The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Do you feel protective of your songs?
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2018 01:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
highvibrational
Member
 

Joined: Fri Aug 3rd, 2018
Location: New York, New York USA
Posts: 126
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald, Sam Cooke, James Taylor, John Lennon
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I'm a beginning singer/songwriter and shared 1/2 of my best song on Facebook a few days ago. An acquaintance wants to sing it at home and wants to know what the full song sounds like. Though I don't really know this person, I feel this is harmless, yet, I felt a little protective of it, like it's just a newborn and I want to give it some time before I send it out into the world. Do you have similar feelings? Also, is posting it on SoundCloud with "copyright 2018" enough to claim ownership?



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/user-426295887
https://www.youtube.com/user/revelrove

Back To Top 


 Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2018 10:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6134
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
It's nice that someone likes your song and wants to sing it at home! There's a compliment right there!

For me, once I feel like the song is complete, I am happy to post and share it. If I feel like it is still evolving then I will likely hold off, or I may post it here for feedback but not on a more general site like Facebook etc.

The issues re copyright come down to proof. It's unlikely that you will ever need to go to court to defend against copyright infringement, but should it become necessary, what proof can you offer that you wrote the song and at what date? Posting on Soundcloud, Facebook etc is evidence and carries a date, so that is helpful. Over time there is a chance that any given site may close, so relying on a single website may not be ideal. There are other ways if you care to, such as registering your song with your performing rights association, having someone witness a written copy, (particularly a lawyer or justice of the peace) or sending them via registered mail and keeping them unopened afterwards but these will need effort and in some cases money to achieve. If your intention is to write commercially you may need to give this more thought, if you write for pleasure, then personally I wouldn't overthink it.



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/RainyDayMan/tracks
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=708281
Back To Top


 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 05:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
highvibrational
Member
 

Joined: Fri Aug 3rd, 2018
Location: New York, New York USA
Posts: 126
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald, Sam Cooke, James Taylor, John Lennon
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Thank you very much!



____________________
https://soundcloud.com/user-426295887
https://www.youtube.com/user/revelrove

Back To Top 


 Posted: Mon Jun 17th, 2019 07:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Tekboy
Member


Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: Leesburg, Florida USA
Posts: 243
Favorite Artist: James Taylor
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
RainyDayMan wrote: It's nice that someone likes your song and wants to sing it at home! There's a compliment right there!

For me, once I feel like the song is complete, I am happy to post and share it. If I feel like it is still evolving then I will likely hold off, or I may post it here for feedback but not on a more general site like Facebook etc.

The issues re copyright come down to proof. It's unlikely that you will ever need to go to court to defend against copyright infringement, but should it become necessary, what proof can you offer that you wrote the song and at what date? Posting on Soundcloud, Facebook etc is evidence and carries a date, so that is helpful. Over time there is a chance that any given site may close, so relying on a single website may not be ideal. There are other ways if you care to, such as registering your song with your performing rights association, having someone witness a written copy, (particularly a lawyer or justice of the peace) or sending them via registered mail and keeping them unopened afterwards but these will need effort and in some cases money to achieve. If your intention is to write commercially you may need to give this more thought, if you write for pleasure, then personally I wouldn't overthink it.This exactly how I feel about this. It costs absolutely no money these days to copyright and license your songs. If you have a good one, do what is stated in the quote, and have at it. If someone hits with it, it is payday for sure. If not, people will enjoy the song anyway, which is what music is really about.



____________________
"I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play it wrong".
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Jul 21st, 2019 02:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
moptop
Member


Joined: Mon Jul 8th, 2019
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 366
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Tekboy wrote:
RainyDayMan wrote: It's nice that someone likes your song and wants to sing it at home! There's a compliment right there!

I have to agree with RD Man. I would take it as a big compliment if someone wanted to do a cover of one of my tunes. I would just hope that it would be a better version than the original.



____________________
Take Care, Moptop!

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890
Back To Top 


 Posted: Thu Jul 25th, 2019 04:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
cmaja
Member


Joined: Fri Mar 22nd, 2019
Location: Kennewick, Washington USA
Posts: 825
Favorite Artist: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Lyle Lovett, Billie Holiday, Metallica, Steely Dan
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Hey Highvibrational,
I know the feeling of letting go of something that’s from the inner depth of your soul. I had that feeling when I sent my first lyric to a composer in NY. I felt a little violated. But like Adele says:

Deep down I must have always known
That this would be inevitable
To earn my stripes I'd have to pay
And bear my soul

And that’s what an artist is doing if he/she is creating something that’s worth being experienced, or at least heard, by others. It’s personal, intimately personal. And it should be.

Charles

Last edited on Sat Jul 27th, 2019 10:12 pm by cmaja



____________________
All songs are from God. Those that are not, aren’t songs at all.
Back To Top


 Posted: Sat Aug 10th, 2019 03:22 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
PatrickLockwood
Member
 

Joined: Wed Feb 28th, 2018
Location:  
Posts: 35
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
highvibrational wrote:
I'm a beginning singer/songwriter and shared 1/2 of my best song on Facebook a few days ago. An acquaintance wants to sing it at home and wants to know what the full song sounds like. Though I don't really know this person, I feel this is harmless, yet, I felt a little protective of it, like it's just a newborn and I want to give it some time before I send it out into the world. Do you have similar feelings? Also, is posting it on SoundCloud with "copyright 2018" enough to claim ownership?


I feel just like a mother does to her children.

Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Aug 10th, 2019 11:44 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
moptop
Member


Joined: Mon Jul 8th, 2019
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 366
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
PatrickLockwood wrote:


I feel just like a mother does to her children.



I get that but just think what the world of music would be like today if The Beatles thought the same way and kept all their music to themselves? Music is kind of like love, it doesn't grow and make others happy if it's not shared!...at least in my opinion.:Angel:



____________________
Take Care, Moptop!

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890
Back To Top


 Posted: Sat Feb 15th, 2020 01:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
RainbowKeeper
Contributor


Joined: Fri Feb 14th, 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 309
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
To write a song, even only the lyrics with the music in my head, is like giving birth to me. And sharing it depends on how this happened. If it just came out it’s somehow more easy to post it at my artist profile on FB (only special friends can see it there). If it was a tough birth I somehow hold back and it takes a whole while before I show what came out of it. But yeah, as I said, if I post it on my FB it’s for special friends only! Ppl that may give me some feedback, even if it doesn’t happen often. But till now it was my only way to show it. Now that I’m here I’m still kinda afraid of posting my stuff because for me, they come from deep within. As you see I can relate to the „(over-)protective“ part and if a person would like to sing one of my songs I d have to meet him in person and have a convo with him/her. A request via Internet and Chat would not be nuff for me!



____________________
Hey y’all !
Im new here and tryin to figure out how this forum works!
Interested in convos about good music and specially about songwriting, lyrics and ideas. All my stuff is protected! copyright by FabIan Peters

Back To Top 


 Posted: Sat Feb 15th, 2020 03:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
moptop
Member


Joined: Mon Jul 8th, 2019
Location: Missouri USA
Posts: 366
Favorite Artist: Beatles, Alan Parsons, Archies, Benny Goodman, anything else good! 60's ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
One's inner most feelings are often very hard to express to others. Even just putting them into words can seem like a monumental task. Music can be a wonderful therapy when used to express internal struggles or pain. Yes songs or lyrics written from the "soul" are very personal and allowing anyone to hear or read them is essentially the same as having a conversion with a person and telling them your feelings. If one is not ready to have that "discussion " with anyone the yes, it is better to keep them in that safe personal place until you are ready. It can be pretty scary to "expose" your inner self to the world and open yourself up to criticism.

I too have songs that I have written about inner thoughts and feelings but I do it such a vague way that the listener is unknowing who the song is actually about and can't say "that's about you isn't it?". Maybe, rather than writing about a personal issue, choose a subject matter that is not related to you at all, like the neighbors cat, or that cool car you saw, or that nice shop you like to visit, or even just a walk in the park can provide you with unlimited inspiration for lyrics, Then perhaps you could show your work to others and allow the world to appreciate your work.

Last edited on Sat Feb 15th, 2020 03:53 pm by moptop



____________________
Take Care, Moptop!

https://soundcloud.com/user-296202890
Back To Top


 Posted: Sun Feb 16th, 2020 02:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
SongWriterJoe
Member


Joined: Thu Mar 22nd, 2018
Location: Eugene, Oregon USA
Posts: 261
Favorite Artist: Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, The Monkees, The Beatles, Santana, 3 ...
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
It's a shame the world we live in elicits so much paranoia and distrust. Some of it is justified, however. I'm still looking for a good composer/ co-writer to make my lyrics "sing", btw. Pun intended.[/] 👀 🔊📻🎸



____________________
"I'm not sure if my heart is in my music - or my music is in my heart!"
Back To Top 


Current time is 03:19 pm

Top



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1827 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 31 queries executed.