an incredibly interesting thing happens when I listen to it after twenty years without hearing it. (or less time).

The "song in my head" NEVER matches up with the real version. And, (of course, since I've been hearing it repeatedly in my head for so long) the song that's real never quite sounds as good as the "song in my head."

So, it's not just the songs we WRITE that are "in our heads" and "don't come out the same."

What's most fascinating is how disappointed I always am at the song being different than (and to my "mind's ear" inferior to) what I "remembered" it sounding like.

http://www.myspace.com/hardtwistsongs/

Current time is 08:56 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1558 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.