The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters Home 

Welcome to The Songwriters' Forum - by Songwriters, for Songwriters!
Please log on to view our discussion forum in its entirety.

Studio
 Moderated by: Troy33, RainyDayMan, HankTheTank
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Apr 27th, 2013 03:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
fallingintwo

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Here's my home grown home studio. It's mainly an analog setup, as you can see. Older gear but it gets the job done. I used to have more gear but i recently sold a lot of it and only kept what I could not live without. Would be nice to see everyone's home studio studios

Attachment: 015.JPG (Downloaded 47 times)

Posted: Sun Apr 28th, 2013 02:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
HankTheTank

Favorite Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Rainmakers, QotSA, Nilsson
I am a: Singer/Songwriter/Musician
I don't have any pictures. Just imagine a small, messy room with a couple of dogs and a couple of birds with some recording equipment placed wherever I can find some room for it. lol

I recently bought a new computer, and none of my stuff is compatible with Windows 8 so I'm in the process of upgrading. I received some of my new stuff yesterday and the rest of it should be here next week.

The old setup is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Ableton Live 8, and a 5 year old computer that's on it's last legs. This is what all my current recordings were made on. It's good stuff, but since I can't use it on my new computer it's time for an upgrade. It's fun to get new stuff anyhow!

The new setup will be a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Ableton Live 9, and my snazzy new computer. Since I was spending money I figured I might as well go ahead and try EZdrummer.

It's all pretty basic, and relatively inexpensive, but it works and it sounds decent now that I'm kind of figuring out how to mix. When I record I just mic up the amp or keyboard. The drums have all been from the keyboard or Ableton's MIDIs but I have never been very happy with the sound of either of those options. I borrowed a bass so I'm going to try recording it directly through the audio interface. I'm also a big believer in good cords so I have upgraded all the stock cords with either Monster or Mogami. I know there's a lot of discussion about whether or not cords make any real difference, but I believe they do.

What do firefighters and policemen have in common?
They both want to be firefighters. :D

Posted: Sun Apr 28th, 2013 03:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
fallingintwo

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Singer/Songwriter
Yes, cords do make a difference. That's been my experience. That's the downfall of having a mainly analog setup though, lot's of cords and power adapters. Those two items alone of cost me quit e a bit of money over the years. Originally my studio was a midi studio (picture below). But I've since gotten into acoustic and thus the nature of my studio has changed from midi based to overdubs and mics and more live playing.

Currently I have a Roland MKII locked up to an ADAT and Yamaha D88 recorders, but I recently hunted down a JBL Cooper midi sync as a means to lock everything together. I mix down to Dat or CDR. I actually route thru the DAT for the converter quality (it add dynamics) and mix down on the CDR.

My master keyboard is a Kurzweil driving around 10 other key board and drum machine modules. Right now I'm having to re-route my midi cords as right now i'm daisy chaining, witch is never good, but again I'm having an issue finding a 8 output midi patchbay. Again, the issue with analog setups is trying to find gear to keep it running. The JBL cooper module took me around three weeks to find it and when I did I had to order it online. I live near Austin Texas and here there are numerous music stores and studios and everyone I called stated the same thing, "Oh, your old school"..hahaha. Hope your rig workout the way your hoping. Sounds like your going to have a powerful set up once everythings in place...Good luck

Attachment: studioff.jpg (Downloaded 42 times)

Posted: Thu Oct 24th, 2013 03:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Arthur Holt

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Songwriter
Here a look at my studio that I call "Pipe Dream Studio" .
I sold the drum set that was not being used and have a few more
things to sell as the dream is fading away,but it was a lot of fun.

Attachment: image.jpg (Downloaded 35 times)

Let's make some music ,

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 05:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
dnafe

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Musician
the drivers seat at ChannelK

Attachment: DSC_9516_17_18_19_20_tonemapped.jpg (Downloaded 31 times)

TMR Productions

TMR Productions on FaceBook

Posted: Sat Jan 25th, 2014 08:35 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
dnafe

Favorite Artist: 
I am a: Musician
Here's an old look at my mix room at home - it was commandeered by my son a couple of years back for his bedroom (long story) but is being reclaimed and refurbished in May when we (ChannelK) close our doors at our present location and relocate to a new facility.

Attachment: mix-front.jpg (Downloaded 29 times)

TMR Productions

TMR Productions on FaceBook

Posted: Thu Sep 15th, 2016 08:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
RFMusic

Favorite Artist: 
I simply use a DAW called Mixcraft. Sometimes I use a USB input and other times I just go through the sound card.

I use a Shure 58 and a condenser mic for the acoustic instruments.

I write drum parts using MIDI and use loops. Sometimes I add real percussion.

Posted: Thu Sep 29th, 2016 10:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Marty Ray Boone
Contributor

Favorite Artist: "Rev.Jimmy Swaggart" "Owen Hovenden" Kerry Boone
I have a "Fostex" reel to reel machine, hooked up to a power surge protector, input box, and compressor box. I bought most of those, including the mixer, from the Man who recorded my music in 1994, and he had sold his reel to reel machine, so I got one from E-Bay. He came over one day when I bought it, to set me up, by attaching all the wiring, as I would have had a real problem setting it up. He did not have any speakers to sell me, so I have always run the sound through headphones and when I make cassette copies of songs, put the headphones next to the cassette microphone for pickup. This is not the best quality of recording but it works well enough to send my homemade demos out places! I use my late brother's keyboard for recording, play my cornet, and have laid down tracks with guitar. I have 2 microphones he sold me, do the vocals with melody and harmony. I have no bass guitar, or any kind of percussion, (except for what comes through on the keyboard). I do get a pretty good sounding playback however when I finish a recording! I am very satisfied with the "Fostex" brand of recorders. These are pretty much out of fashion for current days but some people still use them. MARTY

Marty Ray Boone, now seeking God's will for my life and asking if I may serve him as a gospel bass singer and singer of harmonies in that form of music! I thank Holy God for my voice! Near perfect pitch as well, guidance for my fingers on that piano, AMEN

Current time is 12:14 am

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2016 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1696 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.