View single post by LechlerFan
 Posted: Mon May 28th, 2012 07:21 am
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
LechlerFan

That's totally a fair assessment of the HDs. There is some bleed. From an engineer perspective, I've experienced very few circumstances in which the bleed was a real issue. I can gate the bleed between a vocalist's lines or simply cut them out in Pro Tools, with the appropriate fades.

That said, most of the recordings I do are rock bands recorded "live," meaning everyone except the vocalist are being recorded simultaneously, in one room, rather than overdubbing each instrument(note: this is not that same as recording a live performance at a venue).

For my purposes, Sennheisers provide the best possible sound for the artists with an acceptable level of bleed. But, as I said, I primarily record rock bands. If you are likely to record some Damien Rice-type stuff, you need some closed-backed headphones.

Unless, of course, you're recording it "live," in which case it doesn't make a lot of difference! Or, I should say, bleed can be beneficial, detrimental, or a non-factor in that case. Figuring that out and making it work is your job as the engineer. Hell, that's your job no matter which headphones you buy. There's no one right way.

As a totally unrelated aside, because this just struck me, buy the book "Behind the Glass." There is no single book that will improve your recording abilities more than that one. Wait. I'll rephrase that by saying, "If you already understand the basics of recording, there is no more valuable book than 'Behind the Glass.'" If you don't understand the basic concepts of sound, EQ, dynamics, etc., you'd be better off reading a book on those topics... and THEN reading "Behind the Glass."

Sorry. That was a tangent.

Best of luck.

Close Window