The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Weekend Warriors
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 10th, 2021 01:56 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
derrickhand300
Member


Joined: Wed Nov 25th, 2020
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 258
Favorite Artist: Tyler Childers at the moment
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
This one has kept getting pushed to the back burner- as I work on others-
Looking for inspiration for a few lines?

Thanks!

Weekend Warriors

A single dad wasnt the plan
Just where I'm at in life
No more tension, no more worries
I sleep alone at night

Now Ive got my freedom
No more ball and chain
Seein' my kids on weekends,
Gonna play some games

Pick them up on Fridays
Buckle 'em in my truck
Go diggin' worms to bait a hook
See if we can have some luck

(Chorus)
Were Weekend Warriors

Ridin 4 wheelers
Skippin' rocks across a pond

Playin ball and swooshin 3's
Buildin' forts in a Cottonwood tree

Swingin' from a knotted rope
Splashin in a swimmin' hole

Pitchin tents at dark
When sleepin' bags unroll

We hear thunder in the distance
Stars streak across the sky

Coyotes over yonder
Wail a lonely cry

(Verse 2)

Sunday mornin' we rise n shine
Drive dirt roads back to town
Memories made on weekends
////1 more lines needed ////

Hugs and kissses goodbye
Holdin back my tears
Always reminding myself
These are my greatest years

(Chorus)
Were Weekend Warriors

Ridin 4 wheelers
Skippin rocks across a pond

Playin ball and swooshin 3's
Buildin' forts in a Cottonwood tree

Swingin'from a knotted rope
Splashin down in a swimmin hole

Pitchin tents at dark
When sleepin' bags unroll

We hear thunder in the distance
Stars streak across the sky

Coyotes over yonder
Wail a lonely cry

Last edited on Sun Jan 10th, 2021 01:43 pm by derrickhand300



____________________
When You're A Hammer- The Whole Word Is A Nail
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2021 09:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6885
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Online
Memories made on weekends
beat the city kind hands-down

It may be an Australian thing, but here "Weekend Warriors" is a nick-name for the Army Reserve. So when I hear it I don't think of kids and camping and being a dad. But it's probably different where you are.

The lifestyle you're painting is appealing. Rough and tumble outdoors with no worries and lots of time spent together.

I can't really pick the rhythm of this as is, but that will likely resolve when put to music.



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top


 Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2021 01:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
derrickhand300
Member


Joined: Wed Nov 25th, 2020
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 258
Favorite Artist: Tyler Childers at the moment
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote:
Memories made on weekends
beat the city kind hands-down

It may be an Australian thing, but here "Weekend Warriors" is a nick-name for the Army Reserve. So when I hear it I don't think of kids and camping and being a dad. But it's probably different where you are.

The lifestyle you're painting is appealing. Rough and tumble outdoors with no worries and lots of time spent together.

I can't really pick the rhythm of this as is, but that will likely resolve when put to music.


Thanks RainyDayMan- Weekend Warrior actually means the same thing here so when writing the song I actually Goggled it
What does it mean to be a weekend warrior?
: a person who participates in a usually physically strenuous activity only on weekends or part-time.
So I went with it a I thought it would be a memorable hook
I ALWAYS appreciate your comments and watch for new stuff here to comment on for others including yourself- just not much getting posted lately :( Sad because out of the FB groups ive joined and every other group= this forum is the best

Last edited on Sat Jan 16th, 2021 01:53 pm by derrickhand300



____________________
When You're A Hammer- The Whole Word Is A Nail
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2021 03:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Andrea
Moderator
 

Joined: Tue Nov 27th, 2018
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York USA
Posts: 2018
Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
I love the idea of taking the weekends to spend playing with the kids. The visuals are pretty good. I think some lines could be more descriptive.

What I'm not crazy about is the idea of the father being happy he doesn't have to do any of the hard stuff now that he's divorced. 'Single father' usually means he raises his kids alone, but he is not raising them here (he is happy to not have that burden).

IMO, I would keep the weekend fun, but changing out the divorce part. Some thoughts off the top of my head for V2 and 3:

Now Ive got my freedom>>-- Two days of freedom
No more ball and chain >>-- No more 9-5
Seein' my kids on weekends>>-- time with my kids on weekends
Gonna play some games >>-- makes me feel alive

Pick them up on Fridays >>-- Up before dawn breaks
Buckle 'em in my truck
Go diggin' worms to bait a hook
See if we can have some luck



____________________
Andrea
Back To Top


 Posted: Sat Jan 16th, 2021 09:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6885
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Online
derrickhand300 wrote:
Weekend Warrior actually means the same thing here so when writing the song I actually Goggled it
What does it mean to be a weekend warrior?
: a person who participates in a usually physically strenuous activity only on weekends or part-time.
So I went with it a I thought it would be a memorable hook


Ok, cool! You've considered it and made a deliberate choice. Weekend Warriors is definitely memorable!



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2021 12:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
derrickhand300
Member


Joined: Wed Nov 25th, 2020
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 258
Favorite Artist: Tyler Childers at the moment
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Andrea wrote:
I love the idea of taking the weekends to spend playing with the kids. The visuals are pretty good. I think some lines could be more descriptive.

What I'm not crazy about is the idea of the father being happy he doesn't have to do any of the hard stuff now that he's divorced. 'Single father' usually means he raises his kids alone, but he is not raising them here (he is happy to not have that burden).

IMO, I would keep the weekend fun, but changing out the divorce part. Some thoughts off the top of my head for V2 and 3:


Now Ive got my freedom>>-- Two days of freedom
No more ball and chain >>-- No more 9-5
Seein' my kids on weekends>>-- time with my kids on weekends
Gonna play some games >>-- makes me feel alive

Pick them up on Fridays >>-- Up before dawn breaks
Buckle 'em in my truck
Go diggin' worms to bait a hook
See if we can have some luck

THANK YOU! I think your suggestions would make the song more appealing to BOTH genders BUT this guy is upset about the way the marriage went- the way it ended and just seeing his kids on weekends- A little bitter- so I wanted to to show in the opening verse. Its weird i wrestled with that part about the "single dad" myself for awhile....finally after not being able to find a better term because "being single" I figure you can still be a father to (Same applies to the term "Single Mom") which in most instances she HAS the kids- Dads just stuck with child support-insurance-alimony and her house payment :)

Last edited on Sun Jan 17th, 2021 12:51 am by derrickhand300



____________________
When You're A Hammer- The Whole Word Is A Nail
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2021 12:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
derrickhand300
Member


Joined: Wed Nov 25th, 2020
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 258
Favorite Artist: Tyler Childers at the moment
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote:
derrickhand300 wrote:
Weekend Warrior actually means the same thing here so when writing the song I actually Goggled it
What does it mean to be a weekend warrior?
: a person who participates in a usually physically strenuous activity only on weekends or part-time.
So I went with it a I thought it would be a memorable hook


Ok, cool! You've considered it and made a deliberate choice. Weekend Warriors is definitely memorable!


Thank you! Yeah I struggled with several parts of this song over a few weeks- kept coming back to it- the parts yall point out were some of the issues



____________________
When You're A Hammer- The Whole Word Is A Nail
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2021 12:56 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
derrickhand300
Member


Joined: Wed Nov 25th, 2020
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 258
Favorite Artist: Tyler Childers at the moment
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
derrickhand300 wrote:
Andrea wrote:
I love the idea of taking the weekends to spend playing with the kids. The visuals are pretty good. I think some lines could be more descriptive.

What I'm not crazy about is the idea of the father being happy he doesn't have to do any of the hard stuff now that he's divorced. 'Single father' usually means he raises his kids alone, but he is not raising them here (he is happy to not have that burden).

IMO, I would keep the weekend fun, but changing out the divorce part. Some thoughts off the top of my head for V2 and 3:


Now Ive got my freedom>>-- Two days of freedom
No more ball and chain >>-- No more 9-5
Seein' my kids on weekends>>-- time with my kids on weekends
Gonna play some games >>-- makes me feel alive

Pick them up on Fridays >>-- Up before dawn breaks
Buckle 'em in my truck
Go diggin' worms to bait a hook
See if we can have some luck

THANK YOU! I think your suggestions would make the song more appealing to BOTH genders BUT this guy is upset about the way the marriage went- the way it ended and just seeing his kids on weekends- A little bitter- so I wanted to to show in the opening verse. Its weird i wrestled with that part about the "single dad" myself for awhile....finally after not being able to find a better term because "being single" I figure you can still be a father to (Same applies to the term "Single Mom") which in most instances she HAS the kids- Dads just stuck with child support-insurance-alimony and her house payment :)

The original Verse in the beginning was something Like

Being a single dad wasnt the plan
when I said "I do"
But then you woke one mornin without warnin
and just said "Im though"


So he WAS a little bitter- I tried to tame that down a bit with what i have now but didnt want to completely lose it



____________________
When You're A Hammer- The Whole Word Is A Nail
Back To Top


Current time is 11:25 pm

Top



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1823 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 34 queries executed.