The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Melodyne & Midi
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Dec 8th, 2019 05:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Snowman

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
I'm old, my equipment is old and I'm not upgrading for what I do.

My main instrument is guitar. But, I like keyboards on my songs, and if I work hard enough I can add a little. Back in the 90s I wanted a midi guitar. They were expensive and didn't really trigger right. Fast Forward to YESTERDAY.

I thought I bet midi guitars are perfected. They're not. They're OBSOLETE.

If you have Melodyne and have a guitar track, vocal track, or ANY TRACK. You can find the melody or polyphonic and then Export it as a midi file. Which means you can have a perfect track to add a different instrument to.

It's AMAZING.

You can do it live with Reaper. But, on my old laptop the triggering is just as bad as the 90s guitars.

Posted: Thu Dec 12th, 2019 08:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
It is definitely a digital world for music nowadays.
I haven't spent a lot of time with Melodyne, but it seems like an impressive piece of kit

Posted: Thu Jan 2nd, 2020 12:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
I have never had the chance to work with Melodyne but I have read about it's pitch editing capabilities..which are pretty awesome sounding but didn't know that it could be used for what you said. That's pretty cool. I do use a promo version of a program called veilkang for minor vocal pitch editing and harmony creating. It just has the basic features but does well for me. If I was more into music like I was back in the day I would definitely consider purchasing a full blown version of Melodyne or Velkang cause I'm sure it would be an powerful tool to have but just being the hobbyist I am now I can get by with what I have now.

I also looked hard at buying a Roland MIDI guitar setup when they first came out back in the 90's when I was playing 3-4 nights a week. And you are right, they just didn't track very well and I wasn't impressed enough to lay out 1K for one at the time. I have since seen plenty of them come through my local pawn and musics shops at a fraction of that price....tempting,but.....with the capabilities I have with the Cubase version I'm using I just cannot justify spending money on something I know is not going to work as well as what I already have.

Last edited on Thu Jan 2nd, 2020 12:17 am by moptop

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Posted: Thu Jan 2nd, 2020 10:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Snowman

Favorite Artist: 
I don't know how "veilkang" works. But, basic melodyne (that's what I use) is beyond easy, and certain digital recorders actually allow you to add it directly to your track. I use it stand alone.

You set the tempo (extremely important)

Track 1: Acoustic guitar.
Track 2: Vocal

As with most everything, the length of the tracks have to be the same, or they won't match up.

Look at the attached photo. All you do is click on a blob and move it to the note you want. If you can read it, the actual note A A# is written. So, you see what note you're placing it at.

Other really easy things:

Lowering or raising a blob's volume.
Stretching or shortening a note.
Separating notes.
Doubling the track and creating harmonies.

The best way to put it, if I can do it, ANYONE can.

Thankfully, I barely even look for anything anymore. I'd like to update. But, it's not really necessary and I have so much crap it's unbelievable.

I do own 2 Bond Electroglides. Mick Jones used it with B.A.D. The only electronic guitar I've ever seen. It was made of moserite (something like that) and the neck had steps not frets. When they'd wear out you'd remove the neck and replace it. I never used it enough to wear it out.

Attachment: 249192.jpg (Downloaded 13 times)

Posted: Thu Jan 2nd, 2020 10:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
Snowman wrote:

I do own 2 Bond Electroglides. Mick Jones used it with B.A.D. The only electronic guitar I've ever seen. It was made of moserite (something like that) and the neck had steps not frets. When they'd wear out you'd remove the neck and replace it. I never used it enough to wear it out.

LOL!!! I think you mean Masonite!! The same material that Danelectro's were/are made of. Mosrite is or was an actual guitar company in the 60's and 70's. The 60's group The Ventures used their guitars exclusively.

Yeah, Veilklang works very similar to Melodyne. With the Promo version I have don't have as many features but it still is a very powerful tool. It was a free Download with the purchase of Computer Music Magazine. I was going to ask you which version of Melodyne you have. I read a lot of articles that say their interface/control panel is a bit of a pain in the ass to work with. Is that true?

Thanks for the picture! I'll see if I can dig up one of Veilklang for you!

Posted: Fri Jan 3rd, 2020 12:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Snowman

Favorite Artist: 
When you pass the basics, it gets to be a pain. As most programs do. I personally like to keep it simple. Because technology is great. But, it shouldn't replace musicianship (good or bad). 4 is very simple. 2 was a little more problematic. You could put a blob on A and because of vibrato it could still be an A# or Ab. They've reduced that in 4.

I was off on my Bonds here's what wiki says " a carbon fibre electric guitar... with a unique stepped phenolic resin fingerboard instead of traditional frets." It has a power supply. So, if you lose that, the guitar won't play.

Attachment: dsc05983.jpg (Downloaded 12 times)

Last edited on Fri Jan 3rd, 2020 12:14 am by Snowman

Posted: Fri Jan 3rd, 2020 12:27 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
moptop

That looks sweet! I'm going to go do a little research on
it! Carbon fiber is what Steinbergs and Parkers are made of too. Very tough stuff.

Here's a pix of Vielklang. Looks very similar to Melodyne.

Attachment: vielklang.jpg (Downloaded 12 times)

Last edited on Fri Jan 3rd, 2020 12:28 am by moptop

Posted: Fri Jan 3rd, 2020 01:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
moptop

Sorry, here's a better picture.

Attachment: Opera Snapshot_2020-01-02_192250_www.pressreader.jpg (Downloaded 11 times)

Posted: Fri Jan 3rd, 2020 02:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Snowman

Favorite Artist: 
They both look pretty much like melodyne. Though from what you showed in the second, probably easier to use then melodyne.

I remember the Steinberg and Parker (I didn't know the names). Perhaps made of the same material, but nowhere near the same guitar. The Bond was groundbreaking at the time, it just didn't catch on. Here's a better photo of the fret board. It was something to hold and play. Very clean sound.

Attachment: download.jpg (Downloaded 9 times)

Last edited on Fri Jan 3rd, 2020 02:22 am by Snowman

Posted: Sat Jan 4th, 2020 12:54 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
moptop

Articles I've read so far say they only about 1500 of them were made, and they came from Scotland. And you say you have two of them? I'm surprised that any of them made it to the US. So how did you luck into one let alone two?

Last edited on Sat Jan 4th, 2020 12:55 am by moptop

Posted: Sat Jan 4th, 2020 02:28 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Snowman

Favorite Artist: 
I don't remember how I got the first one. Probably 48th St in NYC. It was NY's music row.

The second I bought from Sam Ash on LI $100. It doesn't have the power supply. But, I have one with the first.

I haven't used either since the late 80s.

I also have an original Gittler. Supposedly there were only 60 made, and it was in some museum. I bought that on 48th.

I like odd guitars. I almost feel bad about owning them, because they're not doing what they're suppose to. Be played.

I also own a copy of the very first synth guitar. I think it came from Roland.

Attachment: astron3-764x1024.jpg (Downloaded 7 times)

Posted: Sat Jan 4th, 2020 03:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
moptop

I remember seeing those when they first came out too. Isn't there some kind of controller box you have to plug that into to make it work? Isn't the neck/frets all aluminum?

Posted: Sat Jan 4th, 2020 03:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Snowman

Favorite Artist: 
It's some sort of heavy metal. It has a cable, but I've never used it. I plug in a regular jack. I used to use it for a few songs live. I bought it in the 80s, and it still has the original strings on it. I wouldn't even know how to remove them.

I paid $250 or $300. I see one for sale for over $3000. My wife will make a penny when I'm dead. I just hope she doesn't give them away for nothing.

We picked up at an estate sale a Disney Dopey Limoges type box for $20. These people had hundreds of Disney items. She liked it. I looked it up on ebay and there's actual sales for over $500. That's what she's gonna do when I'm dead. Fifty bucks I don't know what it is.

Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 07:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
moptop

George,
I had no idea what you were talking about so I went and googled it....it's a goofy looking thing isn't it?
I guess it's the "limoges" thing that makes it so desirable. There is a street not far from where I live that's called Limoges!

Since you were nice enough to show me some of your cool guitars I thought I would reciprocate. Here are a couple of my "collectables"
An original Hofner 459 Beatles Guitar made the first week of Jan '67. They're making reissues of it now. It has a very sweet voice.
And my Mc350nt Ibanez Musician. Neck thru body! According to Ibanez they only made 87 of these that year and this one is number 82! I've seen several of these go for $2500-$3000 in similar condition on Ebay and Reverb lately. I've had this one since the late 80's and don't have much in it. If I remember I traded some car stereo equipment for it....that I had nothing in!!

Yeah, I'm hoping that my wife doesn't just give away my guitars when I die. :Angel: I have a few that are worth something.

Have a good week!
Dominick

Attachment: 100_2700.JPG (Downloaded 4 times)

Last edited on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 07:54 pm by moptop

Current time is 01:04 pm

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1758 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.