The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

So what kind of interface and DAW is everybody using?
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 8th, 2020 12:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
41st Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Yeah, same with me. My Behringer board is an Ebay find that I repaired. My computer is a used one as is most of my music gear, mics, preamps and the like. When I was still gigging the PA speakers and lighting system we used I built from scratch. Being a repair tech by trade comes in handy sometimes but you are right, you have to know what to look for to get a good deal.

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Posted: Fri Oct 22nd, 2021 03:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
42nd Post
RobbinCrooks

Favorite Artist: 
I started with a dedicated music PC running Q-base but soon switched to a Mac running Protools. I began with Protools 5 and have every version through 11 but decided that 12 is a subscription and I don't need it. I've gone through a variety of interfaces but now run a firewire version of MOTU through my Presonus 16x4x2 mixer. The Presonus also has a macbook pro that captures .wav tracks. Mac OS always want to upgrade and the newer versions never work with Protools so I never allow the OS to update and I never allow my computers to go online for any reason.
I have a nice selection of mics for just about any application. My drum kit is early 70s maple Rogers with sweet match A-zildgen cymbals and internal mics with two pencil condensors overhead and two SM90s on snare. My keys are a pair of Kurzwiel keyboards and a Roland VK7 for drawbar organ. I have a concertina, 21 guitars, dobros, banjos, violins, cello, basses include a 5-string active electric, an acoustic electric and an acoustic electric Uke bass. I have a 72" monitor and remote controls in the live room, several outboard pre-amps, condensors, and a vocal processor, wireless in-ear monitors as well as headphones from a rack of headphone amplifiers, and a projection screen for lyrics/music/notes. The mix roo0m has Rocket monitors, Mackie monitors, and a Macintosh tube amp through Klipsch speakers as well as a set of Walmart home stereo speakers through a crappy amp that helps me reference while mixing. It's easy to sound good through high fidelity equipment but the finished mix should sound good through what ever crappy system you're playing it on.

Posted: Tue Oct 26th, 2021 08:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
43rd Post
ChrisPrice
Contributor

Favorite Artist: Too many to list here
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Home studio (in a shed!!).I've always used Cubase - all the way back to VST Score 3.5. Recently went up to Cubase Pro 11 but rolled back to 9.5 as I prefer the older interface and I don't need any of the newer features. When I first answered this I was using a Hackintosh. I've sinced changed to a Mac Pro 3,1. Old yes, but still a great machine. Running OS Sierra (courtesy dosdude1 patch)..again a roll back..I was running Catalina but I much prefer the older os. M Audio Fast Track 2in 2out interface. 2 x Samsung 24" curved screens. Behringer Truth Monitors. M Audio Oxygen 25 note keyboard. 2x Rode NT1A condensers. No outboard gear. Guitars straight in using vst fx.

Last edited on Tue Oct 26th, 2021 08:40 pm by ChrisPrice

Posted: Fri Oct 29th, 2021 01:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
44th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
Chris,

So Cubase 11.0 isn't so hot? I've been thinking about upgrading but just don't want to let go of something that I know so well and works so well for me! My system is stable as a rock and I want to risk mucking it up just to try something I may not like.

Last edited on Fri Oct 29th, 2021 01:32 am by moptop

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Posted: Sun Oct 31st, 2021 11:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
45th Post
ChrisPrice
Contributor

Favorite Artist: Too many to list here
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
moptop wrote: Chris,

So Cubase 11.0 isn't so hot? I've been thinking about upgrading but just don't want to let go of something that I know so well and works so well for me! My system is stable as a rock and I want to risk mucking it up just to try something I may not like.
Dom,
Cubase 11 is very good. I just don't need any of the newer features for what I do and I much prefer the older interface. That's just me - I gather many users love the new look. Imo they've borrowed a few things from Presonus Studio - the transport bar in particular. As we say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like you, I'm happy with what I have. It's stable which is a good reason to leave things as they are. Hope you are keeping well.:)

Posted: Tue Nov 16th, 2021 04:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
46th Post
Undervision1

Favorite Artist: Pink Floyd
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
I use the very simple but effective Yamaha Audiogram 6 running the old Cubase AI4.. no probs,7 albums under my belt now..
Jon (Undervision 1)

Current time is 08:51 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1732 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 30 queries executed.