The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Your favourite lyrics ever?
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 18th, 2019 11:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 922
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I remember that one.
There were two albums that had a huge impact on me in that day.
Best of Cream and Led Zeppelin II.
So much of the Cream album was in that psychedelic blues vein.
Like this one.


White Room
Cream

In the white room with black curtains near the station
Black roof country, no gold pavements, tired starlings
Silver horses ran down moonbeams in your dark eyes
Dawnlight smiles on you leaving, my contentment

I'll wait in this place where the sun never shines
Wait in this place where the shadows run from themselves

You said no strings could secure you at the station
Platform ticket, restless diesels, goodbye windows
I walked into such a sad time at the station
As I walked out, felt my own need just beginning

I'll wait in the queue when the trains come back
Lie with you where the shadows run from themselves

At the party she was kindness in the hard crowd
Consolation for the old wound now forgotten
Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her dark eyes
She's just dressing, goodbye windows, tired starlings

I'll sleep in this place with the lonely crowd
Lie in the dark where the shadows run from themselves

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Jack Bruce / Pete Brown
White Room lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc




____________________
Blue Collar Road Scholar

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522
Back To Top 


 Posted: Wed Sep 18th, 2019 05:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 584
Favorite Artist: The Eagles, Lyle Lovett, Billie Holiday, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Yea Sketch, White Room is pretty trippy. It’s my next best Cream song. Or how about As You Said, where Jack Bruce’s voice melds with the instrumentation. I love it!

Charles



____________________
All songs are from God. Those that are not, aren’t songs at all.
Back To Top


 Posted: Thu Sep 19th, 2019 12:35 am
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 922
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
cmaja wrote: Yea Sketch, White Room is pretty trippy. It’s my next best Cream song. Or how about As You Said, where Jack Bruce’s voice melds with the instrumentation. I love it!

Charles

Yup.

And then there's Strange Brew and SWLABR. (the album was loaded)
And my personal favorite, Badge, with George Harrison on second guitar. (through a Leslie)

- Sketch

PS --- The Cream song, As You Said, reminds me of Alice in Chains guitarist,
Jerry Cantrell's solo album - Boggy Depot - Track 05. Breaks My Back ---
uses the same effect. Actually that whole album is good.
Pretty dark though. Listener beware.

Last edited on Thu Sep 19th, 2019 12:52 am by Motorist Sketchbook



____________________
Blue Collar Road Scholar

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2019 05:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 584
Favorite Artist: The Eagles, Lyle Lovett, Billie Holiday, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Yea, that’s an awesome song by Jerry. When I was in the USAF and stationed at McChord AFB, we lived just down the street from the Cantrell’s. My son used to hang out with him. He was a nice kid.

Charles



____________________
All songs are from God. Those that are not, aren’t songs at all.
Back To Top


 Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2019 12:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 922
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
cmaja wrote: Yea, that’s an awesome song by Jerry. When I was in the USAF and stationed at McChord AFB, we lived just down the street from the Cantrell’s. My son used to hang out with him. He was a nice kid.

Charles

"It's a small world - after all..."

So, at some point you made the connection that Jerry had become famous? 
Did your son stay in contact, or reconnect at some point?

- Sketch



Last edited on Sat Sep 21st, 2019 01:14 pm by Motorist Sketchbook



____________________
Blue Collar Road Scholar

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Sep 21st, 2019 10:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
26th Post
cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 584
Favorite Artist: The Eagles, Lyle Lovett, Billie Holiday, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Yea, we monitored his career from the start. My son reconnected with Jerry when they were both in Germany some ten years ago or so.

Charles



____________________
All songs are from God. Those that are not, aren’t songs at all.
Back To Top


 Posted: Wed Sep 25th, 2019 11:22 am
  PMQuoteReply
27th Post
AnonymousLou
Member
 

Joined: Tue Jul 16th, 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Favorite Artist: Amy Winehouse, Billie Holiday, Dean Martin, Janis Joplin
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Hey guys, sorry it's been a little while since I've been active on the forum but I am so glad to see so many great lyrics people have posted!
Another one I love is 'Wake up Alone by Amy Winehouse', particularly the chorus:
He's fierce in my dreams, seizing my guts
He floats me with dread
Soaked in soul
He swims in my eyes by the bed
Pour myself over him
Moon spilling in
And I wake up alone



____________________
My youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSms0g5vhKah6b8_t3HbNEw?view_as=subscriber
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sun Sep 29th, 2019 11:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
28th Post
ChrisPrice
Member
 

Joined: Sun Jun 30th, 2019
Location: Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 125
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I just found this section on here. One of my favourite lyricists is Keith Reid who wrote the words for Brit band Procol Harum..best known for 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' in 1967 but who were really an early prog-rock band. They released a whole load of excellent albums over the years and a line-up still exists in 2019.

Keith Reid's lyrics were bizzaar to say the least and sometimes quite dark. 'I'll blacken your Christmas - and p*** on your door' was one of his more dramatic lines(!!) - 'Still There'll Be More' was nonetheless a great song. Their song 'The Dead Man's Dream' is a spine chilling and gruesome caper! No wonder the band's frontman Gary Brooker later became a Christian!!

One of Keith Reid's most poetic/psychedelic lyrics featured on the band's follow-up single to their big hit. 'Homburg' was more of the same. Again, the music was borrowed in no small part from JS Bach, but the words are just wonderful:

Homburg

Your multilingual business friend
has packed her bags and fled
Leaving only ash-filled ashtrays
and the lipsticked unmade bed
The mirror on reflection
has climbed back upon the wall
for the floor she found descended
and the ceiling was too tall

Your trouser cuffs are dirty
and your shoes are laced up wrong
you'd better take off your homburg
'cos your overcoat is too long

The town clock in the market square
stands waiting for the hour
when its hands they both turn backwards
and on meeting will devour
both themselves and also any fool
who dares to tell the time
And the sun and moon will shatter
and the signposts cease to sign

Back To Top


 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 12:32 am
  PMQuoteReply
29th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 5692
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I'm familiar with A Whiter Shade of Pale of course, but I don't think I've listened to much else of Procol Harum. I'll have to do so now.



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top 


 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 12:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
30th Post
ChrisPrice
Member
 

Joined: Sun Jun 30th, 2019
Location: Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 125
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote:
I'm familiar with A Whiter Shade of Pale of course, but I don't think I've listened to much else of Procol Harum. I'll have to do so now.

Definitely worth a listen. Some of their stuff was a bit off the wall but there's some great songs too. I saw them live a few times. First time was late 69 or early 1970 supporting Jethro Tull ( I was 16, hell - I'm old!!). I remember it well..they were really rough that night, but I saw them several times later on and they were wonderful.

Back To Top


 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 01:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
31st Post
bunnythesinger
Member


Joined: Fri Aug 2nd, 2019
Location: Central Midlands, South Carolina USA
Posts: 432
Favorite Artist: John Prine, Steve Goodman,Meatloaf, Hall&Oates, Bonnie Raitt, Amy Wineh
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Great lyric. Been revisiting Procol Harum recently, and obviously WSOP is manditory fare, but Im finding their other music really great these days. I was more of a blues guy/ southern rock guy in those days and didnt really appreciate a lot other music. Wore out a lot of Allman Brothers vinyl back then.

Bunny



____________________
"People always ask me what I write first, words or lyrics...and I always say, Yes." Martin Mull
Back To Top 


 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 09:15 am
  PMQuoteReply
32nd Post
ChrisPrice
Member
 

Joined: Sun Jun 30th, 2019
Location: Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 125
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
bunnythesinger wrote:
Great lyric. Been revisiting Procol Harum recently, and obviously WSOP is manditory fare, but Im finding their other music really great these days. I was more of a blues guy/ southern rock guy in those days and didnt really appreciate a lot other music. Wore out a lot of Allman Brothers vinyl back then.

Bunny


Nothing wrong with blues/southern rock Bunny. I love it. I wasn't really into progressive rock all that much, but I made the exception for Procol Harum who I thought were a bit special. Guitarist Robin Trower cut his teeth in this band and went on to great things after he left.
Chris

Back To Top


 Posted: Tue Oct 1st, 2019 01:57 am
  PMQuoteReply
33rd Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I always liked Kurt's lyrics. But especially Drain you, from Nirvana.

[Verse 1]
One baby to another says, "I'm lucky to have met you"
I don't care what you think unless it is about me
It is now my duty to completely drain you
I travel through a tube and end up in your infection

[Chorus]
Chew your meat for you
Pass it back and forth
In a passionate kiss
From my mouth to yours
I like you

[Verse 2]
With eyes so dilated, I've become your pupil
You taught me everything without a poison apple
The water is so yellow, I'm a healthy student
Indebted and so grateful, vacuum out the fluids

[Chorus]
Chew your meat for you
Pass it back and forth
In a passionate kiss
From my mouth to yours
I like you

[Bridge]
You, you, you
You, you, you

[Verse 1]
One baby to another says, "I'm lucky to have met you"
I don't care what you think unless it is about me
It is now my duty to completely drain you
I travel through a tube and end up in your infection

[Chorus]
Chew your meat for you
Pass it back and forth
In a passionate kiss
From my mouth to yours
Sloppy lips to lips
You're my vitamins
I like you



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top 


 Posted: Tue Oct 1st, 2019 07:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
34th Post
Kellyanneg
Member
 

Joined: Fri May 31st, 2019
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 80
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Hi Lou! Hope you are well. Looks like a fun topic you've started. :) This line of Stevie Nicks' "Landslide" chokes me up...
"Time makes you bolder, even children get older. Now I'm gettn older too".



____________________
My soundcloud page...
https://soundcloud.com/kellyannegsongs
Back To Top


 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 03:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
35th Post
moptop
Member


Joined: Mon Jul 8th, 2019
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 142
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Coyote sitting in a coffee shop
Staring a hole in his scrambled eggs


Okay now guy's, I was just perusing and saw this! Really, this is a song?.....sounds more like somebody did too much orange barrel or dropped too much window pane!:Cool_Man:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this but this just caught my eye and made me laugh!

:laugh

Last edited on Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 03:19 am by moptop



____________________
Take Care, Moptop!

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890
Back To Top 


 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 03:22 am
  PMQuoteReply
36th Post
moptop
Member


Joined: Mon Jul 8th, 2019
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 142
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
I remember that one.
There were two albums that had a huge impact on me in that day.
Best of Cream and Led Zeppelin II.
So much of the Cream album was in that psychedelic blues vein.
Like this one.


White Room
Cream

In the white room with black curtains near the station
Black roof country, no gold pavements, tired starlings
Silver horses ran down moonbeams in your dark eyes
Dawnlight smiles on you leaving, my contentment

I'll wait in this place where the sun never shines
Wait in this place where the shadows run from themselves

You said no strings could secure you at the station
Platform ticket, restless diesels, goodbye windows
I walked into such a sad time at the station
As I walked out, felt my own need just beginning

I'll wait in the queue when the trains come back
Lie with you where the shadows run from themselves

At the party she was kindness in the hard crowd
Consolation for the old wound now forgotten
Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her dark eyes
She's just dressing, goodbye windows, tired starlings

I'll sleep in this place with the lonely crowd
Lie in the dark where the shadows run from themselves

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Jack Bruce / Pete Brown
White Room lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc


I wish I had a dollar for every time I played that one on stage! Great song!...and I did get to see Jack Bruce do that live.

Moptop



____________________
Take Care, Moptop!

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890
Back To Top


 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 12:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
37th Post
Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 922
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
moptop wrote: Coyote sitting in a coffee shop
Staring a hole in his scrambled eggs


Okay now guy's, I was just perusing and saw this! Really, this is a song?.....sounds more like somebody did too much orange barrel or dropped too much window pane!:Cool_Man:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this but this just caught my eye and made me laugh!

:laugh

Oh, yes. Real song.

Coyote, Joni Mitchell

- Sketch



____________________
Blue Collar Road Scholar

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522
Back To Top 


 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 05:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
38th Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
moptop wrote: Coyote sitting in a coffee shop
Staring a hole in his scrambled eggs


Okay now guy's, I was just perusing and saw this! Really, this is a song?.....sounds more like somebody did too much orange barrel or dropped too much window pane!:Cool_Man:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this but this just caught my eye and made me laugh!

:laugh

Oh, yes. Real song.

Coyote, Joni Mitchell

- Sketch


Awesome song. Used to be a YouTube vid of her playing Coyote at Gordon Lightfoot’s house. Amazing!



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top


 Posted: Tue Oct 22nd, 2019 02:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
39th Post
Tekboy
Member


Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: Leesburg, Florida USA
Posts: 233
Favorite Artist: James Taylor
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
In tribute to the Allman Brothers Band

"Never seen a woman who could look so good
And be so doggone mean"

Angeline from the Album Reach For The Sky



____________________
"I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play it wrong".
Back To Top 


 Posted: Tue Oct 29th, 2019 08:00 pm
  PMQuoteReply
40th Post
AnonymousLou
Member
 

Joined: Tue Jul 16th, 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Favorite Artist: Amy Winehouse, Billie Holiday, Dean Martin, Janis Joplin
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Wow Chris, I've never heard of this group but the lyric are a really interesting contribution to the discussion- perhaps more people will delve into more experimental lyric writing?



____________________
My youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSms0g5vhKah6b8_t3HbNEw?view_as=subscriber
Back To Top


Current time is 02:04 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

Top



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2183 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 35 queries executed.