The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank  
AuthorPost
Troy33
Super Moderator

Favorite Artist: Rush, Yes, John Mayer, James Taylor, Pink Floyd, Stanley Clark
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician

Users can now post their own music on TSF by way of SoundCloud.

SoundCloud is a popular cloud-based service where musicians and songwriters can store and post their music files for others to hear. By joining, you can upload your music files with the ability to SHARE the songs in various ways.

Here's what to do:
  1. Set up an account on SoundCloud.
  2. Upload your music there.
  3. Click the 'SHARE' button.
  4. Select "WordPress" version and COPY the code.
  5. PASTE the code in your 'Music Database' posts here on TSF!

Attachment: soundcloud_logo.jpg (Downloaded 131 times)

Troy33
Super Moderator

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/112838886" iframe="true" /]

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter
Awsome Troy , we are on the cutting edge with this addition. I hope to try this soon.Thanks for all you do my friend .

Roy Harris

Favorite Artist: Hank Williams
Just checking to see if it works.  I was already a member of Soundcloud.

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/98982794" params="" width=" 100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
Roy, I would say it works very well as did this song .maybe I'll stay off the cloud wouldn't want it to start raining .

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Favorite Artist: Danny, James, Dennis, Charles, Rob, Don, Art, John, Mike ...
Hey! I think I'm gonna like this Soundcloud thingy, Troy! :thumbsupJust finished signing up, so here's my 'test' contribution! :D

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/113106412" params="" width=" 100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Roy Harris

Troy, that song is well......beautiful.  Is that yours?  Sara, you sure know how to bring back the memories with that one.  One of my all time favorites.  If you have posted a song recently you can go back and edit in the SoundCloud player.  I just did this on Old Friends and Fishin' Holes. 

Troy, this is a really neat feature to have on TSF.  It sure beats the old system of emailing mp3s to you and you having to post a player.  This and the YouTube feature makes TSF stand out above other songwriting forums.

I would recommend you might consider adding this info in the Posting Instructions in the  Music Data Base to make folks aware of it.  They might find it better there.  You might want to also include instructions on how to post a YouTube player there as well. 

Last edited on Mon Sep 30th, 2013 01:26 am by Roy Harris

Troy33
Super Moderator

Hey, Roy!

Glad you were a member already! Sounds great with your song there! I was trying to see if there was a way to make it happen for SoundClick too.... but I could not get it to work. I know you post your music there often. I will follow your suggestions regarding the 'Music Database' forum in a few days.

BTW: The song I posted above is not mine but a sample on the SoundCloud page I liked. But, I just joined though and posted 2 of my songs.
Art......... Too funny with your raining comment! Maybe it would thunder and lightning if we upload the right tune. :shock:
Way to go, Sara!

Sounds great there with "Fools and Angels". Glad to see you signing right up.

James Ryce

Favorite Artist: Sara Bloodworth (Still)
Roy and Sara both posted a couple of my favorite songs as a great test.  I will have to check that site out myself.

Roy, I can't tell you how much I just LOVE that song.  I need to get a copy to my steel player and bass player so they can learn it and we can do it on stage (if you don't mind).

Roy Harris

No problem James.  I'll send you lyrics and mp3.

James Ryce

Roy Harris wrote: No problem James.  I'll send you lyrics and mp3.

Thank you sir.  It is as good as any other song I have ever heard in that style!!!

James Ryce

Hey I signed up ... test with this song.

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/113206257" params="" width=" 100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Roy Harris wrote:  Sara, you sure know how to bring back the memories with that one.  One of my all time favorites. 
Thank you, Roy! It holds a lot of fond memories for me as well. :) It only took 40 years to write it...lol...but you (and Danny) above ALL knows how much it meant to me to complete it. So thanks again you two!!! :)

Like the one you posted also! :cool: And I think James likes it just a little bit too! :D lol

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Just listened to yours too James! I had forgotten how good this one is...talk about true country music! :D Shucks! After listening to all three of our songs I'd say... we'uns got's it ALL going-on when it comes to good ol' traditional country music! lol :thumbsup

James Ryce

SundownSam wrote: Just listened to yours too James! I had forgotten how good this one is...talk about true country music! :D Shucks! After listening to all three of our songs I'd say... we'uns got's it ALL going-on when it comes to good ol' traditional country music! lol :thumbsup

We is proud to be tradictional that is fer sure!!!!  Get along little doggie!

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 

Well here is my test
It's raining on my cloud :shock:

Last edited on Mon Sep 30th, 2013 07:26 pm by Arthur Holt

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Arthur Holt wrote:
Well here is my test
It's raining on my cloud :shock:

Oops! Sorry you're having trouble with it! :(

Troy33
Super Moderator

Hey James............. Love that song! :D

Troy33
Super Moderator

Check this out, Roy! I got a little more help for the code to enable this.

Some Roy Harris right here!

[http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7704507]

Troy33
Super Moderator

For SoundClick, just post the url of the song file between brackets like these [].

Copy the url you want to share off of your  song's page on SoundClick and put it between the [ and the ] characters. The change I made to the forums php file takes care of the rest! Sweeeeeeet!

Troy

Roy Harris

Awesome Troy, I'm going to check it out by editing a couple of songs in the Data Base.

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
This looks better 

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/113234804" params="" width=" 100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
Sara , thanks, I think my browser is old:X how did they know that :shock:

Troy33
Super Moderator

Roy Harris wrote: Awesome Troy, I'm going to check it out by editing a couple of songs in the Data Base.

That's great, Roy! I'd love to see these become the standard.

When other members see the SoundCloud and SoundClick code working in threads, they may follow suit in future postings themselves.

Troy

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Arthur Holt wrote: Sara , thanks, I think my browser is old:X how did they know that :shock:
You're welcome Art! But this morning I was going to put the link in your post and delete my test post and guess what? The same thing that happened to you also happened to me! :X It wouldn't let me delete it either! So you now have two non-working links in your post! lol :D

But guess what else? I went straight to another place here in the forum to test it and it posted just fine!  I immediately started singing the
  ♪ ♫ Twilight Zone ♩ ♬ song! lol  But hey, it is after all almost Halloween, so maybe we need to call Ghost Busters and get them to come check it out for us! lol :D

James Ryce

Troy33 wrote: For SoundClick, just post the url of the song file between brackets like these [].

Copy the url you want to share off of your  song's page on SoundClick and put it between the [ and the ] characters. The change I made to the forums php file takes care of the rest! Sweeeeeeet!

Troy

Nice!!!!  Good job!

I'm working on revambing my website.  Made it few years back and forget everything I managed to somehow do back then.  Think I will start from scratch with diferent software.  Maybe Wordpress.

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
SundownSam wrote:
Arthur Holt wrote: Sara , thanks, I think my browser is old:X how did they know that :shock:
You're welcome Art! But this morning I was going to put the link in your post and delete my test post and guess what? The same thing that happened to you also happened to me! :X It wouldn't let me delete it either! So you now have two non-working links in your post! lol :D

But guess what else? I went straight to another place here in the forum to test it and it posted just fine!  I immediately started singing the
  ♪ ♫ Twilight Zone ♩ ♬ song! lol  But hey, it is after all almost Halloween, so maybe we need to call Ghost Busters and get them to come check it out for us! lol :D

I think next time I will try that "widget" thing it's talking about in the post that does not work for me .
The one you posted works ,I never got to say goodbye...bye !

Troy33
Super Moderator

James Ryce wrote:"Nice!!!!  Good job!

I'm working on revamping my website.  Made it few years back and forget everything I managed to somehow do back then.  Think I will start from scratch with different software.  Maybe Wordpress.

Good luck with the website work, James. Let us know when it is complete. I am digging deep into the code again for my business websites to update/change them. Hard to remember all this html and css coding when you don't deal with it each day.

Troy33
Super Moderator

I wanted you all to know that I set up a user account for Martin (username = martin_wynne). He's the one from the UltraBB forum that made this all possible by providing the PHP coding. Thanks, Martin!

Troy

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Other
Troy33 wrote: I wanted you all to know that I set up a user account for Martin (username = martin_wynne). He's the one from the UltraBB forum that made this all possible by providing the PHP coding. Thanks, Martin!
Thanks Troy.

I regret to say I know next to nothing about music, so I won't be posting much on your forums. :)

But I enjoy developing new bits of code for UltraBB boards, so I was happy to help when you asked about embedding SoundCloud and SoundClick tracks.

I'm glad members are finding it useful. If there are any problems, just ask and I will do my best to help.

best regards,

Martin.

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
SundownSam wrote::X It wouldn't let me delete it either! So you now have two non-working links in your post! lol :D
Hi Sam,

To delete the embedded SoundCloud or SoundClick tracks, put the cursor at the end of the previous line. Then press Delete. You may need to press it more than once until the embedded track is removed.

Alternatively, click the Edit Source button instead of Edit. You can then see the actual link which you inserted, and delete it.

regards,

Martin.

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
Arthur Holt wrote: This looks better
no it does not,:X

Hi Arthur,

I'm not too sure what happened there, but I think you copied only the part of the Wordpress code which is actually visible in the box.

In an old browser you may need to right-click on it and then click Select All before you copy it.

The SoundCloud code when pasted should look like this:

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/86337819" params="" width=" 100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

regards,

Martin.

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
Hi Martin ,
That sounds like a great idea as the code looked like it was not all there,
Or I may update my browser, many thanks!
Art

SundownSam
Super Moderator

martin_wynne wrote: SundownSam wrote::X It wouldn't let me delete it either! So you now have two non-working links in your post! lol :D
Hi Sam,

To delete the embedded SoundCloud or SoundClick tracks, put the cursor at the end of the previous line. Then press Delete. You may need to press it more than once until the embedded track is removed.

Alternatively, click the Edit Source button instead of Edit. You can then see the actual link which you inserted, and delete it.

regards,

Martin.

Hey, hey, hey...look at me go! :danceface Thanks Martin! I went straight into EDIT SOURCE and it worked like a charm! :D

Thanks also for assisting Troy in getting this set up for us! It's a really cool feature that I know we are going to enjoy! :cool: Much appreciated!

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Art... I have now put your song in YOUR post and removed MY test post and some of our other clutter posts.

I also now know that Martin was right (on my behalf anyway) about only coping the part of the Wordpress code that's visible in the box. I tested out his theory to see, if in my haste, if this could possibly be what I had done. It must have been, because it did the same exact thing as it did to me and you! However, coping and pasting the entire code worked every time! :cool: Thanks for helping us solve this mystery too, Martin! :D

Oh, and BTW...welcome to our little corner of the net! :)

Troy33
Super Moderator

SundownSam wrote: ......................Thanks for helping us solve this mystery too, Martin! :D

Oh, and BTW...welcome to our little corner of the net! :)

Glad to have Martin stopping in here.

Martin has an UltraBB forum of his own which is within his website http://www.templot.com Templot software is for precision track design for model railways. Take a look at his forum and pass the word if you know anyone who shares this interest in model railways etc.

Troy

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
Ok Sara ,let's try an IPad try.

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/113559905" params="" width=" 100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Thanks to Roy Harris for this song

:D

Last edited on Sat Oct 5th, 2013 06:00 pm by Arthur Holt

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Hey! Look at you go, Art! :D  Good job, buddy! :thumbsupOkay, now I think I'll give that new Soundclick thingy a whirl! :cool:

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Troy or Martin ...does this look right? :?

[http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8691759&q=hi&newref=1]

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
SundownSam wrote: Troy or Martin ...does this look right? :?

[]http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8691759&q=hi&newref=1]

Hi Sam,

You have used the wrong link. You want the one which looks like this:

[http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12514941]

Here's the result:

[http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12514941]

Martin.

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Thanks Martin! I kinda thought I did because it didn't look like the one Roy posted in the Music Database, nor did it look the same when I opened it. :? So, off to Soundclick again find the right one!

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
p.s. Sam,

Here is where you find the link on the SoundClick page:

Don't forget to paste it inside square brackets, otherwise it will just become a normal link to the SoundClick page.

Martin.

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Okay, let's try this one!

[http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8691759]

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
Well done! :)

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Thanks! :D Yep! The first time I did it I did indeed forget to put it in brackets. But as soon as I saw it was just the link I realized what I had done, so I deleted it and did it again!

Oh, and thanks for the illustration on where to find the correct link, this will be helpful to us as well. :cool:

You know, I'm really liking being able to post my own songs here in the forum. :D Once you get the basics down pat neither of these are hard to do...which is another plus in their favor. 

Thanks again for your help on this, Martin! :)

Troy33
Super Moderator

Thanks for the screen shot Martin!... Funny thing I was doing the same exact thing and you beat me to it. You are Goooooood!

I will use my pic and others to make a permanent instruction post in the Music Database Forum sections. I will do the same for posting music files residing on SoundCloud too.

Troy33
Super Moderator

SundownSam wrote: You know, I'm really liking being able to post my own songs here in the forum. :D Once you get the basics down pat neither of these are hard to do...which is another plus in their favor. 

Thanks again for your help, Martin! :)

It will make things easier for members and lighten my workload at the same time! It's a win-win! :D

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
SundownSam wrote: Thanks again for your help on this, Martin! :)
You're welcome. :)

There doesn't seem to be any way to prevent the SoundClick tracks from playing instantly, which is why I added the extra button to open the SoundClick player only when you are ready.

The SoundClick site is a bit old-fashioned in the way it works. If, or more likely when, they upgrade it to be similar to SoundCloud, it will probably be necessary to rewrite the mod for Troy.

cheers,

Martin.

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Troy33 wrote: It will make things easier for members and lighten my workload at the same time! It's a win-win! :D
And now I don't have to learn how to post media players! hehe :D

Troy33
Super Moderator

SundownSam wrote: Troy33 wrote: It will make things easier for members and lighten my workload at the same time! It's a win-win! :D

A win-win-win!

SundownSam
Super Moderator

martin_wynne wrote: SundownSam wrote: Thanks again for your help on this, Martin! :)
You're welcome. :)

There doesn't seem to be any way to prevent the SoundClick tracks from playing instantly, which is why I added the extra button to open the SoundClick player only when you are ready.

The SoundClick site is a bit old-fashioned in the way it works. If, or more likely when, they upgrade it to be similar to SoundCloud, it will probably be necessary to rewrite the mod for Troy.

cheers,

Martin.

Wow! You ARE good! :cool: Not only can we listen when WE are ready to listen, but if more than one Soundclick link should get posted in the same thread (which does occasionally happen) with this added feature it will prevent both songs from playing at the same time whenever someone visits the song thread. So, in actuality, it will serve more than one purpose! Cool! :cool:

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
SundownSam wrote:Not only can we listen when WE are ready to listen, but if more than one Soundclick link should get posted in the same thread (which does occasionally happen) with this added feature it will prevent both songs from playing at the same time whenever someone visits the song thread. So, in actuality, it will serve more than one purpose! Cool! :cool:
Yes, that was another reason, although Troy suggested it would seldom happen, as most topics are discussing a single song.

There is a small glitch, which I could fix if it became a problem -- if two members post the same song, or it gets quoted repeatedly, clicking any of the buttons will always open the first instance of the player on the page.

For example, try clicking this button, and see that your earlier post opens instead of this one:

[http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8691759]

Martin.

SundownSam
Super Moderator

Yes, it opened the first one. Hmmm...so are you saying if I posted this same Soundclick link in the Music Database, or somewhere else in the forum, that it wouldn't play in those places...instead, it would play here on this thread? :?

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
No, only if the same song is posted more than once on the same page of a topic. If it is posted on some other page, it will play there.

I can fix this if it is a problem. I will send Troy the change to the code -- but tomorrow now as it is 2:30am here. :)

Martin.

Troy33
Super Moderator

I think it's unlikely that members would have any reason to post an identical link on the same page. Even so, the outcome is playing the song when clicked. I think it would be fine as is, Martin. No need to modify the code, but thanks anyways.

Troy

SundownSam
Super Moderator

martin_wynne wrote: No, only if the same song is posted more than once on the same page of a topic. If it is posted on some other page, it will play there.

I can fix this if it is a problem. I will send Troy the change to the code -- but tomorrow now as it is 2:30am here. :)

Martin.

Thanks for offering Martin, but I agree with Troy, it's not likely that the same song will be posted twice in the same thread, so I don't foresee this being a problem either. But we greatly appreciate all you have done to help us with this project. Thanks bunches! :)

Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
SundownSam wrote:
Troy33 wrote: It will make things easier for members and lighten my workload at the same time! It's a win-win! :D

Now we can fire up Friday night open mic. Without working Troy ,s fingers to the bone :D
Now let me try a soundclick paste:) hope this works {crossing fingers}
[http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10329824]

I did notice that the next song plays after this one finished ,is that right ?

Last edited on Mon Oct 7th, 2013 06:56 pm by Arthur Holt

martin_wynne

Favorite Artist: 
OK, I will leave it.

Actually, fixing it is proving more tricky than I expected, so I'm happy to leave it as it is. :)

cheers,

Martin.

Troy33
Super Moderator

martin_wynne wrote: OK, I will leave it.

Actually, fixing it is proving more tricky than I expected, so I'm happy to leave it as it is. :)

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks again for your efforts, Martin! This will work well.

Jim Colyer

Favorite Artist: ABBA
I'm on soundCloud but haven't been able to use it here in the Vanderbilt Library. I'll keep trying.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3060 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 55 queries executed.