The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Social Responsibility of Songwritiers and Performers
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 24th, 2019 02:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Tekboy

Favorite Artist: James Taylor
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Good topic. I personally do not think of any of that stuff when writing a song. I just don't take myself that seriously any more. People write love songs out of whatever degree of connection they either have with someone, or wish they had with someone.
I write mostly about Love Gone Wrong. I am not responsible for what anyone thinks. People respond pretty well to the songs I write, and yesterday, a band in Alaska wanted to use one of my songs in a big outdoor festival. I told them I would really like to have a recording of their treatment of my song. But I never use "F-bombs" in my writing, I do have a song about drinking the memory of someone away.
I don't believe "one size fits all" here. But I try not to appeal to the lowest common denominator, balanced with the fact that I think a song should have some sort of "appeal".

Posted: Sun Jun 30th, 2019 07:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Motorist Sketchbook

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Tekboy wrote: Good topic. I personally do not think of any of that stuff when writing a song. I just don't take myself that seriously any more. People write love songs out of whatever degree of connection they either have with someone, or wish they had with someone.
I write mostly about Love Gone Wrong. I am not responsible for what anyone thinks. People respond pretty well to the songs I write, and yesterday, a band in Alaska wanted to use one of my songs in a big outdoor festival. I told them I would really like to have a recording of their treatment of my song. But I never use "F-bombs" in my writing, I do have a song about drinking the memory of someone away.
I don't believe "one size fits all" here. But I try not to appeal to the lowest common denominator, balanced with the fact that I think a song should have some sort of "appeal".

Thanks for your reply.

I recognize the lyric in your tagline from Deacon Blues/Aja/Steely Dan

I agree that when we are writing we just need to write. With little thought to what or why.
What we do with it after that is where the tug of social responsibility might strike.

Songwriting gives us a voice. What we do with that opportunity is on us.

Sketch

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522

Current time is 08:34 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1746 seconds (28% database + 72% PHP). 25 queries executed.