The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

The best recording tip I can give you...period
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 21st, 2008 05:49 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Favorite Artist: Too many to list!
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes on everything under the sun.  When it comes to recording it's no different.  Many of you already use either hardware based recording consoles or computer based with software, but I want you to listen to what I am about to say. 

The first and formost thing you are looking to do with any of your equipment is to get something recorded.  Does it take 15 minutes for you to get setup before you can even get that track armed and ready to record?  Did you miss the moment because you are fiddling with so much stuff you become a technical zombie?  Do you wish sometimes you could just hit a record button on one of those old little handheld recorders and be done?  Stop beating your head against the wall and get this program.  I don't care what expensive level or cheap level you are on, just do it.

Pick it apart and tell me it won't work for you, tell me it isn't expansive enough, tell me it doesn't support all your whistles and bells and plug-ins, and I will tell you it's one reason you take 15 minutes now to get a single thing recorded.  Stop missing the moment from this point on.  Do what I did and buy Acoustica's MixCraft.  Some of you have even asked me how some of the stuff I do sounds so good.  I'm not going to lie, it's MixCraft.  Yes I have expensive outboard gear as well as all sorts of other toys but everytime I hit record it's on MixCraft.  Plain and simple.  I'll post screenshots for you from one of the songs I recorded and posted at TSF.

You songwriters who would like to get started recording your voice or an attempt at playing that piano or guitar, get MixCraft.  It's $65 and will be the best money you will spend.  So step up from the free recording software like Audacity and get this program now.  Plug a microphone into your soundcard and arm a channel and hit record....super simple, super easy, no-brainer.

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/index.htm

Posted: Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 03:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
SundownSam
Super Moderator

Favorite Artist: Danny, James, Dennis, Charles, Rob, Don, Art, John, Mike ...
I am a: Songwriter
Mike, I want this thing!!!  It sounds as though it would be perfect for someone like me who has never had any dealings at all with this kind of equipment!  I was sitting here thinking while I was reading, that something like this must surely cost a pretty penny!  It 'bout knocked my socks off when you said $65 !!! I fully intend to get one of these and thank you for the tip!!!  

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1021080

Posted: Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 04:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Remember, while this program allows you to create music using it's loop library or loops you create yourself, it in no way plays the music for you like Jeff's Band-In-A-Box.  MixCraft at it's heart is simply a "recording" program.  The big guys themselves use similar software to get the sound down, this is just a much cheaper and easier way to do it.

-Mike

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 02:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
SundownSam
Super Moderator

Oh!  I think I misunderstood, I thought this was like BIAB, but I see it isn't.  But, if I were to purchase BIAB would I still need something like this or does BIAB come equiped to do what this does.  Sorry if I'm asking some dumb questions, but as you can see I don't know a thing about this kind of stuff.  But, I've always felt the best way to learn about something is to ask those who have already used the product.   So, please bear with me if ask or say something that seems to be off the wall.  

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 02:59 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

SundownSam wrote: Oh!  I think I misunderstood, I thought this was like BIAB, but I see it isn't.  But, if I were to purchase BIAB would I still need something like this or does BIAB come equiped to do what this does.  Sorry if I'm asking some dumb questions, but as you can see I don't know a thing about this kind of stuff.  But, I've always felt the best way to learn about something is to ask those who have already used the product.   So, please bear with me if ask or say something that seems to be off the wall.  
No, MixCraft records only.  BIAB makes music but doesn't record.  Jeff uses nTrack Studio to record what BIAB creates.

To put it simply, if you can sing or play something, MixCraft will record it.  Put MixCraft on a laptop and plug in a USB microphone and record your church choir.  It won't "be" your church choir, it will only record them like a old casette recorder would.

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 03:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
SundownSam
Super Moderator

So, are you saying I could plug this into my keyboard and record what I play on it onto MixCraft?  If that happens to be the case then I still want one!

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 03:58 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

SundownSam wrote: So, are you saying I could plug this into my keyboard and record what I play on it onto MixCraft?  If that happens to be the case then I still want one!
Mixcraft is a software program, not a device so you don't plug it anywhere.  Consider it like a word processor program only for recording music.  The devices would need to plug into your computer so you could get the sound into the program.  Devices such as a microphone, guitar or whatever.

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 07:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Here are some MixCraft screenshots.

First up, just the main screen as you prepare to record.  Notice the clean layout with your tracks horizontal.  You can add or delete tracks by just clicking on them and selecting from the menu.  You can adjust the recording volume of each track by moving the litte slider.

The second shot shows me arming the track for recording by clicking on the button under the volume slider that says "ARM".

Track is armed and I have pushed the red record button at the bottom of the screen.  Notice how the track that is recording is turning red as it goes?

That's it, you're recording whatever you have plugged into your computer.

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 12:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
SundownSam
Super Moderator

I think I finally understand.  Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me, the visuals helped too.  When you've never done anything like this before it's hard to comprehend how it works until shown, at least, it is for me.  Thanks again, Mike.

Last edited on Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 12:20 pm by SundownSam

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 12:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

SundownSam wrote: I think I finally understand.  Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me, the visuals helped too.  When you've never done anything like this before it's hard to comprehend how it works until shown, at least, it is for me.  Thanks again, Mike.
I understand the songwriters need to want to create music if they don't play any instruments.  But just think, if most of you out there had this program to at least record your voice with you humming, somebody else that is musically inclined would have something to work with.  They now could hear what you were hearing when you wrote the lyrics and possibly create the music.  Heck, they could even send you a guitar or piano track and you could attempt to sing your own song.  You would just load that MP3 up into MixCraft on one of the channels, arm a new channel, and press record.  VOILA!!  It's what I and others do all the time.

Are you getting this Roy?

I'm beginning to sound like "Vince" from the "ShamWow" commercials.
  :thumbsup

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 05:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
SundownSam
Super Moderator

Now that's what I would like to be able to do, so this sounds as though it might still be something I would want to purchase.  But, I still have this overpowering urge to take it a step further and learn how to use the BIAB thing or something similar.  I already know that I'm not going to be happy until I at least try it.  If it proves to be too much for me I'll pass it on to my little 10 year granddaughter..she would probably have it down-pat in no time at all.  

Mike, even though I'm the one doing all of the chit-chat here, I feel certain there will others who will benefit from this information, so thanks again.

Last edited on Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 09:01 pm by SundownSam

Posted: Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 06:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

So just cut to the chase here and download their free 7 day evaluation.  It is not restricted and you can save your files.  If you want to buy it, you don't even need to reinstall as the demo allows you to enter in your purchased serial number to give you your licensed copy.  You also have access to download it again should something happen along the way.

So go get it.

Posted: Mon Nov 24th, 2008 04:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Dennis Railey

Favorite Artist: Jerry Jeff Walker, Wynn Varble
  Mike, thanks for the info.  I will get Mixcraft when I can afford it.  I've been using Audacity and Jetaudio, but mixcraft will obviously be way better.  I'll still use my recorder for doing remote, mutiple track recording. and for recording drumtracks.        

The mixcraft will be great to have a mic plugged in here to just pick up and record works in progress.

Question:  How are the onboard effects,  are they preset, or can you edit them.

Last edited on Mon Nov 24th, 2008 04:35 pm by Dennis Railey

http://www.jamwave.com/artist.aspx?AID=5567

Posted: Tue Nov 25th, 2008 02:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Dennis Railey wrote:   Mike, thanks for the info.  I will get Mixcraft when I can afford it.  I've been using Audacity and Jetaudio, but mixcraft will obviously be way better.  I'll still use my recorder for doing remote, mutiple track recording. and for recording drumtracks.        

The mixcraft will be great to have a mic plugged in here to just pick up and record works in progress.

Question:  How are the onboard effects,  are they preset, or can you edit them.

FYI, this is a multi-track recorder!  It works with several of the multi-port FireWire recording interfaces like PreSonus Firepod Studio...ah but that's another topic!! LOL!!

MixCraft uses VST Plug-ins and are completely editable.

Posted: Tue Nov 25th, 2008 07:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Dennis Railey

Mike,  sounds great! loan me five hunert and I'll gladly repay you on teeuesday.lol

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 12:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
James Ryce

Favorite Artist: Sara Bloodworth (Still)
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Mike ... a very good post indeed.  It is key to be able to capture the moment when something hits you so haveing something like this to get a quick recording is perfect.

I have my digital recorder in my basement always at the ready with a cheap old mic and old patch chord laying right under it for quick connection.  Usually only takes a minute to get it fired up.  But, if I didn't have that, I would go this way for sure.  I use Adobe Audition 2 for mixing and I have also just plugged the guitar and mic direct to the laptop a few times when an idea hit and I knew it was on its way out of my head at any minute.

Sam, BIAB looks good, but before you spend the $$$, go to the website and download some of the demo videos on how to use it ... They make it look easy, and for Jeff it sure would be (he has been using it for a long time I think) but depending on how involved you want to be with it ... it could be a big learning curve.  I think the latest full blown version is a fair $$$.  Jeff would be the best to ask about that program.  He has seemed to mastered the latest version based on his demos.

James.

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 01:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Dennis Railey

James,  Jeff gave a great, in depth tutorial on biab.  Its in the topic just above this one.

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 01:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
James Ryce

Favorite Artist: Sara Bloodworth (Still)
Dennis Railey wrote:   James,  Jeff gave a great, in depth tutorial on biab.  Its in the topic just above this one.

Ah, see this is me not paying attention to what is around me again.:)

Thanks Dennis.

Posted: Mon Dec 1st, 2008 04:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Here is a little Latin Mix ala Carlos Santana that I threw together in MixCraft.  I simply used the loops provided with the program.  It's not polished as I was simply dragging and dropping loops onto different tracks and adjusting.  I did not add bass guitar yet.  The picture below shows those loops on their respective tracks.   Super simple.  Enjoy and perhaps you'll give it shot sometime

Latin Mix

Posted: Thu Feb 4th, 2010 08:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
tommytunes

Favorite Artist: 
Darn, I was getting into the idea, but it don't seem to be for the Mac. I have been learning Logic Pro and was looking for a simpler front end so to speak. Logic takes a little fussing but does a good job. Maybe I'll have to get a hand held for that spur of the moment sort of stuff. Any suggestions on that equipment. I've been looking around the web, but I don't know who to believe. I would like to have 24 bit capability.

Current time is 07:02 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1968 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 30 queries executed.