The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Lack of Feedback
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Apr 20th, 2020 09:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Andrea

Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
I have noticed lately that the rules are being ignored regarding posting and leaving feedback. I love that people are feeling inspired to write lyrics and post to share. On the other hand, it is disheartening to see that some people are not offering support to other members in the way of reviewing and commenting on other people's posts.

I feel that being part of this forum means sharing and supporting. Do you feel the same?

Posted: Mon Apr 20th, 2020 11:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
RainbowKeeper
Contributor

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
I think that everyone who asks for it should be given feedback. We all like positiv feedback but specially negative feedback helps us growing. I noticed that there are a few ppl that post their own stuff but didn’t react to the posts of others. A fact that upsets me a little cause I really like the idea behind this forum. To give and take, that should be how it works, like it works in real live. Sure not everyone likes the post xy of person yx and so you better say nothing because you don’t want to say something bad, but a line like: nicely written but I can’t relate to it....should be possible. Or some ideas on how to improve some lines...should be offered. I’m not a fan of getting a rewrite of my lyrics by someone else, that is something you might do in privat after taking to the other person. But I have to agree with Andrea, the lack of feedback became really obvious during the last couple of days. Dunno why.
Yours
RK

Posted: Tue Apr 21st, 2020 01:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
RainbowKeeper wrote:
....Sure not everyone likes the post xy of person yx and so you better say nothing because you don’t want to say something bad, but a line like: nicely written but I can’t relate to it....should be possible. Or some ideas on how to improve some lines...should be offered. I’m not a fan of getting a rewrite of my lyrics by someone else, that is something you might do in privat after taking to the other person....

Yes, It's very much a double edged sword when you listen to a posters song that you don't relate to or just don't like. For me in a case like that if I didn't feel like I have anything constructive to suggest I've always thought it best to refrain from saying anything out of respect for the poster. Here this person is putting their heart and soul into creating something that I'm sure they're proud of, who and I to rain on their parade so to speak and discourage them from continuing with their music, especially if it's an new member.....but I do see RK's point. It's the negative feedback the is most important to help the poster grow and learn. But giving the kind of feed back in a supportive and respectful manner is both hard but essential....for both the poster and the person leaving the comments.

You both bring up very good points here!

Last edited on Wed Apr 22nd, 2020 03:47 pm by moptop

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Posted: Wed Apr 22nd, 2020 03:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Andrea

Thanks for your thoughts on this Moptop. I understand that it is difficult to give feedback that isn't always positive. It is true though that is how we grow to be better. It is also true that members are not expected to respond to every post. Sometimes you may just want to say "well done". Other times you may have a constructive suggestion. On others you may not know what to say - that is ok, because there are plenty of posts to follow the 2 for 1 rule. Also, I think the poster can give a clue as to the type of feedback they hope for. Some say, "please check out my song". Supporting this person may mean just listening. Others may say, "please let me know what you think". Here it seems that they would like constructive feedback.

Posted: Wed Apr 22nd, 2020 04:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
Yep, I often struggled with how to word a post to a newbie in a way that says "no it's not the greatest song I've ever heard, yes it has a lot of issues but it's good start and it has lot of potential" without them feeling like your picking on them and stifling their drive and enthusiasm to want to continue on. After all we all started in the same place, as a newbie. Luckily for me, in my musical learning journey I came across more people who were willing to help and encourage me than one's that said "you're not any good kid, go away!". Who knows, it would have been the other way around I might have just given up music all together and just got a job peddling fish or something. :shock:

Also while it's on my mind......just general participation/conversation...like the conversation we are having here, is also a good way to show support for the forum community. Offering thoughts and opinions on other subjects is also good.

Last edited on Wed Apr 22nd, 2020 04:06 pm by moptop

Posted: Thu Apr 23rd, 2020 12:27 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
I think getting no feedback is the worst outcome.
It leaves you feeling that the song must be very bad (and likely worse than it really is), but with no idea about why.

But I am more careful with new arrivals until I have some sense of how receptive they are, and how realistic about their songs.

Posted: Thu Apr 23rd, 2020 12:58 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Andrea

RainyDayMan wrote:
I think getting no feedback is the worst outcome.
It leaves you feeling that the song must be very bad (and likely worse than it really is), but with no idea about why.

But I am more careful with new arrivals until I have some sense of how receptive they are, and how realistic about their songs.

Your comment brings me to my original thought for this post. Some people post and leave comments as support, but, there are some who are posting and leaving little or no feedback to others. There are too many lyrics and songs that are getting little or no feedback. If everyone was participating as a reviewer and a poster, then this should not be the case. Everyone should have no trouble finding lyrics or songs that they can comment on. Also, to note, I have learned many things reading reviews and comments on other posts that have helped me in my writing. It doesn't have to be direct feedback that can evolve a writer/songwriter. It does take commitment and community for improvement.

Posted: Thu Apr 23rd, 2020 02:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
JAPOV

Favorite Artist: 
Just Another Point Of View... :)

I got dropped from guitar class in 6th grade... Yea', it made me angry lol... Especially since both my parents play... and that class, taught by the guy who co-wrote "Dead Puppies", was just boring the *** out of me! Let's face it, the general public isn't gathering here to be entertained. WE gather here because we share a common creative spirit, which makes it exceedingly difficult for us to entertain each other lol. We all have our self interest at heart and that makes us the worst kind of critics. We're not listening to each others songs over a beer at the corner pub... we're scouring the web for inspiration and competing to be heard. I generally take a lot of flack for being so spiritually/politically motivated. I can't help it, after one tour of duty and a failed marriage I guess I grew out of sex, drugs, rock-n-roll lol... but I still appreciate it because that's what got me here! My point is this... Perhaps we should adopt an attitude more like "hanging at the corner pub" and appreciate the fact that this is probably as far as our music careers are ever going to go. Maybe then we can be comfortable enough with each other to just be real..

Last edited on Thu Apr 23rd, 2020 02:50 am by JAPOV

Posted: Thu Apr 23rd, 2020 01:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
moptop

JAPOV wrote:
Just Another Point Of View... :)

....Let's face it, the general public isn't gathering here to be entertained. WE gather here because we share a common creative spirit, which makes it exceedingly difficult for us to entertain each other lol. We all have our self interest at heart and that makes us the worst kind of critics. We're not listening to each others songs over a beer at the corner pub... we're scouring the web for inspiration and competing to be heard.

.... Perhaps we should adopt an attitude more like "hanging at the corner pub" and appreciate the fact that this is probably as far as our music careers are ever going to go. Maybe then we can be comfortable enough with each other to just be real..

So true! I have no problem in saying the my main reason for do this, creating music, is for my own personal enjoyment. My motto is..."I do this for FUN!!". I have no reason or ambitions to try to "sell" my material on the open market or get involved with the commerical music industry at all. The internet if full of much better trained musicians that are way better than I am who are scrambling to "make it" or "get discovered", whatever those two phrase's mean, that don't and never will! So why should I set myself up for that kind of discouragement and disappointment. No dreams of stardom here! If making music that only gets heard by family and friends, that's more than enough for me. It makes me happy and that's all that matters.

Yes, oh yes, we are our own worth critics and that's not a bad thing. I think that's what help drive us to want to continue and learn and get better at it. I've seen many gifted local musicians who were just killer players but had the attitude the they were something special and that they knew it all and would take suggestions from anyone and they were complete buttholes, all the time. And guess what, nobody wanted to be around them let alone play in a band with them. Once you decide you to stop learning..you turn into that?? NO thanks!

Yep, "hanging at the corner pub" or the corner forum sharing what knowledge we have and helping others an their musical journey sounds great to me and sounds like a place I want to be.

I hope you all are still safe and sound!

Last edited on Thu Apr 23rd, 2020 01:51 pm by moptop

Posted: Fri Apr 24th, 2020 02:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
JAPOV

Favorite Artist: 
Cheers! :)

Posted: Sat Apr 25th, 2020 05:00 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
samiamiamsam

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
Feedback for feedback.
If someone leaves a comment on one of my posts, I will do the same for one of theirs.
It's a fairly simple concept.

I've noticed the same thing since I've been here.
I haven't posted anything new in 6 months.
But I still try to comment on a few songs every week.
It can be discouraging when we spend so much time creating and get so little in return.

Last edited on Sat Apr 25th, 2020 05:55 pm by samiamiamsam

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120

Posted: Thu Apr 30th, 2020 09:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Andrea

I think most of us here are realistic about our lyrics/music. My ambition is to just have one song completed that a local band (my son's band would be the best), or even myself will play for some little crowd. Many here are way ahead of me, and the encouragement keeps me going. I may not be looking for stardom, but I still want to get better.

Feedback for feedback as Sam said. This is the bread and butter that keeps people here and posting. Leaving feedback for others is the best way to meet others here and get feedback in return. It seems that people joined for this reason, so it isn't too much to expect that everyone would follow along. The funny thing is, so far those who commented here are the same who already comment regularly.

Posted: Fri May 1st, 2020 09:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
moptop

Andrea wrote:
The funny thing is, so far those who commented here are the same who already comment regularly.

That's because we take our musical journey seriously! Our creativity and self expression is important to us.

Posted: Sun Jul 19th, 2020 02:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Tekboy

Favorite Artist: James Taylor
I have been gone from here for quite a while. I basically "lost my mojo" from not being able to play music with other people. I finally just "took it back", so to speak. I played one gig, and have gone to two socially distant jams, and I am back in the groove.
Entered one of my songs on here (with a little editing) in a national songwriting contest this week. I am "up and running again". :)

Last edited on Wed Jul 22nd, 2020 02:05 pm by Tekboy

Posted: Sun Jul 19th, 2020 11:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Andrea

Tekboy wrote:
I have been gone from here for quite a while. I basically "lost my mojo" from not being able to play music with other people. I finally just "took it back", so to speak. I played on gig, and have tone to two socially distant jams, and I am back in the groove.
Entered one of my songs on here (with a little editing) in a national songwriting contest this week. I am "up and running again". :)

Nice to hear things are getting back on track for you. I hope you do well in the contest. See you around :)

Posted: Sat Aug 29th, 2020 04:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
John_Sturgill

I am a: 
I see this post was created on April 20. Here it is 4 months later and, in my experience and what I see, the problem remains. I've followed the rules and more. Think too much of my creative word crafts to let them set around unappreciated.

Posted: Sat Aug 29th, 2020 03:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
ChrisPrice
Contributor

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
I mostly hang out and post my stuff in the Rock/Pop section. I do try as much as possible to review other's songs - I think it's vital that we do. One thing I am guilty of is not venturing much beyond that section. I guess we all gravitate to the area which suits what we do. There are a lot of different places on this great forum so it's hard to visit them all. :)

Posted: Sat Aug 29th, 2020 04:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
John_Sturgill

I am a: 
Thank you for responding. I think this is a wonderful forum as well, that's why I contribute. Although, it seems that the same few are doing the critiques from my point of view. And, the 2-3 feedback per post is most certainly not being meet at least in my experience.

As for me, the quality of the few who have provided feedback is well appreciated worth what I put in. But,I think it's a shame.

Posted: Sat Aug 29th, 2020 09:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Andrea

Hi John, you are a welcome addition to the forum. Your contributions and reviews are much appreciated.

It is true, a few do a lot and a lot do little. It would be nice if is was more balanced.

I have found that reading other people posts has helped me improve as a writer. It is great to see so many different ideas

I also found reading feedback left to others is informative. It sometimes teaches me about writing or music, or even just about life and the world. It is a good way to get to know other people here too.

I guess, this is my plug for everyone to see the benefits of reading other posts and leaving feedback.

Plus, the forum will thrive on it :)

Posted: Sat Aug 29th, 2020 09:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Andrea

ChrisPrice wrote:
I mostly hang out and post my stuff in the Rock/Pop section. I do try as much as possible to review other's songs - I think it's vital that we do. One thing I am guilty of is not venturing much beyond that section. I guess we all gravitate to the area which suits what we do. There are a lot of different places on this great forum so it's hard to visit them all. :)

Hi Chris, It is true that there are many places to visit and we all have our favorites. I do not get to all the sections equally. I stay mostly in the pop/rock lyrics lounge or music database.

I can say, I have learned to appreciate other styles though by venturing out a bit. Plus I have met more people in the forum this way too.

Current time is 01:03 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2118 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 35 queries executed.