The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Gone Mellow
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 5th, 2010 01:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Keith Austin

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Hi Johnbee.

This is a really nice melody. It's the kind of song that is hard to pull off, and yet, you have the range and timbre in your voice to really do it justice.
It's a great song as it stands, however, if it were destined for radio play I would have done a few things differently.

Firstly. The length of the song might be too much for a radio edit. This is a tough one because slow songs take longer to get through than more up tempo ones and you possibly need all that time to lay the story out.

Secondly, in the later part of the song where you have introduced the drums and a little more orchestration, the song is so much easier on the ear. I would have possibly brought this feel into play earlier in the song, maybe second verse.(Maybe had only one verse before the first chorus?)

Lastly. I agree with Dennis about the panning of the voice. It is a nice effect, but could be more subtle. Possibly varying from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock rather than 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

All said & done, this is a great song!

Keith.

Posted: Sun Jun 6th, 2010 03:54 am
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Johnbee

Favorite Artist: Dan Fogelberg, Steely Dan, Alan Parsons, Steve Winwood , Joni ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Ah, A late one!  I almost forgot I posted this.

Thanks for your comments, Keith.  I wouldn't consider this song for radio play anyway.  I was thinking along the lines of Dan Fogelberg and two of his "album cuts".  One was the first track on his very first album "Home Free". The song is "To The Morning".  The other is the title track from his "Netherlands" album.  I wrote this song along those lines in structure.  "Radio Ready" doesn't mean all that much to me, but I appreciate your comments and kind words.

:D JB

Posted: Sun Jun 6th, 2010 07:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Keith Austin

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
That's cool too. Not every song needs to be for radio. Like I said, it's a cool song as it stands. I think what I like most about it is the performance. You have a really nice vocal style.
Keith.

Posted: Thu Mar 12th, 2020 08:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
louis.robins

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer
I was able to play like a professional within a week. Once I was clear of practicing the music, I was able to tap into the emotions in the work.:D:D:D:D I like to listen to this over a cup of coffee.

Last edited on Thu Mar 12th, 2020 08:06 pm by louis.robins

Current time is 09:36 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1634 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 27 queries executed.