The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Lyric Recognition
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 15th, 2020 07:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Becki5

Favorite Artist: Stevie Nicks
I am a: Other
Hi everyone! Would anyone know or have any experience of proposing songs/lyrics to well known music artists or their managers? If so, please share your experience. Do you need to know someone in the music business or have an agent in order to successfully submit your work/works to an artist/manager to have them physically look at it? I was checking out a website with the url address Fiverr.com. Has anyone had any experience with selling their works on this website? I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks!

Posted: Fri Feb 21st, 2020 02:35 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Becki5,

welcome to the forum!
I thought I would chime in here with a bit of a post from another person who is in the music business and directly answers your question. This bit comes from another forum and the link at the bottom with take you directly there if you are interested in reading the entire thread.

This is not my views or feelings on the subject, I'm passing long the info.

The quick an easy answer of "How do you get songs to an artist? " In this day and age, you DON'T.
For over 30 years and probably beyond that, there has been a strict "NO UNSOLICITED MATERIAL" rule in the industry. If you are not known, NO ONE is going to listen to your songs. There are some very real reasons for this.
NUMBER ONE IS LAWSUITS.
Today, if you get a hit song, you are going to be sued by someone saying they "wrote the same song and mailed it into their publisher/producer" or walked up to them at a party and gave them a CD."
That does happen, but the CD's are immediately thrown away and are not listened by anyone. No one will take a chance on getting something.
We are all writing the same things so many things come up over and over. Same titles, same ideas, same rhymes, it's impossible NOT to pick up other things. And many times it is some part or even more of a song that we heard when we were kids, sometimes hits before we were born.
So no one takes a chance on listening to anything from anyone they don't PERSONALLY KNOW.

INSIDE CUTS AND TRACKS.
Now, artists are signed as writers FIRST. And are groomed by writing with Nashville's best writers. They are usually developed BY Nashville's hit makers and the songs they are writers on are often written WITH the hit writers who are producing and grooming them. You have people like Kacee Musgraves, Taylor Swift and many other well performing hit makers , who often get hits for other people BEFORE they get record or sometimes even publishing deals. That is why they get record deals.
One of the biggest hit makers in the past few years is JAMEY JOHNSON. He had a huge hit on himself with IN COLOR. It was his first number one.
But if it weren't for a hit with TRACE ADTKINS called "HONKEY TONK, BEDONKY TONK" that came a few years before that one, that Jamey wrote, there would have BEEN NO "IN COLOR."

People who do this for real spend YEARS and sometimes DECADES building relationships writing with many many people working on their own and other people's stuff long before their ships come in. It is called a "TEN YEAR TOWN" for a reason. It takes at least ten years of dedicated work, nuancing political skills and waiting till your friends get into positions of power and open doors for you, to get there. And since 90% of people who try to do this quit between 2-3 years, they are long from the finish line. And even getting past that time frame many will still never "MAKE IT." (I HATE that term) . Only so many slots. So many chart poisitions. So many cuts.

How do you get "inside?"
You write your way inside. The average Nashville writer writes around 125-150 songs a year with 35-50 different people. You are trying to get on the ground floor of people today that will be potential starts 3-5 years from now. So you START with people around you. If you can't find people around you, you are not looking hard enough.

MAB

https://www.musesongwriters.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70825-what-do-you-do-when-youre-stuck/

Last edited on Fri Feb 21st, 2020 02:37 am by moptop

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Posted: Fri Feb 21st, 2020 03:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Becki5

Thank you for the welcome Moptop and for replying! I’m glad you sent me this article. The music business is definitely a very tough business for sure, if you are looking for it to be more than a hobby. Thank you for the article and putting things into perspective.

Posted: Fri Feb 21st, 2020 12:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
Becki,
I'm glad you liked it. It definitely wasn't my intention to pop your bubble so to speak. The last thing I would ever want to do is discourage anyone who wants to create music. I am more the opposite, I always try to support someone like yourself as much as possible. I just thought you would appreciate getting some info on how the people on the inside of the music business really do think. His comments in that thread surprised me and yet didn't surprise me. I always knew in the music industry that's it been a "it's who you know" with an "old boys club" sort of mentality. If you're not in, you're kept out. So much for cultivating new and upcoming musicians who are gifted and do have something new and wonderful to offer...which if you went to the link and read my response to him the disdain I expressed about that.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to throw water on your musical fire. I just thought I would pass along some info I though might be useful, and I'm very glad and relived that you viewed it with an open mind. I hope to see more of you here on the forum. There are a lot of good people on this one who are willing to help.

Take care,
Dominick

Posted: Mon Feb 24th, 2020 04:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Becki5

Hi Dominick! Please, don’t ever worry about getting my hopes up. That was a very sweet thought/gesture though. Thank you!! I’d rather someone be honest with me, rather than “sugar coat” it and then be disappointed of the outcome. Also, I basically had an idea (especially nowadays) that it would be like moving a mountain (with or without an agent) to get someone to recognize your work(s). But, that’s okay, I enjoy what I do either way. It’s very cathartic.

Posted: Mon Feb 24th, 2020 04:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Becki5

moptop wrote:
Becki5,

welcome to the forum!
I thought I would chime in here with a bit of a post from another person who is in the music business and directly answers your question. This bit comes from another forum and the link at the bottom with take you directly there if you are interested in reading the entire thread.

This is not my views or feelings on the subject, I'm passing long the info.

The quick an easy answer of "How do you get songs to an artist? " In this day and age, you DON'T.
For over 30 years and probably beyond that, there has been a strict "NO UNSOLICITED MATERIAL" rule in the industry. If you are not known, NO ONE is going to listen to your songs. There are some very real reasons for this.
NUMBER ONE IS LAWSUITS.
Today, if you get a hit song, you are going to be sued by someone saying they "wrote the same song and mailed it into their publisher/producer" or walked up to them at a party and gave them a CD."
That does happen, but the CD's are immediately thrown away and are not listened by anyone. No one will take a chance on getting something.
We are all writing the same things so many things come up over and over. Same titles, same ideas, same rhymes, it's impossible NOT to pick up other things. And many times it is some part or even more of a song that we heard when we were kids, sometimes hits before we were born.
So no one takes a chance on listening to anything from anyone they don't PERSONALLY KNOW.

INSIDE CUTS AND TRACKS.
Now, artists are signed as writers FIRST. And are groomed by writing with Nashville's best writers. They are usually developed BY Nashville's hit makers and the songs they are writers on are often written WITH the hit writers who are producing and grooming them. You have people like Kacee Musgraves, Taylor Swift and many other well performing hit makers , who often get hits for other people BEFORE they get record or sometimes even publishing deals. That is why they get record deals.
One of the biggest hit makers in the past few years is JAMEY JOHNSON. He had a huge hit on himself with IN COLOR. It was his first number one.
But if it weren't for a hit with TRACE ADTKINS called "HONKEY TONK, BEDONKY TONK" that came a few years before that one, that Jamey wrote, there would have BEEN NO "IN COLOR."

People who do this for real spend YEARS and sometimes DECADES building relationships writing with many many people working on their own and other people's stuff long before their ships come in. It is called a "TEN YEAR TOWN" for a reason. It takes at least ten years of dedicated work, nuancing political skills and waiting till your friends get into positions of power and open doors for you, to get there. And since 90% of people who try to do this quit between 2-3 years, they are long from the finish line. And even getting past that time frame many will still never "MAKE IT." (I HATE that term) . Only so many slots. So many chart poisitions. So many cuts.

How do you get "inside?"
You write your way inside. The average Nashville writer writes around 125-150 songs a year with 35-50 different people. You are trying to get on the ground floor of people today that will be potential starts 3-5 years from now. So you START with people around you. If you can't find people around you, you are not looking hard enough.

MAB

https://www.musesongwriters.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70825-what-do-you-do-when-youre-stuck/

Hi again Dominick! This is my second time reading this. I also have read the comments that follow. There are some strong responses. I believe there is truth to everyone’s notion. Some speak from experience, others speak from their heart. In the end, I feel you must enjoy what you do, because you still wouldn’t be doing it if you didn’t believe in yourself. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Posted: Tue Feb 25th, 2020 12:25 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
moptop

Becki,
Yes, you are so right! I f you believe in yourself then I think you can find a way to get past all of that industry hierarchy and make yourself heard. You will find a way!

For me, I do this for my own enjoyment. My motto is "I do this for fun", and just don't stray from that thought. I've I never had any illusions of fame and fortune. With the multitudes of much more talented musicians out there getting nowhere I figure why would I want to set myself up for a boatload of stress and disappointment? :cool:

I see that you're in Jersey. We're from the same neck of the woods then. I was born in Brooklyn....but please don't hold that against me! I have a cousin that lives in West Patterson if that helps!

Last edited on Tue Feb 25th, 2020 12:28 am by moptop

Posted: Tue Feb 25th, 2020 04:24 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Becki5

Haha! That’s funny that you asked me to not judge you for being from Brooklyn, bc I was going to say the same thing about being from Jersey. Anyway, keep playing and creating great music!

Posted: Mon Apr 6th, 2020 08:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Beatnick

Favorite Artist: Rush, Queen, Beatles, Styx, Journey, Elton John to name a ...
I know this is over a month old, but it made me laugh. I knew a guy several years back who used to tell me he was in with Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and I can't remember who else he mentioned, but they were all very big name musicians that he sent copies of his music to. He swore he was going to be millionaire by doing that and all he had to do was keep listening to the radio and one day he would hear one of his songs and he would sue. I just nodded and was polite when he said that, but I knew just because he sent those to them, it didn't mean they would listen to them. In most cases they know what they are before they even open them and throw them out.

https://beatnicksodyssey.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/beatnicksodyssey
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCwJYQ5a0E8dA8B8gIWekRQ

Current time is 10:06 pm

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1652 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.