The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

basic recording
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 7th, 2010 12:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
OcramOchs

Favorite Artist: john prine, joe purdy, pink floyd, gogol bordello and many ...
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Hello fellow music lovers.

I was wondering if there are any tips/hints for me, I do use an USB microphone and Aktiv MP3 recorder to record my songs.

Is there a better way or software (preferably free) that I could use.

Also I have a little noise in my recordings, hissing sound, how can I delete or prevent this?

I specialy bought an USB mic for this, and it is aleady much better then the jack plus version I've had before, but still !

Thanks in advance :Thumbs

Posted: Tue Dec 7th, 2010 01:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
just1L

Favorite Artist: Van Halen, ABBA, Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Cheap Trick
Mac or PC?

Posted: Tue Dec 7th, 2010 02:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
OcramOchs

just1L wrote:
Mac or PC?

PC sry indeed ( and onboard soundcard) I just found audicity wich gives me already a few nice options.

Posted: Tue Dec 7th, 2010 04:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
just1L

A lot of people use that with great success. Good luck.

Posted: Tue Dec 7th, 2010 06:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
OcramOchs

Thanks, I made a ( for me satisfying) recording with audicity, except that I was unable to limit the noise i have from the recording, ah well, its not ment to be produced for cd, so it probably will do for the TSF xmas open mic.

Thanks again !!!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 10th, 2010 01:56 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
PatrickReedy

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
For the hissing sound problem you can find a noise gate. I'm not familiar with PC recording. But from what I've heard you can find them online.
What a noise gate does is make things absolutely silent until you reach a certain Db level and the noise gate opens. Let's say for example the noise is about -15 Db's. You would set your gate to open at -14 or -13 Db' so when the music starts it will be loud enough to open the gate and you won't hear the hiss.

Posted: Fri Dec 10th, 2010 10:43 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
OcramOchs

Thanks Patrick, will look into it later, found a plugin for audicity, so tonite I go experiment with it.

Posted: Fri Dec 10th, 2010 03:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
just1L

Thank you also from me Patrick. I've been having the same problem and never knew what I needed to look for to fix it!

Posted: Sat Dec 11th, 2010 10:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Sunburst

Favorite Artist: 
Patrick's dead right that a noise gate is an effective way of getting rid of low level noise in a recording, but it is a gate - it's either open or shut - which means if the noise is mixed in with something that you want to keep in your recording, the noise gate won't help a great deal, mainly because the signal you want to keep is above the threshold at which the noise gate is set to cut in and silence everything.  Also, noise gates can be rather difficult to set up so that they're getting rid of the noise in the quiet passages but not cutting off the decay of some of the quieter bits of music.

One way I've found around this is to use noise reduction filters built into a lot of the software, including audacity.  Basically, these delightful little creatures analyse a sample of the noise you want to get rid of in terms of its frequency content, and then go through and attenuate that frequency content throughout the recorded material, not just when things have gone below a certain threshold like noise gates do.  I've just had a quick look at the audacity program and it has a noise reduction feature built into its effects menu.  With this you just select an area of the recording where you can only hear the noise you want to eliminate, and hit the learn button.  Once you've done that, the software now knows exactly what you want to get rid of, so you then select the whole of the recording and hit process.  The software then goes through the recording and just gets rid of the noise, nothing else.

This is just another technique you can put in your tool kit and then use whichever gives you the best result for the type of track and noise you happen to be dealing with.

Of course, if you want to get really sophisticated, then there is software out there that really gives you pretty much ultimate control over the noise.  One example is iZotope's Rx Advanced which I've seen used by professionals.  When you load a file into this little gem, it analyses the frequency content of the recording and displays it on a frequency spectrum graph.  You can then go to any particular component of the recording and change it in any number of ways.  I saw a guy manipulating the sound from a wedding video to get rid of the wind and aircraft noise.  Basically both were really obvious on the frequency spectrum graph and he just went and selected only that component of the sound and then reduced the gain by about 20dB - end result almost inaudible wind and aircraft noise.  Awesome stuff, but pretty expensive I guess.

Posted: Sun Dec 12th, 2010 02:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
OcramOchs

I tryed out that noise gate, but indeed it only gets rid of the frequences that are dominant ( alone on a track ), it's giving me bad end sounds, probbably I am to rookie for this technical issues lol.

Sunburst I will a look into that iZotope's RX program later, bit busy right now, I am happy that I could make a decent recording for the open christmas event.

Thanks all for sure, I loved the input, it keeps my brain overheating haha

Posted: Tue Oct 25th, 2011 02:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
freakingidol

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter
When on a budget, buying a good cheap preamp and a good cheap dynamic microphone is still the best way to go. Look at the DMP3 or VTB1 (you can change the tubes for better ones); and for the mics, Electro voice ND767A (neutral) or a Shure 58 or Beta58, or a Sennheiser 800 series.

Posted: Tue Mar 6th, 2012 11:23 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
zazumusic

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer
I use USB microphone too. It is really sool thing!

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 09:59 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Janke
Contributor

Favorite Artist: 
The audacity noise reduction feature has worked pretty well for me.  Like Sunburst wrote, you don't want to eliminate any frequencies that are a part of your actual performance.  You'll degrade your recording.  Here's something I tried with some success: if you are not able to make a clean recording, I suggest that when you are in record, once you stop singing/playing, let the recording run for a good 30 seconds or more before you hit stop.  Hold your breath, keep absolutely still, and that 30 plus seconds left at the end of your track should give you a decent sample to highlight for noise reduction.  Hope that helps.

Sunburst wrote: Patrick's dead right that a noise gate is an effective way of getting rid of low level noise in a recording, but it is a gate - it's either open or shut - which means if the noise is mixed in with something that you want to keep in your recording, the noise gate won't help a great deal, mainly because the signal you want to keep is above the threshold at which the noise gate is set to cut in and silence everything.  Also, noise gates can be rather difficult to set up so that they're getting rid of the noise in the quiet passages but not cutting off the decay of some of the quieter bits of music.

One way I've found around this is to use noise reduction filters built into a lot of the software, including audacity.  Basically, these delightful little creatures analyse a sample of the noise you want to get rid of in terms of its frequency content, and then go through and attenuate that frequency content throughout the recorded material, not just when things have gone below a certain threshold like noise gates do.  I've just had a quick look at the audacity program and it has a noise reduction feature built into its effects menu.  With this you just select an area of the recording where you can only hear the noise you want to eliminate, and hit the learn button.  Once you've done that, the software now knows exactly what you want to get rid of, so you then select the whole of the recording and hit process.  The software then goes through the recording and just gets rid of the noise, nothing else.

This is just another technique you can put in your tool kit and then use whichever gives you the best result for the type of track and noise you happen to be dealing with.

Of course, if you want to get really sophisticated, then there is software out there that really gives you pretty much ultimate control over the noise.  One example is iZotope's Rx Advanced which I've seen used by professionals.  When you load a file into this little gem, it analyses the frequency content of the recording and displays it on a frequency spectrum graph.  You can then go to any particular component of the recording and change it in any number of ways.  I saw a guy manipulating the sound from a wedding video to get rid of the wind and aircraft noise.  Basically both were really obvious on the frequency spectrum graph and he just went and selected only that component of the sound and then reduced the gain by about 20dB - end result almost inaudible wind and aircraft noise.  Awesome stuff, but pretty expensive I guess.

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 11:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
HankTheTank

Favorite Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Rainmakers, QotSA, Nilsson
I use a USB mic and record onto Ableton Live.  I have noticed a couple of things about the hiss.

1)  Most of the hiss on my recordings comes from noise that's always there, but I don't pay attention to it.  It's just background noise.  This sounds pretty obvious now, but it was quite the revelation for me.  The two biggest culprits in my man cave are the fan on my computer and the dehumidifier in the basement.  Shutting the basement door helps.  Positioning my body between the computer and the mic helps a ton even though having my back to the computer makes it awkward to work with.

2)  I have found that recording everything as loud as I can without clipping and turning it down while mixing makes the hiss less noticeable.

What do firefighters and policemen have in common?
They both want to be firefighters. :D

Current time is 01:39 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2159 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 29 queries executed.