The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Roustabout Woman
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 13th, 2010 04:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
alytrain

Favorite Artist: Fred Eaglesmith, Lucinda Williams, Tommy Womack, Freakwater
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
ROUSTABOUT WOMAN (C) 2010 Amber Train

Ripped from the Gospel of Thomas Logion #42:  Jesus said : "Be passers-by."

V1:
I’ve had the itch since I was a small child
I can’t be at ease unless I run wild

Ran away from home, I can’t count the times
At sixteen, for good, I left it behind

Lift:
And I enjoyed every second until I didn’t, cuz

Chorus:
Like its been said, I’m a roustabout woman
Soon as I get unpacked, I’m leaving again
There’s no shame in a roustabout woman
Now lay down beside me so we can part friends

V2:
I won’t be tattooed, it’s too permanent
life long friends don’t suit my temperament

Even Jesus to Thomas said be passersby
My way ain’t evil, you hear, its divine

Lift:
So remember I’m not forsaken just because

CHORUS
Like its been said, I’m a roustabout woman

V3:
My eyes’ wanton look you saw from the start
But you refused to grasp I’m feral at heart

You thought it was dear when I tried to explain
That you aren’t the first to think I’d be tamed

Lift:
Now come on, chin up, and just remember

CHORUS Like its been said, I’m a roustabout woman

Yeah, just lay down beside me so we can part as friends

Last edited on Tue Jul 13th, 2010 04:39 pm by alytrain

Posted: Tue Jul 13th, 2010 06:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
blukatnga

Favorite Artist: Percy Sledge, Steve Wariner,Cat Stevens,Lynard Skynyard,Nickelback
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
I had me a roustabout woman once. Did'nt last long. Oh well at least she told me up front what she was.

"Now lay down beside me, So we can part friends"....just great !!

Posted: Wed Jul 14th, 2010 12:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
terrypicker

Favorite Artist: Country/Folk/Gospel/Christian Artists
AT. you never cease to surprise me!  :)  No suggestions presently.

Posted: Wed Jul 14th, 2010 12:55 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
alytrain

Darrel, I believe every man needs to have had at least one roustabout woman in his life to give him a nice bittersweet heartache :)
Terry, so long as its a nice surprise, I'm happy with that!

Last edited on Sat Jul 17th, 2010 12:35 am by alytrain

Posted: Thu Jul 15th, 2010 12:59 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Mike Stacey

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter
This is a good song and alot of people can relate I like this write alot of filling. nice job

Posted: Thu Jul 15th, 2010 04:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Missouripicker

Favorite Artist: 
I like the way you write. A "roustabout woman" was often the label applied to women who worked in carnivals. They were always on-the-go, pretty active with the guys, and here-today-gone-tomorrow when it came to love. I think you've really put that feeling throughout the song. What really stands-out to me is the easy flow of the song. The short verses help this. You don't waste any words and you move right on into a killer chorus that sums-up who this lady truly is. I like the Jesus comment: reinforces that this gal makes no apoligies for her life......My only question at this point revolves around the Intro: "Ripped from the pages....". Sounds a little too dark or ominous for the way I take the rest of the song. "Ripped" can be violent or mean using force and I don't read this gal as either. She's aggressive, yet truthful. Not out to hurt. ....Anyway, I don't know that you need a Biblical intro for this song. For an "end of the world" song, definitly......Just my take on it. Real good writing. You use the language well and know how to take what might be considered archaic names and phrases and spin a yarn from them....Nice. I can certainly recognize talent that I don't have...Keep writing.

Last edited on Thu Jul 15th, 2010 04:44 am by Missouripicker

Posted: Thu Jul 15th, 2010 12:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
alytrain

Larry, I'm glad you like and get the song.  I first ran across the term roustabout in reference to oil rig workers, and I just love the sound of the word.  So its been filed away in my brain for sometime and it just seemed more fun (from my perspective) to write about a roustabout woman than man.   The "ripped from" opening of course does not stay with the lyrics.  It is just a signal that this is part of my gospel of thomas series of songs.  If I were ever fortunate enough to compile these into a cd, I'd probably include an insert quoting the relevant gospel passages that accompany each track.  Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

P.S.  I strongly disagree with your comment about talent you don't have.  Not true, I've learned quite a few things from you already.

Posted: Sat Jul 17th, 2010 03:15 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
SundownSam
Super Moderator

Favorite Artist: Danny, James, Dennis, Charles, Rob, Don, Art, John, Mike ...
Man! Your muse has been working overtime for you Amber! You have flat been cranking them out! It's been so long since I've written anything that I'm beginning to think mine has kicked the bucket! lol 

Looking good Amber, you've also come up with some great hooks! Roustabout and woman aren't two that I would have thought of teaming up but they turned out well together and you've done a very good job of using the hook in your lyric. There's lots of great lines in it too and I really like the chorus! You've also learned how to structure your songs well and how to 'say it' in as few words as possible. I sincerely have to give you two thumbs up for being the fastest learner I have ever met when it comes to songwriting! Very nice work lady! :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1021080

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 03:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
alytrain

Sundown, thank you for all of those confidence boosting words.  I've been feeling a little dejected recently as I've come to realize I'm still a long way from having my lyrics ever become songs.  I've wondered whether I should put the lyric writing on hold for a while so I can focus on learning guitar and the melody side of songwriting, but I like the writing too much to set it aside . . .

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 03:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
terrypicker

alytrain wrote: Sundown, thank you for all of those confidence boosting words.  I've been feeling a little dejected recently as I've come to realize I'm still a long way from having my lyrics ever become songs.  I've wondered whether I should put the lyric writing on hold for a while so I can focus on learning guitar and the melody side of songwriting, but I like the writing too much to set it aside . . .
AT., I understand that feeling quite well.  I've rasseled over the same thing at times.  What has worked for me in the past, is one or 2 routines.  Set an hour or two aside for your guitar practice each day, and spontaneously  jot down your song ideas, as they come. Work your song lyrics into your guitar practice.  The guitar methods will still be there to practice; where the song ideas won't be.  The lyric is the central focus of the song and it will keep your interest alive and your creative apptitudes growing.  :)

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 04:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
alytrain

Terry, thanks for that, its comforting to know my struggle is not unique.  I'm trying to remember to be patient, but I can tell you I'm not close to doing an hour or two of guitar practice per day, only about 30 to 45 minutes, so I think I should be diverting more of my effort there!

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 05:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
terrypicker

alytrain wrote: Terry, thanks for that, its comforting to know my struggle is not unique.  I'm trying to remember to be patient, but I can tell you I'm not close to doing an hour or two of guitar practice per day, only about 30 to 45 minutes, so I think I should be diverting more of my effort there!
Well they say that Practice makes Perfect.  I wouldn't know anything about that Perfect part; except for when it comes to eating my supper. :)   When I first started learning guitar I was about 15 or 16  yrs old.  It was an old flat top box my Mom had bought for Dad some 20 yrs before.  The neck was pulled away from the body and the strings were terribly far away from the neck. It had one tuning peg broken, so I could only tune 5 strings. Bar chords were an impossibility on that guitar, I later came to find out.  But I would sit on the edge of my bed in the evenings after school/homework/chores/supper and I would pluck those old Black Diamond strings with a big 3 cornered pick.  I would hum a melody and stop humming or hold a note in suspended Hum  :) while I changed chords and made a connecting run into the next chord.  It took a while to get the grasp of things but when things started improving, it progressed rapidly. One thing that helped me more, from that point on, was guitar song books and finding a partner to pick and strum and sing with.  Precious memories... My wonderful late brother in law and best friend and fellow music partner was a Master wood crafter.  He rebuilt that old Stella 6 string to a fine quality instrument, it became mine after my Brother in law and my dad both passed away.  Now my little Grand daughter "Sugie" is learning to play on that same guitar, 42 years later.  Yep, French harps, guitars, Mom and Dad singing old time Country Gospel, me picking and a singing back up.   Girl, what little time you spend learning guitar will be well worth it, for the lifetime of pleasure it will bring to you.  You're a Country songwriter, and getting better at it every day.  Take this into your heart and let it encourage you; then go and write a song about it, that's what songwriters do!  Don't forget to take some time to learn Amazing Grace and Precious Memories and sing them once in a while.  He is the Giver of Gifts and Talents, it's up to us to develop them.  ;)  You'll get there.

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 08:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
SundownSam
Super Moderator

alytrain wrote: Sundown, thank you for all of those confidence boosting words.  I've been feeling a little dejected recently as I've come to realize I'm still a long way from having my lyrics ever become songs.  I've wondered whether I should put the lyric writing on hold for a while so I can focus on learning guitar and the melody side of songwriting, but I like the writing too much to set it aside . . .
No! Never! Not if you don't have to, Amber, not even for a little while! I did it some 20 plus years ago because I felt I had too, but looking back on it I realize now I didn't have to lay it down completely the way I did for 20 years! It breaks my heart now when I think about all the time I squandered watching TV and doing other unimportant things, when I could have been using that time to work on my songs and maybe even learning how to play the guitar back then. We all start feeling a little dejected sometimes but if you give into it and let it take over then it may take a long time for you to get back into the groove again! So NEVER stop writing as long as you're 'feeling it' the way you have been feeling it since realizing you can do this songwriting stuff!  My advice to you is, write your fool head off for as long as you have the mo-jo going and there's a lyric left in you to write! You can do both of these things!!! You can keep on trying to learn how to play the guitar while you continue to write songs!!! I'm doing it and you're a whole lot smarter than I am so I know if I can do it, you can do it! But what you said right here >>>I like the writing too much to set it aside . . .is all the more reason for you not to put your writing on the back burner while trying to learn how to make your lyrics become songs! So multi-task woman!!!! :Taz:It's something most of us females have had to learn out of necessity anyway! I can tell you for a fact that I been steady working on my 'degree' in it for the past two years now! LOL 

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 11:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
alytrain

Terry, that is an amazing story about the guitar you learned to play on.  I think its a lost tradition that things loved and dear are passed on to, and embraced by the next generations.  Have you written a song about this guitar?  If not, you should, it almost read like a song alreayd as I was reading your post

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 11:06 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
alytrain

Wow Sundown, you are quite the inspiration.  Your thoughts are particularly meaningful as they come from a woman, and I think you might agree that we ladies are sometimes more susceptible to putting our passions on the back burner to tend to things more "important".   Let me just say though, although I understand your frustation at having set it aside for so long, I hope you give yourself much credit for how courageous it is to turn back to something after being away so long.  I think too many people think that if they haven't chosen and stayed on a path by the time they reach 30, then that path is forever closed to them.  Its a shame. So good on you!! :)

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 11:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
terrypicker

alytrain wrote: Terry, that is an amazing story about the guitar you learned to play on.  I think its a lost tradition that things loved and dear are passed on to, and embraced by the next generations.  Have you written a song about this guitar?  If not, you should, it almost read like a song alreayd as I was reading your post
Thanks AT.  No I haven't, but I did mention it in the song I wrote about my Dad.  That's as close as I've come to anything I mentioned earlier.  Larry pulled that song up a couple days back. It's called Daddy L.D. 
I only wrote that little story as an encouragement to you and whoever else might read it.  Maybe I will some day get around to it.  Write something about the hardships of things you're going through now, and put an encouraging message in as a morale lifter.  Only if you feel inspired to write something of that nature. 

Posted: Sun Jul 18th, 2010 11:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
terrypicker

alytrain wrote: Wow Sundown, you are quite the inspiration.  Your thoughts are particularly meaningful as they come from a woman, and I think you might agree that we ladies are sometimes more susceptible to putting our passions on the back burner to tend to things more "important".   Let me just say though, although I understand your frustation at having set it aside for so long, I hope you give yourself much credit for how courageous it is to turn back to something after being away so long.  I think too many people think that if they haven't chosen and stayed on a path by the time they reach 30, then that path is forever closed to them.  Its a shame. So good on you!! :)
I couldn't agree more! :)

Posted: Mon Jul 19th, 2010 12:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
SundownSam
Super Moderator

TSF-Mike once said, "I have a hard time accepting praise and kudos".  Sometimes I find I'm a little like that too. But I try to show my appreciation for kind words of praise and kudos offered to me by saying thanks and saying a few words in return because I truly am very appreciative of them. But sometimes when I read something you guys say to me I'm so touched by it until the only thing I can sincerely think of to say in return is simply thank you. So thank you, Amber... and you too, Rick. :)

Current time is 08:37 pm

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2187 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 33 queries executed.