The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

How to give feedback on other people's songs
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2017 12:18 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Favorite Artist: James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell
I am a: Songwriter/Musician
I think many people struggle with the idea of giving comments or feedback on other people's songs. So here's some suggestions.

The first thought is "Well who am I to comment? I'm still trying to work it out myself!". And I feel that way sometimes too!

But we all have an opinion, and we all see things slightly differently. Having multiple points of view can really help. Different people notice different things.

I remember a song where the same phrase was highlighted as the best and worst bit of the lyric! And that helped, because it made me realise I wasn't going to please everyone no matter what and I had to trust my own judgement on that one.

The fact is that we are all still learning, but we all have something to offer as well as something to share. If we don't comment, who will?

The next thought is probably "I don't know what to say"
Personally, I value any comment because it showed that someone listened to my song and cared enough to post a comment.

Analysis is hard. Practice makes a big difference, but the real reason to do it is selfish. Working out why a song works or doesnt work will help you improve your own songwriting. You can do it with hit songs, and you can do it with the songs posted here.

Think first about whether you liked the song or not. This is useful feedback just by itself.

Next step is to see if you can spot where in the song you started to like or dislike it. Even if you cant say why you're helping substantially now. If we only keep the best bits and throw away the worst, after re-writing a couple of times we will have a much better song.

If there is a recording, listen to it then think "What do i remember most about that song?". Was there a particular line you remember? Was there a riff that really caught your ear? Not remembering anything is also important, and may indicate a need for a hook or for some other change in the song.

If it is a lyric only, read it out loud. Do you find yourself falling into a rhythm or pattern? That's good feedback because it should make it much easier to fit to music! If it feels erratic or you dont sense a pattern that is also good feedback. If it was intentional the songwriter will soon tell you so.

In a lyric, look at the structure of the song, by which I mean the way it is broken into verses/choruses, the number of lines per verse and the number of syllables per line.
Remember, to be a song it ultimately needs to be put to music. Music generally has repeating parts. If you're trying to fit a line with 10 syllables into the same musical spot as something that had 5 syllables in the last verse it is going to be a squeeze!
So line 1 in verse 1 should have the same or similar syllable count as line 1 in verse 2. There's always some wiggle room.

Look at the way sentences are put together. Does it sound like a natural way of speaking or is more like formal poetry? There's no right or wrong in that, but it probably needs to match the content of the lyric. If it's meant to be a conversation between two people, a poetic style probably isnt the way to go.

Strong visual images can really help a song, though there are also plenty of successful ones without them. If someone is describing something can you almost reach out and touch it? Great feedback to receive!

With a recording, is the songwriter looking for feedback on the song itself or also on the recording and mixing? Again, we all have ears, you don't have to be an expert. Did one instrument sound very loud compared to the others? Were the vocals clear or muffled? Did it sound flat or was there too much echo? Good feedback to give.

I think the last stumbling block is that we dont want to bring anyone down by posting negative comments. Again I can only use my own feelings as a guide here. I would rather receive a negative comment than none. And I would rather receive an honest comment than a meaningless compliment. If you tell me you dislike my first 4 songs, but the 5th one is good, I am likely to believe you on the 5th one, and I probably needed to hear about the first 4 as well.

The best kind of feedback (negative or positive) is the kind that goes:
I dis/liked this part because of that, have you considered doing X? This is constructive criticism, it is specific and it offers an alternative (if the feedback is negative). I love getting feedback like that! I don't have to agree with it, and I certainly don't have to take it, but it is very helpful.

It is also good to try give an overall balance to feedback.
What was your overall impression?
What was the best part?
What needs improvement?
Any specific suggestions?

But as I said at the start I think any feedback is better than none.

The only thing that won't be tolerated is criticism of the person and not the song. It is unacceptable to call someone stupid, useless etc or to attack them on the basis of race, sex, religion or any other basis.
We are here to help each other, not to attack each other. Criticize the song, not the songwriter.

So those are things I look at. What about you?
Any suggestions on how to give helpful feedback to others?

Posted: Sun Feb 12th, 2017 08:11 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Butchie Boy

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter
I agree 100% Rainy Day Man!

Posted: Sun Feb 12th, 2017 10:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

Cool! Hope I'll see you out there posting some feedback :)

Posted: Fri Mar 17th, 2017 12:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Seamus
Contributor

Favorite Artist: 
Very well written. Don't think my Alzheimers will let me remember it all but I'll try.

Posted: Fri Mar 17th, 2017 01:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
RainyDayMan
TSF Administrator

You regularly give feedback yourself Seamus! You may have your own tips to add :)

Posted: Tue May 1st, 2018 01:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Motorist Sketchbook

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Here's a boil-down of the first post above by RainyDayMan.
His post is a good full explanation. This is intended to be
a handy tool of bullet points, as a checklist to use.

His post contained this helpful checklist:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- What was your overall impression?
- What was the best part?
- What needs improvement?
- Any specific suggestions?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Read and understand the entire post from RainyDayMan.
Then use this list as a reference guide.

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522

Posted: Wed Nov 28th, 2018 07:11 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Andrea
Contributor

Favorite Artist: Queen, Tom Petty, Metallica, Kansas, Guns N' Roses
I will do my best. I enjoy reading the posts from others. I will try to add some feedback using your guidelines, which I found quite helpful. Thanks

Posted: Sat Feb 16th, 2019 09:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Motorist Sketchbook

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
Here's the topic, everyone.
Go to the first post and read all about it. Thanks.

- Sketch

PS --- Here's my boil-down question list.
See post #1 for details.

- What was your overall impression?
- What was the best part?
- What needs improvement?
- Any specific suggestions?

Last edited on Sat Feb 16th, 2019 10:01 pm by Motorist Sketchbook

Motorist Sketchbook - SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522

Current time is 10:30 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1730 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 27 queries executed.