The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Lack of Feedback From Certain Users
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 06:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I've been here for a while now and I have noticed a troubling trend from certain members. They will post songs or lyrics and they will get feedback for their work.
But they rarely (or never) do the same for the people who commented on their songs.
This is really starting to annoy me.
If someone takes the time and listens to your song or reads your lyrics and then takes the time to leave feedback for that song, why not return the favor?
There are thousands of other things I could be doing, but I'm taking time out of my day to listen to your music and read your lyrics. Then I take the time to leave you feedback.
It makes me feel like you don't value my time.
How about some feedback for feedback?
It's pretty simple. When someone leaves comments on one of my songs, I will ALWAYS do the same for one of their songs.
It's a common courtesy in my opinion.
This has been bothering me for a while.

Here is a tip on finding other peoples songs/lyrics after they comment in one of your threads.
Click on their screen name above their avatar.
Then click on 'view profile
Then click on 'topics
In this list, you will find every thread ever created by that member.

Now, this is the most important part:
Click on one of their songs and leave them some feedback.

**End of rant**

Last edited on Sun Feb 17th, 2019 02:33 am by samiamiamsam



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 07:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor


Joined: Mon Apr 24th, 2017
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 1096
Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Status: 
Offline
Sam, I can guess that I fall into that category, my apologies. I do value the feedback and the fact that you do comment. To be honest, it is rare that I venture out of the country section. I’m honestly not very interested in other forms of music and am not really sure what I can add to other unknown genres but I will try. I will make it a point to do as you say though and try to comment in return. Again my apologies. This is a common issue on here and will continue to be. You will see it brought up every couple months.



____________________
Takamine GN71CE Sunburst
Marlen Sd-10(Supposedly used on a Byrds recording)
Self teaching in progress
Back To Top


 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 07:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor


Joined: Mon Apr 24th, 2017
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 1096
Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Status: 
Offline
Sam, I can guess that I fall into that category, my apologies. I do value the feedback and the fact that you do comment. To be honest, it is rare that I venture out of the country section. I’m honestly not very interested in other forms of music and am not really sure what I can add to other unknown genres but I will try. I will make it a point to do as you say though and try to comment in return. Again my apologies. This is a common issue on here and will continue to be. You will see it brought up every couple months.



____________________
Takamine GN71CE Sunburst
Marlen Sd-10(Supposedly used on a Byrds recording)
Self teaching in progress
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 09:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Thanks for replying MP. And I understand what you're saying about not venturing out of your certain interests.
My comfort zone is alternative music, but I try to get out of that by going into other categories also.
I guess the feedback issue has always been an issue here.

Last edited on Sat Feb 16th, 2019 09:07 pm by samiamiamsam



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top


 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 09:50 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor


Joined: Mon Apr 24th, 2017
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 1096
Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Status: 
Offline
It has, and I hope you appreciate my honesty. I will return the favor as I understand. I’m not sure what I can add but I’m all fairness you are correct. Hopefully others will follow.



____________________
Takamine GN71CE Sunburst
Marlen Sd-10(Supposedly used on a Byrds recording)
Self teaching in progress
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 09:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 920
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
We have a topic about how to review songs.
I'll bring the topic to the top again.
The musical genre shouldn't matter. A song is a song.

- Sketch



____________________
Blue Collar Road Scholar

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522
Back To Top


 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 11:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
M.P. Dudash wrote:
It has, and I hope you appreciate my honesty. I will return the favor as I understand. I’m not sure what I can add but I’m all fairness you are correct. Hopefully others will follow.

Thank you MP. I do appreciate your honestly.
I hope so too.



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 11:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
We have a topic about how to review songs.
I'll bring the topic to the top again.
The musical genre shouldn't matter. A song is a song.

- Sketch


Thanks Sketch. And by the way, you are great with feedback.



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 12:15 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor


Joined: Mon Apr 24th, 2017
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 1096
Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Status: 
Offline
Sketch, don’t get me wrong, I agree a song is a song but I can certainly understand if people don’t want to read my woe is me, beer drinking, love songs. I’m ok with that.



____________________
Takamine GN71CE Sunburst
Marlen Sd-10(Supposedly used on a Byrds recording)
Self teaching in progress
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 12:24 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
M.P. Dudash wrote:
Sketch, don’t get me wrong, I agree a song is a song but I can certainly understand if people don’t want to read my woe is me, beer drinking, love songs. I’m ok with that.

Hey, I love your 'tears in my beers' old country style MP. lol



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 12:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 920
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
M.P. Dudash wrote: Sketch, don’t get me wrong, I agree a song is a song but I can certainly understand if people don’t want to read my woe is me, beer drinking, love songs. I’m ok with that.
That's fine.
Everyone has the right to choose what songs/songwriters they want to review.
But reviewing a song has little to do with whether you like the genre or not.
The questions are completely objective.

Sketch

- What was your overall impression?
- What was the best part?
- What needs improvement?
- Any specific suggestions?




____________________
Blue Collar Road Scholar

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 01:05 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor


Joined: Mon Apr 24th, 2017
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 1096
Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Status: 
Offline
Thanks Sam. Sketch, maybe genre isn’t the correct term. Maybe style is. Either way, activity at least where I hang out, is very limited. Less than 10 people are all that ever comment. I can think of 6 add in 2 occasionally. I’m guessing that is due to the lack of interest in the format. With the exceptions being you guys and Andrea. (The ones who post elsewhere) I’m guessing the fact that more genres are included in your posting areas may lead to more activity also. I will promise a one for one return going forward. I’m not sure the answer but I think somehow an improvement can be made that may lead to more feedback.

Last edited on Sun Feb 17th, 2019 01:16 am by M.P. Dudash



____________________
Takamine GN71CE Sunburst
Marlen Sd-10(Supposedly used on a Byrds recording)
Self teaching in progress
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 02:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
M.P. Dudash wrote:
I will promise a one for one return going forward. I’m not sure the answer but I think somehow an improvement can be made that may lead to more feedback.

Sounds good MP. I appreciate it.
I'm not even looking for detailed feedback. Although, that would be great too.
At this point I'll take: I liked it or I hated it. lol



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 04:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor


Joined: Mon Apr 24th, 2017
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 1096
Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Status: 
Offline
No problem Sam. And it won’t be that. No reason to be rude to those who enjoy the same passion as me. Not a like or hate kind of thing. I have respect for anyone willing to put themselves out there, as that’s the way I see it. I write from emotion and figure that most others do as well. That may be an assumption and we all know what they say about those that assume. Though I hope I wasn’t the only one that this may have been pointed at, I fear from the looks of it that I may be one of the few to realize my faults, or at least be willing to admit it.



____________________
Takamine GN71CE Sunburst
Marlen Sd-10(Supposedly used on a Byrds recording)
Self teaching in progress
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 12:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 920
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
We need to bear in mind that when we review a song,
we are evaluating the work, not the person.

- What was your overall impression? (of the work)
- What was the best part? (of the work)
- What needs improvement? (on the work)
- Any specific suggestions? (for the work)

And I understand that we tend to take criticism personally.
Probably because we put so much of ourselves into the work.

And it also takes guts to give someone a bad review when it is deserved.
But, if someone is singing out of tune, they need to be informed.
It would be dishonest to tell them they did a good job. (on the work)

Prior to trying my hand at songwriting and recording,
I had a career in the visual arts; I was also an college art teacher for nine years.
So, I came to grips with these things some 40+ years ago. (in school)

- Sketch



____________________
Blue Collar Road Scholar

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 04:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
We need to bear in mind that when we review a song,
we are evaluating the work, not the person.

- What was your overall impression? (of the work)
- What was the best part? (of the work)
- What needs improvement? (on the work)
- Any specific suggestions? (for the work)

And I understand that we tend to take criticism personally.
Probably because we put so much of ourselves into the work.

And it also takes guts to give someone a bad review when it is deserved.
But, if someone is singing out of tune, they need to be informed.
It would be dishonest to tell them they did a good job. (on the work)

Prior to trying my hand at songwriting and recording,
I had a career in the visual arts; I was also an college art teacher for nine years.
So, I came to grips with these things some 40+ years ago. (in school)

- Sketch



I tend to be more affirmative in my feedback. But I do try to be critical and find flaws.
For every negative I find in the song, I try to point out two positives. lol



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 07:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 920
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
samiamiamsam wrote: Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
We need to bear in mind that when we review a song,
we are evaluating the work, not the person.

- What was your overall impression? (of the work)
- What was the best part? (of the work)
- What needs improvement? (on the work)
- Any specific suggestions? (for the work)

And I understand that we tend to take criticism personally.
Probably because we put so much of ourselves into the work.

And it also takes guts to give someone a bad review when it is deserved.
But, if someone is singing out of tune, they need to be informed.
It would be dishonest to tell them they did a good job. (on the work)

Prior to trying my hand at songwriting and recording,
I had a career in the visual arts; I was also an college art teacher for nine years.
So, I came to grips with these things some 40+ years ago. (in school)

- Sketch



I tend to be more affirmative in my feedback. But I do try to be critical and find flaws.
For every negative I find in the song, I try to point out two positives. lol

We could probably do a good cop/bad cop routine.
You would obviously be the good cop. lol

- Sketch



____________________
Blue Collar Road Scholar

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522
Back To Top 


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 08:14 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
samiamiamsam
Member


Joined: Mon Jun 18th, 2018
Location: Charlotte , North Carolina USA
Posts: 741
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
samiamiamsam wrote: Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
We need to bear in mind that when we review a song,
we are evaluating the work, not the person.

- What was your overall impression? (of the work)
- What was the best part? (of the work)
- What needs improvement? (on the work)
- Any specific suggestions? (for the work)

And I understand that we tend to take criticism personally.
Probably because we put so much of ourselves into the work.

And it also takes guts to give someone a bad review when it is deserved.
But, if someone is singing out of tune, they need to be informed.
It would be dishonest to tell them they did a good job. (on the work)

Prior to trying my hand at songwriting and recording,
I had a career in the visual arts; I was also an college art teacher for nine years.
So, I came to grips with these things some 40+ years ago. (in school)

- Sketch



I tend to be more affirmative in my feedback. But I do try to be critical and find flaws.
For every negative I find in the song, I try to point out two positives. lol

We could probably do a good cop/bad cop routine.
You would obviously be the good cop. lol

- Sketch


That would be a great skit on SNL. lmao



____________________
Here is my YouTube and SoundCloud page with some of my original music.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Feb 17th, 2019 09:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Andrea
Contributor
 

Joined: Tue Nov 27th, 2018
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York USA
Posts: 842
Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Thanks Sam for bringing this up.
Thanks Sketch for reminding everyone how to leave feedback.

Songwriting is fun, and an important part of our personalities. Posting lyrics, or a completed song is half the battle. We are in this forum to offer and receive.

I worry sometimes others will not like my style of music, but always appreciate comments and feedback. I do not think a preference for a genre matters. I can truly appreciate good lyrics and music in a genre outside my own, and feel others can do the same. I can't say my feedback is always helpful, but I try. (M.P., you may own up to not doing as much as you should for others, but you are probably not the person(s) targeted here. Proof in that you read this thread -my opinion).

I really like this forum and the people I have come to know. I want it to be a strong forum. Let me know how I can help.

P.s. - I like the bad cop/good cop idea!



____________________
Andrea
Back To Top 


 Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2019 02:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Seamus
Contributor


Joined: Tue Jan 10th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 1354
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
I think that people might not like to say that they don't like something so they choose to say nothing at all.



____________________
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
Back To Top


Current time is 04:09 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

Top



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2241 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 36 queries executed.