The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

STRAIGHT UP LOVE SONG
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 11th, 2010 03:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
terrypicker

Favorite Artist: Country/Folk/Gospel/Christian Artists
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
alytrain wrote: Yes, I did get audacity and just got my microphone in the mail yesterday.  Now I just need some musical ability.  Watch out, I may take you up on your offer!
Hey I'll do what I can to help.  I have used Audacity a few times but I'm no whiz kid by any measure.  There are other members on this site who have used that program quite a lot.  Between the bunch of us I'm sure you'll get going on some music. :) The main hold back I have is time.  Things at work slowed down over the past 2 weeks but I expect it to come screaming back this week.  That's one reason why I don't have more of my stuff recorded.  I've spent more time on this site the last 2 weeks than I have for the last 2 years.  But I doubt that will last for very long. :)

Last edited on Sun Jul 11th, 2010 03:13 pm by terrypicker

Posted: Sun Jul 11th, 2010 04:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
alytrain

Favorite Artist: Fred Eaglesmith, Lucinda Williams, Tommy Womack, Freakwater
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
stupid work really can get in the way :(

Posted: Sun Jul 11th, 2010 05:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
blukatnga

Favorite Artist: Percy Sledge, Steve Wariner,Cat Stevens,Lynard Skynyard,Nickelback
Here's a thought Aly while your working out the kinks of Audacity and singin and what not.  Go the Craigs list or whatever and find an aspiring musician with the qualities you require to get you work interpreted quickly.  The qualities might start w/ the gender, genre and the right sound for you and most starving musicians would work with your song for $50.00 !  You could cruise the songwriting forums and listen to others music and let them know you need a melody.  You'll not hurt their feelings if you don't like their finished product..there's only 70 billion more out there !  Think about an artists' sound you'd like reflected in the tune (sing it to them on the phone if you have to) and most seasoned musicians will get the gist of what your wanting it to sound like.  Dont make an error in judgment thinking your stuff is too complicated or introspective.  Trust me there's a bazillion people out there thats already lived your life.  Your writing is so deserving of melodies that I dont think you'll have any problem finding someone to work with.  Good Luck and keep writing !

AlyTrainFan

Posted: Sun Jul 11th, 2010 07:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
alytrain

blukatnga,  thanks for the great suggestion.  I think I'll need to work up my nerve a little first, I'm really quite shy you know :)

Posted: Sun Jul 11th, 2010 07:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
Dusty Demos

Favorite Artist: Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies,Common Sense,Jeff Healey,Jim Croce
I am a: Songwriter
alytrain wrote: blukatnga,  thanks for the great suggestion.  I think I'll need to work up my nerve a little first, I'm really quite shy you know :)
You might  try one of these places to see what they have to offer.
A simple vox/guitar/piano demo shouldn't be more than $100-150
Add more-pay more $$$

http://www.newmexicomusic.org/directory/index.php?content=services&servicetype=1

http://www.songramp.com/homepage.php?userid=30013

Posted: Sun Jul 11th, 2010 10:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
26th Post
Gu Djin

Favorite Artist: I love Norah Jones and Mariza's voice and music is ...
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Pretty good one - I reckon, as well as others have said, this is pretty tight as a song lyric.  I'll have to hum it through a few times more but this will work quite well.

Just a suggestion but have you tried shortening the chorus. I'm not suggesting it'll be an improvement - just playing Devil's advocaat.(sic)

I can’t pen - a straight up love song
Want to write nice and it ends up all wrong
Chasing those demons that scramble my daydreams
They feast on the irkesome ire of my song.

Just trying to fit the word irksome into some verse:D:D

Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, various acoustic guitars and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - all played and treated with equal love and attention

Posted: Mon Jul 12th, 2010 02:01 am
  PMQuoteReply
27th Post
terrypicker

alytrain wrote: stupid work really can get in the way :(
Yep, tomorrow it's back to the old grind again, but I really do feel blessed to have a job.  My wife and I spent nearly our whole weekend moving and reassembling my little studio.  So the weekend was an accomplished one.  Here's a pic of our weekends' work.  Doesn't look like much but I have everything functional again.  Good luck on your song. 

Attachment: image001.jpg (Downloaded 15 times)

Posted: Mon Jul 12th, 2010 02:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
28th Post
alytrain

That is Amazing!!  I feel very humbled by such a scene when I'm just trying to learn some chords on my neighbor's guitar.  It looks like you are going to have tons of fun!Let me know if you would ever consider trying to put some music to any of my lyrics with that fancy set up . . .

Posted: Mon Jul 12th, 2010 02:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
29th Post
terrypicker

alytrain wrote: That is Amazing!!  I feel very humbled by such a scene when I'm just trying to learn some chords on my neighbor's guitar.  It looks like you are going to have tons of fun!Let me know if you would ever consider trying to put some music to any of my lyrics with that fancy set up . . .
Thanks AT.  I previously told you I was working on moving my studo this weekend, I just wanted you to see for yourself.  Hey music is music! We all must start with the fundamentals.  I have 7 Grandaughters and 2 Grandsons and they all love music.  I'm going to try and get them all together and make a kids Country music album.  At least 3 of my Grand daughters are writing songs already.  We bought them all guitars a few years ago and some of them are coming along fairly nicely.  What I'm saying, is if you have the desire and the willingness to learn an instrument you certainly can achieve that goal.  :)  See Ya later :Guitarman1::)  

Posted: Mon Jul 12th, 2010 11:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
30th Post
alytrain

Gu Djin wrote
Just a suggestion but have you tried shortening the chorus. I'm not suggesting it'll be an improvement - just playing Devil's advocaat.(sic)

I can’t pen - a straight up love song
Want to write nice and it ends up all wrong
Chasing those demons that scramble my daydreams
They feast on the irkesome ire of my song.

Just trying to fit the word irksome into some verse:D:D

Yes, I've had suggestions to both shorten and lengthen the verse!  The only thing I can figure is that the answer to the conundrum will expose itself when I put it to a tune (I hope).  But I do like the idea of getting irksome in there, some words just don't get enough press :)

Current time is 07:34 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1826 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 31 queries executed.