The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank  
AuthorPost
Janke
Contributor


Joined: Fri Jul 9th, 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, USA
Posts: 1119
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I'm adding this for interest, but especially for Marty Ray Boone, as he suggested I try and write something along these lines (I've based this on Zechariah chapter 13).

I chose not to sing it myself, and at this time, my only VST choir capability is an ooh or an ah (so you'll have to apply the lyrics to the melody yourself!).  I'm investigating choir options that include a word building feature, so I hope to have things like this more complete in future.

https://soundcloud.com/user-728638741/in-the-house-of-my-friends

In The House Of My Friends

When Messiah has come to the children of Jacob
Many voices will sing heaven's praise
When He enters the gate, He will wander among them
And there will be one who will say,
'O what are these wounds, these wounds in your feet?
My Lord tell us where, tell us when!'
And then He will say, 'These are the wounds
I received in the house of my friends'

When Messiah has come, they will look on His face
In the glorious light of the day
When He stands in their midst, they will gather around Him
And there will be one who will say,
'O what are these wounds, these wounds in your hands?
My Lord tell us where, tell us when!'
And then He will say, 'These are the wounds
I received in the house of my friends.'

Last edited on Wed Apr 25th, 2018 03:13 pm by Janke

Marty Ray Boone
Contributor


Joined: Mon Oct 24th, 2011
Location: Fort Mill, South Carolina USA
Posts: 874
Favorite Artist: "Rev.Jimmy Swaggart" "Owen Hovenden" Kerry Boone
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
This is good Janke. I like it. :)

Dogmax
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: 
Status: 
Offline
Hey is this Wyatt, hey Mate good to hear from you, lyrics reads like you got a sweating out conversation waiting to happen, like it interesting :cool:

M.P. Dudash
Contributor


Joined: Mon Apr 24th, 2017
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 1176
Favorite Artist: George Jones, Coe, Twitty, Paycheck, Gosdin, Daryle Singletary
I am a: Other
Status: 
Offline
Nice lyric!

Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 1044
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Thanks for sharing this.
I like both the lyrics and the musical accompanyment.

I have a question about connecting "the house of my friends"
with the coming of the Messiah.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there is an
important observation that needs to be considered
before you take this work any further.

Sorry. This is a long post.

I read the text in Zechariah 13.
The "the house of my friends" part seems to relate to
the first half of the chapter, not to the second half.
A debatable question, of course.

When reading this, I connect verse 6 with verses 4-6.
And verse 7 to the end of the chapter is a separate thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zechariah 13:4-6
“On that day every prophet will be ashamed of
their prophetic vision. They will not put on a
prophet’s garment of hair in order to deceive.
5 Each will say, ‘I am not a prophet. I am a farmer;
the land has been my livelihood since my youth.’
6 If someone asks, ‘What are these wounds on your body?’
they will answer, ‘The wounds I was given at the house of my friends.’
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In this context, the statement "The wounds I was given
at the house of my friends", is a lie told by the false prophets
of that day. This is clarified in verses 2-3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zechariah 13:2-3
“On that day, I will banish the names of the idols
from the land, and they will be remembered no more,”
declares the Lord Almighty. “I will remove both the
prophets and the spirit of impurity from the land.
3 And if anyone still prophesies, their father and mother,
to whom they were born, will say to them, ‘You must die,
because you have told lies in the Lord’s name.’ Then their
own parents will stab the one who prophesies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Therefore, the wounds were actually from the parents.
The false prophets claimed they were made by friends.
That's how I read this, anyway. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also consider what can happen when scripture is used out-of-context.
Does anyone remember the book titled The Harbinger, written by Jonathan Cahn?

After the attacks on the WTC happened on 9/11,
Someone in the American government quoted this verse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Isaiah 9:10
“The bricks have fallen down,
but we will rebuild with dressed stone;
the fig trees have been felled,
but we will replace them with cedars.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Americans rallied around the "rebuild" theme.
However, Rabbi Jonathan Cahn pointed to the context which read:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Isaiah 9:9-10
All the people will know it—
Ephraim and the inhabitants of Samaria—
who say with pride
and arrogance of heart,
10
“The bricks have fallen down,
but we will rebuild with dressed stone;
the fig trees have been felled,
but we will replace them with cedars.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Therefore, the "rebuild" statement in Isaiah 9:10 was
a statement of pride and arrogance against God.

Read The Harbinger to understand the depth to which
America carried out this arrogant boast.

The point is, someone besides me will realize the
contextual issue with this song. If you continue with this work
you may have to address the problem later.

Again, sorry to rain on your parade. But I would
rather have you consider the issue now rather than
after you have put tons more work into this.

- Steve

Janke
Contributor


Joined: Fri Jul 9th, 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, USA
Posts: 1119
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Steve -

This is a very thoughtful and studied response.  Thanks!  Allow me to collect my thoughts and do a little digging before I answer you in earnest.  But off the top of my head, let me just say that, regarding your afterthought, I don't think it's fair of you to compare what I'm doing here in this song lyric to a 9/11 misappropriation of scripture.  That's a wide gap you're bridging between the two!  Even if not based specifically on Zechariah's prophecy, our Lord did most certainly receive His wounds in the house of his friends.  Then again, I'll look into this good and hard and if, as you say, I have misunderstood and misrepresented the prophecy, I'll trash the piece. 


Marty Ray Boone
Contributor


Joined: Mon Oct 24th, 2011
Location: Fort Mill, South Carolina USA
Posts: 874
Favorite Artist: "Rev.Jimmy Swaggart" "Owen Hovenden" Kerry Boone
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Hi Janke, my thoughts about when Jews accept Christ as Messiah are based on scripture in Revelation, as the anti-christ turns against the Jews half way into the tribulation period. After 3 and a half years, when he turns against them, they clearly see Christ Jesus is truly their Messiah.

Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 1044
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Janke wrote: Steve -

This is a very thoughtful and studied response.  Thanks!  Allow me to collect my thoughts and do a little digging before I answer you in earnest.  But off the top of my head, let me just say that, regarding your afterthought, I don't think it's fair of you to compare what I'm doing here in this song lyric to a 9/11 misappropriation of scripture.  That's a wide gap you're bridging between the two!  Even if not based specifically on Zechariah's prophecy, our Lord did most certainly receive His wounds in the house of his friends.  Then again, I'll look into this good and hard and if, as you say, I have misunderstood and misrepresented the prophecy, I'll trash the piece. 


My apologies.
I was not intending to compare what you were doing with the misappropriation
of scripture after 9/11. I was illustrating what can happen when someone discovers
a quote that doesn't fit the context. In fact, what happened with the 9/11
scripture could have been done unintentionally. Not sure.

And I'm not suggesting that you scrap the project either.
I like the general concept. But something jumped out at me as not being quite right.
When I looked at the context I saw it immediately.

I hope that helps.
The last thing I want is to discourage you from your fine work.

- Steve  

Janke
Contributor


Joined: Fri Jul 9th, 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, USA
Posts: 1119
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Steve - thanks again.  I really enjoy this kind of dialogue about gospel music, as I've come to approach the writing of hymn lyrics with some trepidation! 

I took your comments to heart and had a look again at Zechariah (and checked a study I'm fond of as well).  While I see where you're coming from in your understanding of the passage, I'm confident in how it's represented in my hymn.  I believe the verse regarding the wounded man in chapter 13 ties in with the verse in the previous chapter (Zechariah 12.10).  Regarding the father, mother, and son, I believe that is an illustration of how completely all idolatry, prophecy, and demonic influence will be purged from Israel at the time of Christ's return.  The thrusting through of the son is not to wound him, but to kill him.  I believe the wounds in 13.6 are a separate thought (again, tying to the passage in chapter 12).  These are wounds to his hands (and not the thrusting through of a disobedient son).  When the Lord returns, the veil will be lifted when God pours out His Spirit on the nation, and they will see Him (whom they have pierced) and know Him as the same Jesus whom they had crucified.

That's my understanding.  Whether you're persuaded or not :), I'm grateful for your compliments regarding my work and that you took the time to listen and comment.

Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 1044
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Thanks for the thoughtful follow-up.
You are well-prepared to answer any further objections.

Best regards,

- Steve

Janke
Contributor


Joined: Fri Jul 9th, 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, USA
Posts: 1119
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Marty Ray Boone wrote: Hi Janke, my thoughts about when Jews accept Christ as Messiah are based on scripture in Revelation, as the anti-christ turns against the Jews half way into the tribulation period. After 3 and a half years, when he turns against them, they clearly see Christ Jesus is truly their Messiah.
Marty Ray -

I'm with you up to a point.  I don't think they'll connect Jesus with the Messiah until He returns in the flesh, preceded by the most terrible 3 1/2 years in all of history.

Dogmax
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: 
Status: 
Offline
Janke wrote:
I'm adding this for interest, but especially for Marty Ray Boone, as he suggested I try and write something along these lines (I've based this on Zechariah chapter 13).

I chose not to sing it myself, and at this time, my only VST choir capability is an ooh or an ah (so you'll have to apply the lyrics to the melody yourself!).  I'm investigating choir options that include a word building feature, so I hope to have things like this more complete in future.

https://soundcloud.com/user-728638741/in-the-house-of-my-friends

In The House Of My Friends

When Messiah has come to the children of Jacob
Many voices will sing heaven's praise
When He enters the gate, He will wander among them
And there will be one who will say,
'O what are these wounds, these wounds in your feet?
My Lord tell us where, tell us when!'
And then He will say, 'These are the wounds
I received in the house of my friends'

When Messiah has come, they will look on His face
In the glorious light of the day
When He stands in their midst, they will gather around Him
And there will be one who will say,
'O what are these wounds, these wounds in your hands?
My Lord tell us where, tell us when!'
And then He will say, 'These are the wounds
I received in the house of my friends.'



This has always been an interesting subject of conversations, first of all the line 'These are the wounds I received in the house of my friends.'

Have to ask man is this a one sided tune :cool:

Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 1044
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
What do you mean when you say "one sided"?

- Steve

PS - Who's "side" are you on? LOL

Dogmax
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: 
Status: 
Offline
Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
What do you mean when you say "one sided"?

- Steve

PS - Who's "side" are you on? LOL


Ah *** man it's either one side or the other LOL :cool:

I'm busy with other things at the moment but what do you hear, music sounds one sided to me lyrics too, even the flow.

Motorist Sketchbook
Member


Joined: Sat Apr 28th, 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Posts: 1044
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Dogmax wrote: Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
What do you mean when you say "one sided"?

- Steve

PS - Who's "side" are you on? LOL


Ah *** man it's either one side or the other LOL :cool:

I'm busy with other things at the moment but what do you hear, music sounds one sided to me lyrics too, even the flow.

What were you expecting?
"We are the world" ???
(it's a gospel tune - how many sides is that?) 

- Steve

PS - If that's what you meant by "one sided". ???


Dogmax
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: 
Status: 
Offline
Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
Dogmax wrote: Motorist Sketchbook wrote:
What do you mean when you say "one sided"?

- Steve

PS - Who's "side" are you on? LOL


Ah *** man it's either one side or the other LOL :cool:

I'm busy with other things at the moment but what do you hear, music sounds one sided to me lyrics too, even the flow.

What were you expecting?
"We are the world" ???
(it's a gospel tune - how many sides is that?) 

- Steve

PS - If that's what you meant by "one sided". ???




Na I wasn't expecting that like you, we wake up in reality

Marty Ray Boone
Contributor


Joined: Mon Oct 24th, 2011
Location: Fort Mill, South Carolina USA
Posts: 874
Favorite Artist: "Rev.Jimmy Swaggart" "Owen Hovenden" Kerry Boone
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
I like Janke! :)

Andrea
Contributor
 

Joined: Tue Nov 27th, 2018
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York USA
Posts: 1153
Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I am a: Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
I am not going to debate scripture, because I can not. Without a deeper knowledge I read "These are the wounds
I received in the house of my friends" as the wounds Jesus received during crucifixion, which I think fits.


I like it a lot.

Janke
Contributor


Joined: Fri Jul 9th, 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, USA
Posts: 1119
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Yes. Thanks, Andrea!

Janke
Contributor


Joined: Fri Jul 9th, 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, USA
Posts: 1119
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
https://soundcloud.com/user-728638741/2-premast-5-4-house-of-my

This is where I'm at with this song now. I appreciated the previous comments. I'm hoping you all can look and listen to how the piece is put together, what you think of the structure, sound, mix, etc. Of course, if you wish to comment about what the lyrics are saying, that's ok, too.

jamestoffee
Member


Joined: Thu Apr 25th, 2019
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 312
Favorite Artist: Sting, JohnMayer, SarahMcL,Yes, Beatles, CaitlinRose, Lush, SufjanStevens
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Status: 
Offline
Nice sound. Reminds me of Michael Card.

"My Lord tell us where, tell us when!'"

This line is a bit off b/c "when" is not answered....

....maybe something more like these...


My Lord tell us where, tell us where you have been!

or

My Lord tell us why and where you have been!

or

Please tell us, Lord, tell us where you have been!


Thanks for sharing.

Janke
Contributor


Joined: Fri Jul 9th, 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, USA
Posts: 1119
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
James - thanks for listening and for the thoughtful comment!

RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator


Joined: Thu May 17th, 2007
Location: Stratford, Australia
Posts: 6040
Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
It's beautiful Janke!

Janke
Contributor


Joined: Fri Jul 9th, 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, USA
Posts: 1119
Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
Status: 
Offline
Much appreciated, Owen!


UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2030 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 41 queries executed.