The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Ironing out the kinks in lyrics and music
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2020 10:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
John_Sturgill

I am a: 
When I'm working a lyric, it starts out pretty quick and before I know it I have it completed. Wrong, that, as for me, is when the work begins. I'll have Lots of elimination of words not necessary, better rhymes, structure and on and on.

I'll spend close to a month, not full time of course, getting the right blend of sentence structure , syllables and consistency.

Then, the fun part, coming up with the cord progression to send out the lyrics so the music and lyrics are hopefully pleasing to the ear.

Then, as for me, I have to learn to play and sing the new song because I like to shoot video.

Moral of the story. Don't rush. Take your time and you will be amazed how some key changes can drive a lyric in a very positive direction.

Just some food for thought.

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 08:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Billy_Lunch_Money
Contributor

Favorite Artist: Hendrix,Nirvana,Ozric Tentacles,Messa,Alice in Chains,Windhand,Khruangbin
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Up until just recently I'd kind of worked backwards, I'd have the rhythm and/or melody for the verses and chorus first and loop them on the computer and just sit and write against them in the background until I had enough lyrics. During which a theme or story tends to bubble to the surface and if it's appropriate I'll use it.

Back in February I wrote some music to Cmaja's - lyrics "Be my Song." It was a lot easier than thought it would be! I've still got to finish recording that though and hope to do it the next few days, but if only if I could stop tinkering with this blooming overdrive/distortion/pre amp pedal I'm building.

Last edited on Wed Sep 9th, 2020 09:03 pm by Billy_Lunch_Money

https://soundcloud.com/elijah-falls

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 08:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
John_Sturgill

I am a: 
Cool, there is no hard rule. It's whatever floats your boat. Sounds like you enjoy yourself. Good for you. I'll check out some of your stuff in the morning.

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 11:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
I've also had to learn to slow down. For me it's when I'm stuck at a particular point. I have a strong urge to just write anything to complete the song, but I've learnt that waiting always gives me a better result.

Another thing I have found is that once it is written and I have played it umpteen times I discover that it has somehow evolved and I am no longer singing or playing exactly the way I did when it was written. I guess it becomes whatever is easiest to perform or remember.

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 11:11 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
John_Sturgill

I am a: 
Absolutely.

Posted: Sat Sep 19th, 2020 04:05 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
JAPOV

Favorite Artist: 
I guess I'm a "lyrics first" guy... I define a song as the perfect marriage of message, expression, melody, and rhythm. If I don't have something to sing about I can't write lol, and I'm obviously a blues/rock player because it's so forgiving! However, over the years, experience has taught me to write with rhythm in mind. That's why I really don't consider myself a singer. Some people can sing "Moby Dick" and make it sound melodic :)

Posted: Wed Sep 23rd, 2020 01:43 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor

Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
I write A-Z that’s it. I’m only a lyricist, at least in my mind, with zero formal training and that’s what I stick with. I believe too much knowledge can be a hindrance. Right or wrong, suck or not, that’s what I do. I write for me and who it’s meant for. If people relate, great. If they don’t, which I assume is the case, it’s why I have an 8-5. Dream or not I won’t sell out to do what everyone else wants.

Posted: Wed Sep 23rd, 2020 01:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
JAPOV

Favorite Artist: 
M.P. Dudash wrote:
I write A-Z that’s it. I’m only a lyricist, at least in my mind, with zero formal training and that’s what I stick with. I believe too much knowledge can be a hindrance. Right or wrong, suck or not, that’s what I do. I write for me and who it’s meant for. If people relate, great. If they don’t, which I assume is the case, it’s why I have an 8-5. Dream or not I won’t sell out to do what everyone else wants.

:Thumbs

Current time is 04:22 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1594 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 31 queries executed.