The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank  
AuthorPost
jonlint

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Hi everyone,

I have decided to launch a Youtube Channel "Mix It Up" to share my lessons learned as I try to improve as a musician, songwriter, arranger and a mixer. There will be various segments and it will develop based on your feedback.

I have just released the first episode of "Arranging Things" where I dissect a song I wrote "Wolf's Skin". As a bonus, I am leaving a link to stems and also a collection of free plugins that you can get started with mixing a complete song. As a further bonus, I made a rough mix using only free plugins in Reaper, which you can download all from YouTube video description.

Here is a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/v50FdxclOqE

If you like it, I would appreciate a like and subscribe. I hope to bring you more content in the coming months.

RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Good stuff Jonathan! Enjoyed that. Hope you will do more of those. I found it interesting and useful. I've hit the subscribe button :)

I found it helpful when you were saying the effect you were aiming for (lifting the dynamic) mapped to the technique you were using (changing the guitar style or drum pattern) without getting caught up entirely in the technical detail of implementing that. There's a place for detail too, of course, but often that's dependent on the gear you are using, and in any case needs that overarching piece of why you are trying to do it in the first place! I guess it's that bridge between songwriting and arranging.

The plugins list was generous of you. For myself I didn't want to download those without understanding what they were. I tend to get cluttered enough as it is!

Your mixes are always top notch, so it's great that your sharing your approach. Good on you!

jonlint

Favorite Artist: 
RainyDayMan wrote:
Good stuff Jonathan! Enjoyed that. Hope you will do more of those. I found it interesting and useful. I've hit the subscribe button :)

I found it helpful when you were saying the effect you were aiming for (lifting the dynamic) mapped to the technique you were using (changing the guitar style or drum pattern) without getting caught up entirely in the technical detail of implementing that. There's a place for detail too, of course, but often that's dependent on the gear you are using, and in any case needs that overarching piece of why you are trying to do it in the first place! I guess it's that bridge between songwriting and arranging.

The plugins list was generous of you. For myself I didn't want to download those without understanding what they were. I tend to get cluttered enough as it is!

Your mixes are always top notch, so it's great that your sharing your approach. Good on you!

Glad you liked! I wish there was more stuff like this rather than how to EQ snares and kick when I was starting out. I was planning episodes like this every 3-4 weeks, but if there is interest I will do this more often.

jonlint

Favorite Artist: 
Hi all,

A first in a series called "Grunge Greats" on my YouTube channel Mix It Up is now online:

https://youtu.be/O_y-fT97rn4

The episode analyses how Jerry Cantrell uses fills to build interest and density, and I show how I took this inspiration in my songs. Hope you enjoy. More to come...

RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Good stuff Jonathan!

I found the second half a little easier to get into where you could describe what was in your head as you were developing each part.

The first part was interesting, but harder to figure how I might apply it to my own songs.

Keep 'em coming! :)

jonlint

Favorite Artist: 
Hi all,

Check out episode 2 of "Arranging Things" on YouTube: Mix It Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMtLmM2vG68

RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

More good stuff!

Some great messages there; equally applicable to songwriting as mixing:

-your skills will improve over time. It's ok if your early efforts aren't as good as you would like. It's the act of creating and working on pieces that allows your skills to develop

-revisit earlier works and see if you can improve them now.
Songs can usually be enhanced from their first conception. If you think of a song or recording as 'complete' from the moment it is laid down you lose the opportunity to enhance it as your skills increase.

jonlint

Favorite Artist: 
Check out episode 2 of "Grunge Greats" on Mix It Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SPlXoqK8ek

RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Good stuff, Jonathan! :)

moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
Jonathan, great video! I hope this does well for you. It's nice to be able to put a face behind the voice and the text on the screen.

And yes, I liked the song and think it a good one!

jonlint

Favorite Artist: 
Hi all,

Episode 3 of "Arranging Things" on Mix It Up is out. In this episode I focus on the song arrangement and development of an acoustic guitar based song.

Hope you enjoy. More to come, so subscribe to keep up to date.

https://youtu.be/Edl_UXIAyco

RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Good stuff Jonathan! Enjoying the series :)

jonlint

Favorite Artist: 
Hi all,

Episode 4 of Arranging Things is online on the YouTube channel Mix It Up. This episode looks at acoustic guitar production for the song "Space and Time".

https://youtu.be/_Niz3ovZnUU

RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

:thumbsup

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1707 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 29 queries executed.