The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

** Notice **
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 31st, 2008 07:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Favorite Artist: Too many to list!
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
We have reached the limits of our hosting plan for the forum.  Page loads will get increasingly slower.  Our option is to move to a more expensive virtual server plan which the forum or I can't afford at this time.

You all tell me what you want to do.  The new service will cost 4 times as much as the current one we are on.  Yearly it would be $360, paid in advance.

Thank you to those of you who have donated recently and in the past as it has helped keep the forum going.

I'm sorry that we can't have a bake sale....LOL!

Just give me some input.

Posted: Mon Mar 31st, 2008 10:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
Well there are various options like:
  • do nothing and live with it being slow
  • archive the older material (> 1 year?)
  • remove the larger files (music and images) and just have links
  • find an external sponsor
but I think we all donate what we can and do the upgrade. Mike you could give us a running total until we hit the $360.

Posted: Mon Mar 31st, 2008 11:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Roy Harris

Favorite Artist: Hank Williams
I am a: Songwriter
I think if we leave it like it is it will drive people away from the site as it is running entirely too slow.  I vote to:

a.  Remove the large files in the music data base and have people post a link to their songs.  This is what is done on every other forum on the net.  This is a luxury we probably cannot afford right now and it is not really a problem to just post a link to your songs.  There are plenty of places to put your songs to provide a link that is free of charge, ie., Soundclick and Jamwave, I know there are others but those two are readily accessible and easy to post your songs.

b.  Delete all posts from 2006 back.  Again, I seriously doubt if anybody goes back that far to look at old posts.  Maybe occasionally, but again a luxury we can do without.

If we don't do those two things, even by moving to a new server it will eventually come up again as the forum grows in members and size.

In any event, I will start the ball rolling right now and pledge 25.00 to get things going.  I am not trying to set the bar for anybody else, it is just what I can do right now.  I am sure any donation at all will be appreciated.  And, you don't have to post it on here if you don't want to.  I just thought this would give us an idea as to how we can proceed.

Mike, please post an address where we can send you a check.  It would be easier if you just put it on this thread.

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 12:23 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Roy Harris wrote: I think if we leave it like it is it will drive people away from the site as it is running entirely too slow.  I vote to:

a.  Remove the large files in the music data base and have people post a link to their songs.  This is what is done on every other forum on the net.  This is a luxury we probably cannot afford right now and it is not really a problem to just post a link to your songs.  There are plenty of places to put your songs to provide a link that is free of charge, ie., Soundclick and Jamwave, I know there are others but those two are readily accessible and easy to post your songs.

b.  Delete all posts from 2006 back.  Again, I seriously doubt if anybody goes back that far to look at old posts.  Maybe occasionally, but again a luxury we can do without.

If we don't do those two things, even by moving to a new server it will eventually come up again as the forum grows in members and size.

In any event, I will start the ball rolling right now and pledge 25.00 to get things going.  I am not trying to set the bar for anybody else, it is just what I can do right now.  I am sure any donation at all will be appreciated.  And, you don't have to post it on here if you don't want to.  I just thought this would give us an idea as to how we can proceed.

Mike, please post an address where we can send you a check.  It would be easier if you just put it on this thread.

Roy, the media files or MP3's are really no problem at all as they exist by themselves on the server and the Media Player is just a link to them....no different than linking to another site.   The problem we are having due to increased activity is the shared IP address and bandwidth we are on.  If it were just a simple website, then things would be fine, but it is thousands of page views.  We are competing for bandwidth with hundreds of other websites trying to get through to their databases all on the same IP at the same time.  A virtual server gives us our own IP and we would be the only ones on it....problem solved....except for the loot part.

Right now this forum has over 300Gb (Gigabytes) of storage space of which we have used only a paltry 200Mb (Megabytes) of, so storage is not a problem.  The Virtual Server gives us less storage but faster speeds and more bandwidth.  We could live with that.

Please check the next post....

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 12:27 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
DBloodworth
Super Moderator

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, what are your bandwidth limits, and how much do we average.  I know there's a good bit of traffic, but I'm just curious what we're talking about here.   Like I said before, I know of a couple of other avenues that I'd like to explore with some real numbers.    If it's not bandwidth you're talking about, please let me in on what ceiling we've hit.  I think some donations are in order, and I'll have mine on the way too, but it seems to me that we can attack this from a few different directions.   If the site has awstats or something similiar, I'd love to see them if I'm not being too overbearing.   I know you know what you're doing, I just want to help.

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 12:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

If anyone wants to donate, all they have to do is click the Donate button on the left column.  This will take you to my business PayPal account.  You do NOT need a PayPal account to use this feature.  You can use a credit card, debit card or pay by E-check which allows you to donate using your checking....very simple.

If you prefer to send something in by Snail-Mail, then the address is as follows:

Mike Frisbey
MGFMusic
4370 Angie Marie Way NE
Salem, OR  97305

Make checks payable directly to me so I can go to Las Vegas.....(I am of course kidding...:D...about going to Las Vegas)

Again thank you to all who have already donated.

Updated:
Forum Account Balance: $250

Last edited on Tue Apr 1st, 2008 05:43 pm by TSF-Mike

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 12:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

DBloodworth wrote: Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, what are your bandwidth limits, and how much do we average.  I know there's a good bit of traffic, but I'm just curious what we're talking about here.   Like I said before, I know of a couple of other avenues that I'd like to explore with some real numbers.    If it's not bandwidth you're talking about, please let me in on what ceiling we've hit.  I think some donations are in order, and I'll have mine on the way too, but it seems to me that we can attack this from a few different directions.   If the site has awstats or something similiar, I'd love to see them if I'm not being too overbearing.   I know you know what you're doing, I just want to help.

Danny we are approaching 100,000 page views per month and growing.  Account Bandwidth is 3000 Gb per month, Storage is 300Gb.  These are limits we could never achieve with the shared IP...so they could make them anything they want....but we would never reach them.  Current bandwidth usage is only 1.2GB, storage useage is just a little over 200Mb with mailboxes at 25Mb.

Unless they increase their mySQL boxes and distribute things a little more to get rid of a big bottleneck, there isn't much hope for the low paying accounts

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 02:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
WAGDADDY

Favorite Artist: America, Vince Gill,Toby Keith,Danny Bloodworth,Creed ,3 doors Down
I've already sent you this months rent.lol but I will send you about the same as I have been sending...35-45ea mth..Dave

http://www.myspace.com/wagdaddysr

Posted: Tue Apr 1st, 2008 07:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
candlelight2007

Favorite Artist: eric clapton, eagles, elton john, dire straits, paul mccartney...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
I agree with Danny. It might be a good idea to explore other options. In terms of cost reduction - is there an option to maybe moving to a different hosting provider?

Speaking of bake sale: is there a possibility to generate any revenue at all - is advertising an option? at 100,000 hits per month I think we might have a chance... a single banner for $20 a month could be enough to cover half of the rent...

how about corporate sponsorship? maybe affiliation fees from selling someone else's recording software or loops or other gadgets?...  I'm sure there are other ways too... we could start doing something like ongoing reviews on songwriting related stuff (software, tools, etc.) - that might make us more likely to attract corporate sponsors

just a thought...

http://www.soundclick.com/vladpogrebinskisolo
http://www.soundclick.com/pogrebinskibrothers
http://jamwave.com/VladPogrebinski

Posted: Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 01:06 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Brenda McBryde

Favorite Artist: 
Sponsors!!  Heck, you could have their logo on the site with a link to their website.  All kinds of businesses provide sponsorships.

http://www.jamwave.com/brendamcbryde

Current time is 03:23 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1805 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 28 queries executed.