The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

What software should I use?
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 24th, 2007 09:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
TheLyricist

Favorite Artist: Bon Jovi, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Krezip, Queen, Muse, Borsato, Blof
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
I have a Yamaha PSR-640, with great recording possibilities. I'm looking for some easy-to-use software to midi with the recordings. What do you guys recommend?

Posted: Wed Oct 24th, 2007 10:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Favorite Artist: Too many to list!
Are you looking to use software as a Controller for your keyboard or software to record on your computer using the MIDI input/output?

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2007 11:04 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
TheLyricist

Favorite Artist: Bon Jovi, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Krezip, Queen, Muse, Borsato, Blof
The second. (didn't know Controller software exists:P)

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2007 07:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
RedinFla

Favorite Artist: Warren Haines, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard
I am a: Songwriter
I too am interested in this thread, at this point I have my laptop, with audacity software. hehehe I think I need some upgrades. I would like to change the pitch, and maybe add some reverb on some audio files.

It's not half full or half empty, it's just a half a glass

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2007 08:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

TheLyricist wrote: The second. (didn't know Controller software exists:P)

You can use the free Audacity listed here in the forum and just use the MIDI as the input device.  As for recording software, there is so much out there that it is really tough to make a suggestion other than you said you want it easy. 

First. it is highly recommended that you do not use your sound card in the computer.  An audio interface will give you superb recording over your built-in sound card--even if you have a nice one.  My recommendations would be if you are looking at doing computer based recording to first purchase an interface for your computer.  These can be had anywhere from $100 to thousands.  If you are using a laptop, then you would probably want something portable like Tascam's US-122L or Tascam US-144 that connects to your USB ports.  You can read about these here: http://www.tascam.com/catalogue;40,15.html 

There are lots of these type of units from different manufacturers.  Several members here use the USB ones from Tascam.  There are also many Firewire units but they tend to be a bit more expensive.  The Firewire interfaces allow you to record multiple channels simultaneously.  Most USB is two channel which is OK if you are by yourself.  You just play back what you recorded and then do another track of whatever you want to add and just keep adding more until you got your recording done.  How many tracks you can record is usually dictated by the software that comes with the interface.  A lot of them come with Cubase LE recording software so you don't have to buy additional unless you want to.

There are some really neat things out there like the Yamaha MW unit. (soon to be discontinued and newer USB 2.0 units are out).  This one still only records two channels but allows you plug a whole band in to get a stereo track down....to catch the moment.  Then you can go back and do like above: http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesList/0,,CTID%25253D207900%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

Again, most of these come with recording software.  Units listed above can be purchased from $149US to $399US.

Hope this helps some.

Posted: Sat Oct 27th, 2007 01:47 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
TheLyricist

Thanks a lot Mike. Since I'm a poor student, I will start experimenting with Audacity first, and think of ways to gather money for an audio interface.

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 08:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Tekboy

Favorite Artist: James Taylor
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
I am having serious difficulties with the Tascam US 122L and the CUBase LE software. No matter what I do, I can't actually get anything into my computer. It just won'r recors what is coming in.

Anyone know where I can get help for this?

Posted: Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 10:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
TSF-Mike
TSF Founder

Tekboy wrote: I am having serious difficulties with the Tascam US 122L and the CUBase LE software. No matter what I do, I can't actually get anything into my computer. It just won'r recors what is coming in.

Anyone know where I can get help for this?

Look here: http://tascamforums.com/index.php?s=3b02193692250636800403a5c39cbc7c&showforum=31

Posted: Mon Mar 24th, 2008 10:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
The Cubase.net forum may be of some use to you also

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/

Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2018 08:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
RuwHeinc

Favorite Artist: andrzej.lesniowskiois@gmail.com
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
I would to present you the best resolve for yours website. Can i do it? / Ruwbednis

Current time is 04:08 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2483 seconds (40% database + 60% PHP). 29 queries executed.