The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Songwriting Struggles?
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2018 03:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
jglasgow2156

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
How's it going today?

I was thinking today about some of the struggles that come along with songwriting. When you first dive into it, it can seem like something that is out of reach. You think 'Man, it would be so cool to be able to write a song and be able to say 'I wrote that!'' You don't know how to go about it though and realize how much you have to learn to become a GREAT songwriter.

My question to you is this: what have been some of your biggest struggles as a songwriter? These can be things like mental blocks, self-doubt, etc. It can also be more technical things like music theory topics, lyric writing, instrumentation, etc.

Thanks for your time!
-Jeremy

Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2018 09:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Marty Ray Boone
Contributor

Favorite Artist: "Rev.Jimmy Swaggart" "Owen Hovenden" Kerry Boone
As a Christian, writing is a breeze for me, as Holy God sends the words, most especially of gospel songs communicated by his Holy Spirit, every word to type here! In fact, it is my opinion that God, my heavenly Father, is actually the one writing all of my songs now! If you do not know my Christ Jesus, Savior of the World, I invite you to ask him into your heart today, to give perfect peace, joy will never cease, you shall the life crown win! These are some of the words to my favorite gospel song I have sung and played in my local church. God loves the World and is always reaching out to save all of it! Peace :D

Marty Ray Boone, now seeking God's will for my life and asking if I may serve him as a gospel bass singer and singer of harmonies in that form of music! I thank Holy God for my voice! Near perfect pitch as well, guidance for my fingers on that piano, AMEN

Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2018 10:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Well, one of the problems I've had is just being mentally stuck and not writing anything - sometimes for years at a time. No doubt I would have made more progress without that!

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2018 01:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
samiamiamsam

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Leadbelly, Nirvana, REM, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson
Sometime it takes a while. It's different for every song I think. I've worked on songs for years trying to perfect them. My biggest struggle sometimes is just putting the finishing touch on a song. But I try to never get in a hurry. Don't give up buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/odomodometer
https://soundcloud.com/user-71329120

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2018 12:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Marty Ray Boone
Contributor

Favorite Artist: "Rev.Jimmy Swaggart" "Owen Hovenden" Kerry Boone
I am so pleased that my brother in music, Owen, has had his quiver full of songs in this year of 2018! The lyrics and music fit together like a hand in a glove. :cool:

Marty Ray Boone, now seeking God's will for my life and asking if I may serve him as a gospel bass singer and singer of harmonies in that form of music! I thank Holy God for my voice! Near perfect pitch as well, guidance for my fingers on that piano, AMEN

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2018 08:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
M.P. Dudash
Contributor

Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
As for most of us I'd just say the block and wondering if it will pass. I tend to try to write almost daily or at least jot down ideas or even single lines. Anyone can write a song, but in my opinion before I can call myself a songwriter I would have to have something recorded on a professional level.

Posted: Wed Nov 28th, 2018 06:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Andrea
Contributor

Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
Since I do not have a music background I always question if my writing is technically inferior, or is simply improper. So, I write as I like (verses and choruses). I definitely struggle more with the chorus parts which maybe should be a starting point? Hoping practice makes perfect, so I keep trying.

Posted: Wed Nov 28th, 2018 08:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Well the good news, Andrea, is that there is no "technically correct' way to write a song :)

You can start with the chorus, a verse, a melody, a title, a hook or an idea - whatever works for you. And if you talk with people here you will find examples of all of those!

A musical background is helpful in that it gives you more tools to work with. But you can use whatever tools are at your disposal and still craft a beautiful song.

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2018 08:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Andrea
Contributor

Thanks - that is good news to me. Belonging to this forum helps too. Somethings will always come harder, but hopefully with practice they will become easier.

Posted: Thu Feb 14th, 2019 11:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Kel

Favorite Artist: George Strait, Lee Kernaghan, Troy Cassar Daley, Adam Harvey
I've felt my songwriting has been restricted by the lack of skill I have with my guitar and piano, and the lack of quality in my voice.

I recognise these restrictions as it's hard to "noodle" when I'm not good enough technically to do so, and a lot of ideas and inspirations come that way, I'm told.

I have also struggled with melody because I am not a good enough singer in my opinion.

However, I decided one day to NOT let these issues restrict me. While I don't have a good singing voice or a wide range, I have learned that a lot of pro singers don't have that much more of a range than I do. Of course there are exceptions (Daryl Braithewait!) I took singing lessons, purely to learn how to breath properly and how to practice, and since then though my voice still lacks quality, my range has expanded and I actually hit the note intended now and then!

The main point though, was making a concious decision to not allow my lack of technical perfomance ability to affect my creativity. I simply leave the performing to the performers!

Of course now we just need to get the performers to stop writing their own material!

Cheers,
Kel

Posted: Fri Feb 15th, 2019 12:02 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Motorist Sketchbook

Favorite Artist: 
Kel wrote: I've felt my songwriting has been restricted by the lack of skill I have with my guitar and piano, and the lack of quality in my voice.

I recognise these restrictions as it's hard to "noodle" when I'm not good enough technically to do so, and a lot of ideas and inspirations come that way, I'm told.

I have also struggled with melody because I am not a good enough singer in my opinion.

However, I decided one day to NOT let these issues restrict me. While I don't have a good singing voice or a wide range, I have learned that a lot of pro singers don't have that much more of a range than I do. Of course there are exceptions (Daryl Braithewait!) I took singing lessons, purely to learn how to breath properly and how to practice, and since then though my voice still lacks quality, my range has expanded and I actually hit the note intended now and then!

The main point though, was making a concious decision to not allow my lack of technical perfomance ability to affect my creativity. I simply leave the performing to the performers!

Of course now we just need to get the performers to stop writing their own material!

Cheers,
Kel

I think it helps to only be in competition with yourself.
My goal is to do better than what I have done previously with every song.
To continue to improve one step at a time.

You got it right when you wrote: "I simply leave the performing to the performers!"

Be yourself. Be the best "you" that you can be.
Let your unique voice be heard. You have a perspective that no one else has.

- Sketch

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 04:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
brum h songwriter

Favorite Artist: 
My current struggles are very different than the ones I used to have. Before it was thinking of new song subjects, or making lines flow well. Now it's having the time to get out all the songs I have ideas for! How times change.

Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2019 08:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Well that's a better problem to have Brum!
I'll take that one every time :)

Posted: Sat Jun 8th, 2019 12:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Tekboy

Favorite Artist: James Taylor
Glad to know I am not the only one who encounters self-doubt sometimes! A long-range point of view is quite useful in these situations, I believe. At least, it certainly helps me through the dry times.

Posted: Thu Jun 20th, 2019 09:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
mike67

Favorite Artist: Various
Every time I write a lyric I think it's going to my my last, and that's been the case for the past 10 years. I probably write one decent lyric a month, but they can come in quick succession, leaving me with weeks of nothingness. That can be stressful.

I'm luck enough to have a writing partner, who's great on melodies, as who's a talented musician and singer. I remember before that, how frustrated I was not being able to realise the music that was in my head. The first time I heard one of my compositions played the way I imagined the song sounding was magical. A special moment. But one day, the partnership will end, and that will be that. That can be stressful too.

Posted: Thu Jun 20th, 2019 11:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Kellyanneg

Favorite Artist: 
I struggled for a long time trying to learn how to use several DAWs up until very recently.I know nothing about the technical side of things, and found that it was causing negativity and taking away from writing. I let it go, and am putting all my energy back into writing. I want to develop what I CAN do, and I feel much more motivated and creative again, and I love that feeling.

Posted: Tue Jun 25th, 2019 09:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
OscoBosco

Favorite Artist: 
I think self doubt is the biggest problem in song writing. You have to believe in yourself! Good luck!

Posted: Sat Jun 29th, 2019 11:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
JayKay

Favorite Artist: 
My struggles right now with songwriting is the lyrical part. Coming up with interesting topics - There are times when I am just totally dry on ideas. I have more ideas for melodies than lyrics.

Jane
https://soundcloud.com/user-296863402

Posted: Sun Jun 30th, 2019 12:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Andrea
Contributor

JayKay wrote:
My struggles right now with songwriting is the lyrical part. Coming up with interesting topics - There are times when I am just totally dry on ideas. I have more ideas for melodies than lyrics.

JayKay, if you write music, there are plenty of people here that might be interested in working with you. Even making melodies for lyrics is something people need. This is a great collaboration skill. Consider using it :)

Posted: Sun Jun 30th, 2019 03:28 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
JayKay

Favorite Artist: 
That sounds great that there are people here who write lyrics because I do enjoy the challenge of constructing a song, especially when the lyrics are good.

Jane
https://soundcloud.com/user-296863402

Current time is 11:54 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2295 seconds (21% database + 79% PHP). 30 queries executed.