The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Do you feel protective of your songs?
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2018 02:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
highvibrational

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald, Sam Cooke, James Taylor, John Lennon
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
I'm a beginning singer/songwriter and shared 1/2 of my best song on Facebook a few days ago. An acquaintance wants to sing it at home and wants to know what the full song sounds like. Though I don't really know this person, I feel this is harmless, yet, I felt a little protective of it, like it's just a newborn and I want to give it some time before I send it out into the world. Do you have similar feelings? Also, is posting it on SoundCloud with "copyright 2018" enough to claim ownership?

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2018 11:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
It's nice that someone likes your song and wants to sing it at home! There's a compliment right there!

For me, once I feel like the song is complete, I am happy to post and share it. If I feel like it is still evolving then I will likely hold off, or I may post it here for feedback but not on a more general site like Facebook etc.

The issues re copyright come down to proof. It's unlikely that you will ever need to go to court to defend against copyright infringement, but should it become necessary, what proof can you offer that you wrote the song and at what date? Posting on Soundcloud, Facebook etc is evidence and carries a date, so that is helpful. Over time there is a chance that any given site may close, so relying on a single website may not be ideal. There are other ways if you care to, such as registering your song with your performing rights association, having someone witness a written copy, (particularly a lawyer or justice of the peace) or sending them via registered mail and keeping them unopened afterwards but these will need effort and in some cases money to achieve. If your intention is to write commercially you may need to give this more thought, if you write for pleasure, then personally I wouldn't overthink it.

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 06:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
highvibrational

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald, Sam Cooke, James Taylor, John Lennon
Thank you very much!

Posted: Mon Jun 17th, 2019 08:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Tekboy

Favorite Artist: James Taylor
RainyDayMan wrote: It's nice that someone likes your song and wants to sing it at home! There's a compliment right there!

For me, once I feel like the song is complete, I am happy to post and share it. If I feel like it is still evolving then I will likely hold off, or I may post it here for feedback but not on a more general site like Facebook etc.

The issues re copyright come down to proof. It's unlikely that you will ever need to go to court to defend against copyright infringement, but should it become necessary, what proof can you offer that you wrote the song and at what date? Posting on Soundcloud, Facebook etc is evidence and carries a date, so that is helpful. Over time there is a chance that any given site may close, so relying on a single website may not be ideal. There are other ways if you care to, such as registering your song with your performing rights association, having someone witness a written copy, (particularly a lawyer or justice of the peace) or sending them via registered mail and keeping them unopened afterwards but these will need effort and in some cases money to achieve. If your intention is to write commercially you may need to give this more thought, if you write for pleasure, then personally I wouldn't overthink it.This exactly how I feel about this. It costs absolutely no money these days to copyright and license your songs. If you have a good one, do what is stated in the quote, and have at it. If someone hits with it, it is payday for sure. If not, people will enjoy the song anyway, which is what music is really about.

Posted: Sun Jul 21st, 2019 03:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
Tekboy wrote:
RainyDayMan wrote: It's nice that someone likes your song and wants to sing it at home! There's a compliment right there!

I have to agree with RD Man. I would take it as a big compliment if someone wanted to do a cover of one of my tunes. I would just hope that it would be a better version than the original.

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Posted: Thu Jul 25th, 2019 05:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
cmaja

Favorite Artist: The Eagles, Lyle Lovett, Billie Holiday, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Hey Highvibrational,
I know the feeling of letting go of something that’s from the inner depth of your soul. I had that feeling when I sent my first lyric to a composer in NY. I felt a little violated. But like Adele says:

Deep down I must have always known
That this would be inevitable
To earn my stripes I'd have to pay
And bear my soul

And that’s what an artist is doing if he/she is creating something that’s worth being experienced, or at least heard, by others. It’s personal, intimately personal. And it should be.

Charles

Last edited on Sat Jul 27th, 2019 11:12 pm by cmaja

Posted: Sat Aug 10th, 2019 04:22 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
PatrickLockwood

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
highvibrational wrote:
I'm a beginning singer/songwriter and shared 1/2 of my best song on Facebook a few days ago. An acquaintance wants to sing it at home and wants to know what the full song sounds like. Though I don't really know this person, I feel this is harmless, yet, I felt a little protective of it, like it's just a newborn and I want to give it some time before I send it out into the world. Do you have similar feelings? Also, is posting it on SoundCloud with "copyright 2018" enough to claim ownership?

I feel just like a mother does to her children.

Posted: Sat Aug 10th, 2019 12:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
moptop

Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
PatrickLockwood wrote:

I feel just like a mother does to her children.

I get that but just think what the world of music would be like today if The Beatles thought the same way and kept all their music to themselves? Music is kind of like love, it doesn't grow and make others happy if it's not shared!...at least in my opinion.:Angel:

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890

Current time is 10:44 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1805 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 31 queries executed.