View single post by Dusty Demos
 Posted: Fri Jul 30th, 2010 06:15 pm
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
Dusty Demos

alytrain wrote: So I've been mulling over Terry's request for a moral lesson to be added to this song.  And, I agree, doing so would make it a nicer song.  I cringe myself when I read through these lyrics and I don't find myself very sympathetic to the characters!  And, I could certainly wrap it up with a lesson, but I feel like I want to do something different. 

And I know the approach isn't for everyone,  but as a comparison, I am a huge fan of the short story genre, but the stories I am most drawn to are the ones that don't end with a tidy lesson that we could learn from.  I am most drawn to those stories that take a look at life and report rawly on the characters in it.  The characters are portrayed  in all there ugly, wonderful, tainted, twisted, beautiful, loving, hateful, selves.  I think it makes people, including myself, feel a little less lonely in the world to realize that we are all flawed in some way, and that is part of the human condition . .  Darrell, from your comments, I think you might get what I'm trying to do here and don't think I'm writing ugly, just for the sake of writing ugly . . .

So, this is one of the ugly stories, but I will also continue to search for and write the redeeming stories as well . . .

Does any of this make sense or am I shouting into the wind at myself??  LOL

If THAT'S not a hook for a new song,then I don't know what is....run with it!

As far as the lyrics I totally get it,good write about a subject that happens all the time.....gee how would I know?:(

http://www.songramp.com/homepage.php?userid=30013
Close Window