The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Damn It, Daisy
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2020 10:49 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Damn It, Daisy
Words & Music by Mark Rhodes
© 1994

[CH]
Damn it, Daisy, I'm always crazy
Just maybe today I got it under the gun
Whenever I'm feeling uninspired
I take a swan dive into the Lake of Fire
And bob up horny for the next stray thrill to come

[VS 1]
There she was as I crawled ashore
Cryin' over some guy named George
We headed out in her rusty Ford
Cussin' love and patchin' a leaky tire

Buried our ghosts in Tennessee
Set our sights on the Florida Keys
By Natchez the Ford was history
We hitched into Tampa with a gospel choir

[CH]
Damn it, Daisy, I'm always crazy
Just maybe today I got it under the gun
Whenever I'm feeling uninspired
I take a swan dive into the Lake of Fire
And bob up horny for the next stray thrill to come

[VS 2]
We picked ripe fruit and slept outside
Wondered who would miss us if we died
Hit Key West, Christmas Eve, high tide
Had a little pa-rum-pa-pum-pum and set a date

That's been four or five years ago
No, I don't see her no more
We kissed as sunset splashed the shore
I got so bored it all died, guess you'd call it fate

[CH]
Damn it, Daisy, I'm always crazy
Just maybe today I got it under the gun
Whenever I'm feeling uninspired
I take a swan dive into the Lake of Fire
And bob up horny for the next stray thrill to come

###



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top 


 Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2020 11:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Andrea
Moderator
 

Joined: Tue Nov 27th, 2018
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York USA
Posts: 1651
Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Yup, you have a way with lyrics. I am loving what I read. I need to go make dinner for my 4 men, but will leave you more feedback by tomorrow.



____________________
Andrea
Back To Top


 Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2020 11:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Andrea wrote:
Yup, you have a way with lyrics. I am loving what I read. I need to go make dinner for my 4 men, but will leave you more feedback by tomorrow.

Thank you, Andrea.
Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top 


 Posted: Tue Aug 18th, 2020 09:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Andrea
Moderator
 

Joined: Tue Nov 27th, 2018
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York USA
Posts: 1651
Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Hi Mark, I have read this a few times now, and like it every time. I really don't think it need any changes. It's a great story, and should match well with country music.

I'll give you a couple nit picks.

"And bob up horny for the next stray thrill to come" - I am not sure about using the word horny in a song. Maybe I am wrong. I was thinking maybe "hot"? Not as many syllables, but that may not matter. Hot fits in with Lake of Fire too.

"Had a little pa-rum-pa-pum-pum and set a date" - this is an awesome line. To keep the syllable closer, I would just drop little.

I hope to hear this one soon :)



____________________
Andrea
Back To Top


 Posted: Tue Aug 18th, 2020 10:11 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Andrea wrote:
Hi Mark, I have read this a few times now, and like it every time. I really don't think it need any changes. It's a great story, and should match well with country music.

I'll give you a couple nit picks.

"And bob up horny for the next stray thrill to come" - I am not sure about using the word horny in a song. Maybe I am wrong. I was thinking maybe "hot"? Not as many syllables, but that may not matter. Hot fits in with Lake of Fire too.

"Had a little pa-rum-pa-pum-pum and set a date" - this is an awesome line. To keep the syllable closer, I would just drop little.

I hope to hear this one soon :)


Thank you, Andrea!
I have wondered about "horny" too. I'll fish for synonyms.
I wrote and recorded a demo of this back in the '90s.
I'm hesitant to post that demo here, though, as it was done on a cassette 4-track---compared to the digital equipment we all take for granted now, it sounds, uh, rough. :)

When I re-do this, I'll see how the 'pa rum pa pum pum' line comes out. If 'little' has to go, it has to go!
Thanks again, Andrea!



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top 


 Posted: Tue Aug 18th, 2020 10:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Andrea
Moderator
 

Joined: Tue Nov 27th, 2018
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York USA
Posts: 1651
Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
I'll listen to rough - no worries from me. You may choose to rerecord to post in the forum. I can't wait to hear it :)



____________________
Andrea
Back To Top


 Posted: Tue Aug 18th, 2020 11:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
RainbowKeeper
Contributor


Joined: Fri Feb 14th, 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 453
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Ok....here is what I want to say...
I love reading your lyrics. Not just these but all you’ve posted so far.
It is so....american...so southern...and even if I don’t get all of it (sorry but I’m an outsider) I love how you play with the words. It seems so „light“ but very creative and interesting. To take and write it „light“ is something I do have to learn in my life, but I have this connection to the heavy, the dark and all of that. So to me it’s really a joy reading this and I hope that I can listen to some of your stuff soon! Keep up the good work and I hope you stay around. Sorry that I can’t give anymore feedback but I wanted to let you know the above.
Tgc
RK



____________________
Hey y’all !
Im new here and tryin to figure out how this forum works!
Interested in convos about good music and specially about songwriting, lyrics and ideas. All my stuff is protected! copyright by FabIan Peters

Back To Top 


 Posted: Wed Aug 19th, 2020 03:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6552
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Online
Well I'd like to hear the recording -even on a 4 track cassette. I want to hear how that chorus sounds!

The lyric is quirky, playful and entertaining.

I like the rhyming scheme you're using.

I don't have a problem with "horny". It may put some people off, but it seems to fit the spirit of the lyric.



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top


 Posted: Thu Aug 20th, 2020 03:36 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
RainbowKeeper wrote:
Ok....here is what I want to say...
I love reading your lyrics. Not just these but all you’ve posted so far.
It is so....american...so southern...and even if I don’t get all of it (sorry but I’m an outsider) I love how you play with the words. It seems so „light“ but very creative and interesting. To take and write it „light“ is something I do have to learn in my life, but I have this connection to the heavy, the dark and all of that. So to me it’s really a joy reading this and I hope that I can listen to some of your stuff soon! Keep up the good work and I hope you stay around. Sorry that I can’t give anymore feedback but I wanted to let you know the above.
Tgc
RK


Thank you so much!
I was a downcast teenager. (My God, thinking back, it seems I barely pulled through!) But at the same time, I had a sense of humor. Sometimes gallows humor but other times just plain silliness. (I loved Roger Miller's songs like "Mu Uncle Used To Love Me But She Died"). A lot of my songs have come from things that struck me as funny, such as (Language Alert), "If You're So Smart, Why'd You Marry That Bitch?" and ("I've Learned So Much From) Her Mistakes."

My wife says I often confuse her with the off-the-wall obervations I make.



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top 


 Posted: Thu Aug 20th, 2020 03:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote:
Well I'd like to hear the recording -even on a 4 track cassette. I want to hear how that chorus sounds!

The lyric is quirky, playful and entertaining.

I like the rhyming scheme you're using.

I don't have a problem with "horny". It may put some people off, but it seems to fit the spirit of the lyric.


Alrighty, then, I'll post it!
Today, after waiting since May, I should recieve a digital audio interface and be able to start recording demos with BIAB and Reaper. (I stopped recording in 2000 when I went to New Orleans and entered a seminary, thinking I would become a priest. I was there 5 years and only wrote 3 songs.) Since then I've worked a lot on guitar technique, jazz, and also sporadic songwriting, but I haven't recorded anything (other than with an iPhone). It's time to get back on that horse and see if I can hang on.



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top


 Posted: Thu Aug 20th, 2020 09:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
RainbowKeeper
Contributor


Joined: Fri Feb 14th, 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 453
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Yvw!
Indeed sometimes your lyrics are like.....oh I know where this is going....wait a minute! I didn’t expect THAT!
I do like it if ppl don’t only write the usual way about the usual stuff...that‘s why I often try to come up with themes for lyrics that are unusual, but I’m not able to write as light as a feather...like you do. Maybe age will be a good teacher, or a good therapist may help me, I don’t know, but since then I write what I have to write.
All in all it’s a joy reading you and I hope there is a lot more to come!
So hurry up and post! 😅😉😂
RK



____________________
Hey y’all !
Im new here and tryin to figure out how this forum works!
Interested in convos about good music and specially about songwriting, lyrics and ideas. All my stuff is protected! copyright by FabIan Peters

Back To Top 


 Posted: Thu Aug 20th, 2020 09:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6552
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Online
Great! Looking forward to hearing it once your new equipment arrives and you learn how to drive it!! ;)



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top


 Posted: Fri Aug 21st, 2020 02:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote:
Great! Looking forward to hearing it once your new equipment arrives and you learn how to drive it!! ;)

That learning how to drive it part could take a while. (My wife says I have NO concept of how long it actually takes to do anything. Everything seems like "five minutes" to me if I am enthused and "an eternity" if I am not.



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Aug 22nd, 2020 01:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6552
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Online
Well I hope this is one of the "enthused" occasions!
It does take a little while to learn anything new, but it's amazing the quality of sound you can get in a home recording setup these days! And pretty cheap too.



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top


 Posted: Thu Aug 27th, 2020 04:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote:
Well I hope this is one of the "enthused" occasions!
It does take a little while to learn anything new, but it's amazing the quality of sound you can get in a home recording setup these days! And pretty cheap too.


It is amazing. I like the Real Tracks (Real Band) in BIAB. I've become comfortable working with that. But using a mixer and and a DAW and recording guitar on a computer---that's a whole new ballgame for me. I'll get there, but it 's a stone wall at the outset.



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top 


 Posted: Thu Aug 27th, 2020 11:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6552
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Online
My suggestion is to break it into really small steps.
Don't even worry about recording a whole song to start.
Just get the mic working so you can see the level moving.
Stop and congratulate yourself!
Watch a youtube video on how to create 1 simple track and set it to record. Try that. Doesn't need to sound good yet, just get it to work at all!
Stop and congratulate yourself!
Plug your guitar in, etc, etc

Trying to learn everything at once is overwhelming.
Youtube tutorials are your friend!



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top


 Posted: Fri Aug 28th, 2020 03:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote:
My suggestion is to break it into really small steps.
Don't even worry about recording a whole song to start.
Just get the mic working so you can see the level moving.
Stop and congratulate yourself!
Watch a youtube video on how to create 1 simple track and set it to record. Try that. Doesn't need to sound good yet, just get it to work at all!
Stop and congratulate yourself!
Plug your guitar in, etc, etc

Trying to learn everything at once is overwhelming.
Youtube tutorials are your friend!


That's a great suggestion!
I have had to learn to slow down. At first I thought, "Wow, I'll finish a demo today, at leat all the guitar parts." Ha! I couldn't even hear anything in my headphones! Finally I could hear my guitar in Reaper, clean sound, but the latency! So that's my next project: dialing that back.
Recording anything for real will have to wait until I can actually hook up and turn on the equipment reliably. :?
But I'll get there.
A friend of mine who has been doing this a long time tells me that it takes a while to figure out how you need to set things up for yourself, but once you've done that, you can leave a lot of things hooked up (just not turned on) so that when you want to record, you can be ready in a hurry.



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top 


 Posted: Fri Aug 28th, 2020 04:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
John_Sturgill
Contributor


Joined: Fri Aug 21st, 2020
Location: El Paso, Texas USA
Posts: 353
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Great work Mark



____________________
Have a wonderful day,

John Sturgill
Back To Top


 Posted: Fri Aug 28th, 2020 11:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6552
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Online
Yep, your friend is right. Once you've got it figured you can save that as a template, then next time everything is just there and ready to go and you just focus on the song.



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Aug 29th, 2020 02:56 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
MarkRhodes
Member


Joined: Sun Aug 16th, 2020
Location: Greemacres, Florida USA
Posts: 55
Favorite Artist: Can't pick just one, sorry.
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote:
Yep, your friend is right. Once you've got it figured you can save that as a template, then next time everything is just there and ready to go and you just focus on the song.

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" :)

I'm not there yet but I'll get there. Bit by bit.



____________________
"If I knew where the good songs came from, I'd go there more often." Leonard Cohen
Back To Top


Current time is 09:38 pm

Top



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2600 seconds (29% database + 71% PHP). 34 queries executed.