The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Meet and greet
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 9th, 2019 04:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor

Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Having been on this forum for maybe 2 years now it seems as if I’ve come to know some of the other members. That being said, I think it would be cool if we weren’t all so far from one another and had the ability to meet up for a weekend and hear those that can actually play their music perform. Not sure if that would even be of interest to anyone but just like a song, it was a thought and I figured I would put it out there. In some ways this may be my response to the loss of an over 40 year music festival that was just lost in my area. Thanks live nation, you’ve managed to ruin yet another good thing with your greed and know better attitude. It was always fun meeting up with those we may have not seen in a year. That is what I could kind of picture for something like this becoming as well. I know it won’t happen, but thought it was an idea I’d float out there. Anyone else think this would be a fun idea? Kind of a workshop/co-write/mini concert get together/hangout.

Posted: Sat Feb 9th, 2019 10:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
It's a cool idea M.P, and something I would likely enjoy.
Getting together with other songwriters, jamming and making friends. What's not to like?

For it to happen, there needs to be enough people concentrated in a small enough geographical area to be viable. You're probably not going to come to Australia, and I certainly won't be going to the US, UK or other country any time soon. I think we have more people from the US than anywhere else, but of course it's a big country!

If you are willing to act as a coordinator then maybe see how many people are within 100 miles of you (or however far people are willing to go for a weekend). I don't think it's something I can help with much from here.

More broadly, if you want to get something going in your local community, an open mic style night isn't that hard to get going. It always starts with just one person who's got the energy to make it happen, then grows from there. Many bars etc are willing to give out a room for free for such things on the assumption that attendees are likely to want their wares. Some decent speakers, mics, stands and leads and you are pretty much there on a small scale. Put up some posters and see who turns up.

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2019 06:25 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Marty Ray Boone
Contributor

Favorite Artist: "Rev.Jimmy Swaggart" "Owen Hovenden" Kerry Boone
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
I sent a P.M. to someone here from just up the road in Charlotte N.C. and said we should get together for a meal to talk music, songwriting, etc. They never responded. So it is highly unlikely that this will ever happen! It is a shame! :Violin_Man:

Marty Ray Boone, now seeking God's will for my life and asking if I may serve him as a gospel bass singer and singer of harmonies in that form of music! I thank Holy God for my voice! Near perfect pitch as well, guidance for my fingers on that piano, AMEN

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2019 02:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor

Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Thanks for the replies. I believe you guys are correct. Probably never happen due to distance. I have yet to actually see anyone,active at least, be nearby me. I would be willing to travel 2-3 hours to attend something like this but then again the logistics of putting it together unless someone lives there would not be easy. I live in the “sticks” as most would call it and I’m guessing most on here are located nearer some bigger cities. My closest 2 are Pittsburgh PA or Columbus OH but I’ve yet to even see anyone from there even. Oh well, just wanted to see what people thought. Thanks

Last edited on Sun Feb 10th, 2019 02:36 pm by M.P. Dudash

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2019 05:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
samiamiamsam

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Would be great. There are a lot of people here that I would really like to meet.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2019 06:00 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Andrea
Contributor

Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
It would be great to meet with others in the forum.

Here are some great events near me (within 1-2 hours from my home). Let me know if you are interested!

Taste of Country festival: http://tasteofcountryfestival.com/lineup/

Mountain Jam at Bethal Woods: https://livemusicblog.com/news/mountain-jam-2019-lineup-new-location-bethel-woods/

Woodstock 50th Anniversary at Watkins Glen (more like 6 hours from me and Woodstock Golden Anniversary at Bethal Woods (under 2 hours from me):
https://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/the-museum/woodstock50anniversary

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2019 10:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
SongWriterJoe

Favorite Artist: Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, The Monkees, The Beatles, Santana, 3 ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Afraid most of us would only be "a couple of hours
away" by air* :P But yes, would be nice.

Last edited on Sun Feb 10th, 2019 10:20 pm by SongWriterJoe

Current time is 04:31 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1730 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 26 queries executed.